Dont flame me please, but I need help with a computer build.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by kms brown, Jul 26, 2011.

1. So my friends are getting back into WoW and Im moving about an hour a way to live with my girl friend. I told them I would get back into it but my computer is a large, expensive paper weight at the moment.

When AON came out my friend "Re-built" my stock Hp for me. He threw in a GeForce 8400 GS, 2 gigs of ram, and a illegal version of windows vista 64 bit OS. This half assed OS wont even allow me to run Itunes. I was just gonna go out and buy a new OS but I check the specs for Cataclysm and my system will hardly run it at minimum settings.

Im kind of asking a lot from you guys. I dont know anything about building computers or what a north bridge is, etc. I just know I want it to run wow on max settings, have a 1tb hard drive, and the case to be a shuttle or another small cube computer. Something like this:
    Micro Center - Thermaltake Armor A30 Gaming Cube mATX Case VM70001W2Z

If anyone has time to create a wish list on new egg or something. You would be my hero.

If no one wants to help. I understand, Im being lazy and dont have the time to research all of this stuff. with having to pack and everything.

2. Do you have a budget?

Just know if you want a shuttle it will generally be more expensive because the case is so small.

Anyway, yeah, just reply with your budget and I will try to put together something for you.

3. Well to run max settings grab yourself a nice NVIDIA GTX 580 or a ATI 6970. Both great. Add in a i7 and your good to go.

4. That's probably overkill for WoW. He could slide by just fine with a 5000 series card from ati or the 400 series from nvidia. An i7 is also hardly needed. Easily could be done with an i5 or probably even an i3.

Budget plays the biggest part. If you have a good chunk of change you're willing to spend you can easily build a rig that will sustain you for the next 2-4 years of latest releases. If you don't, you can easily build a rig that will sustain you for 1-2 years, and require little upgrades along the way.

5. Budget is around 600 USD. Any higher and I'll just buy a mini Mac. The shuttle isn't necessary I just won't have alot of space for a massive tower. But I would like it to last for a while, I know technology advances rapidly so I'm not expecting more than 2-3 years.

6. WAY overkill for WOW

7. [​IMG]

lol...nah jk

8. Alright. I put this together.
    [​IMG]

Because I was a little cheaper with the processor and motherboard I was able to put a graphics card in that will last you a good long time. If you'd rather have the processing power, I could interchange the this graphics card with the previous generation and bump you up with a better cpu/mobo combination.

I'd like other people to look at this though and change what they feel is necessary. I'm not pro at building and could have missed something.

9. Don't buy a mac. Huge ripoff.

10. Not bad. The power supply is questionable. But the rest is good. Make sure you get a dvd drive unless you already have one.

11. haha. Yeah. The power supply is just attached to the case. So I have no idea of it's specs. I just figured I'd leave it though as he probably won't need more than 400w. I did forget the drive. So you'd have to toss in like another $30-50 on the price.

12. Yeah I really see no reason why he needs more than 400w. I'm not a super tech nerd or anything, but with the setup you listed there it seems like you wouldn't need anything more.

Also a 580 with i7? This is WoW we're talking about, pretty sure thats overkill, and good luck keeping a 600$ budget:D

13. Yeah. My friend just built a new comp and he is using a shuttle which only came with a 300w psu. It's running 12gbs ram, i5 750, some msi mobo, and a 6870.

I was amazed that it could run on such a small psu, but it's doing just fine. So I'd imagine 400 would work just as well.

14. Thanks for the build chocobo! I'll add to your rep once we get internet lol. Everything looks good and fast on it!

15. Wait until LGA 2011 is released soon and processors will drop in price.

16. here's my advice, don't play WoW. Battlefield 3..nuff said