Don't post pictures from your mobile phone

Discussion in 'Security' started by imap30, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Phones like the IPhone contain information on the location that the picture was taken.

2. Posing pictures from your phone is probably smarter than posting from your personal computer. Just so everyone is educated here, anytime you take a picture a digital fingerprint is taken. Just by the photo, the type of camera, the date, any available location information is recorded in that photo. So taking a picture and posting from your phone is no more risky than from your desktop. In fact I would argue that talking and posting pictures from your phone is safer because your location can be obscured, unlike your IP address at your house. Furthermore it's much easier to "cover your tracks" if your always mobile, unlike sitting on the "X"

3. why is your username imap

[​IMG]

4. I dont know about iPhones but my Android phone gives me the option to disable Geotagging. Not that I have anything to hide.

5. Android phones > Iphones

6. #6 imap30, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
    i can track you down a lot easier with your GPS coordinates than with your ip address.

If you are worried about the government tracking you physical location using your ip(cause only the government could, not a hacker), use a proxy.

Your IP address is your computers address on a digital network. Your GPS coordinates are just that.

If you played Diablo 2 with me 9 years ago and played World of Warcraft with me currently, you would know. private joke between me and a few old friends.

7. Meh, just open the photo and use printscreen on your keyboard, paste it into MSPaint and resave it.

If you are worried about posting from your computer download the Tor package that comes with Mozilla and post from there.

8. I agree with what imap said in regard to this, but I'll also add that if you're an outdoor grower in a location other than your house, posting a pic from your computer isn't going to give away your grow location. Where as posting a pic from your phone at your grow location would result in an easy map to exactly that location.

Yup, this is definitely the safe way to go about it.

I've viewed the EXIF data on peoples pictures posted from their iPhones here before, and this is no joke. It'll give you an exact GPS location to where that picture was taken. And all anyone needs to do to see that location is get an EXIF viewer add-on for their web browser. Easy as pie.

I'm pretty sure there is an option to not show that information, but I don't have an iPhone so I couldn't tell ya where it is. :p

9. This guy knows whats up, just follow those simple steps and you're golden. Use a public computer if you are really paranoid.

10. LOL who cares the cops got better things to do :p, naahhh just kiddin i dont grow so not my problem, but unless ur growing in mass quantitys, they dont care much.....

11. Your ip address is stationary your location where your internet connection is...... On your phone GPS only matters when is turned on. Can't speak for iphone but android phones allow you to disable your GPS location (battery drain) so this wouldn't apply.
    Yes you could still triangulate the phone signal, however that doesn't provide accurate location information and the phone must be on.
    How would it be easier to track someone's phone (moving object) compared to an IP address for your home internet ?? Doesn't even hold water

12. OMG THE INTERWEBS ARE WATCHING USSSSS!!!!!! If the govt wants to find you, they will! If you have a phone, they can trace it....so...those pics...arent going to be a main give away lol.... using a proxy only goes so far, the govt, i promise, has work arounds for that. They really...dont care that much guys.... there are 100's of people on here with pics of "their" grow ops, and if some govt shit wanted to find them, they would. Simply put

13. It takes about 30 seconds to get on a proxy, less if your the customizable type. And unless you physically remove the gps from your phone I really wouldn't trust that it's really "off".

Besides, your ip address isn't very reliable, multiple people use the same computer or someone can use your wireless connection (even if it is encrypted). If the authority's were after you for whatever reason, I would much rather have a laptop than a cell. Can do everything that a phone can and more! Buy it now only 1899! This is a one time offer the deal ends monday! everythings got to go! and so on and so forth...

14. And the comment about only the government can tell your location by your IP address is just crazy thinking. I guess your local internet service provider doesn't know where they are providing services to and what your favorite website is GC :)

15. I think the main idea for recommending against posting cell phone pics is that some phones will "Geotag" the photo if you inadvertently have the feature enabled which embeds the physical coordinates in the image. When you post the pic on the forum, especially in the Outdoor Grow section you run the risk of having your plants ripped because people can find out where your plants are using that information.

16. yea it will geotag it so YOU can access to locale info, you think it doesnt tag that info in the data regardless of you wanting it to... cause it does but yes the whole, non govt people finding your shit and stealing it...would just suck dude..... if i grew a guerilla grow that got stolen, the next year, i would grow one there, and coat the plants in toxic, un-sensible, chemicals.... and thats why, you dont smoke shit, you dont know! lol

17. Also helps living in a Medical state and being legit :) :)

18. ^^^ amen to that lol, hence i have no fear in my posts!

19. play mw2 nooob!

20. if you played diablo 2 and went to wow, you already failed