Don't do that, do this!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ixoye1025, May 15, 2012.

1. I wanted to start a post that could help new people, (like myself) as well still younger growers on the art of growing. There's a lot of information out there in stickies and what not that have so much information. The problem is finding the little things that make life hell for your plants, that could have been easily avoided.

For example:

I read a lot of stuff about how to feed, when to feed, and what to feed your plants, however because I didn't link PH and the acids going into the water that feeds my plant I didn't think about using PH UP in my water to avoid lockout.
    My plants took a horrible turn, lost a lot of leaves and stunted growth because I didn't think to check that my water was 3.5 (really acidic).

So, use good water, add the correct nutrients, and then check PH and modify however you need (up or down) to get to around 6.3-6.5.

Okay, so if you would, include a little story about what happened, tell your solution/offer your advice, thanks

2. Hey all, i was transplanting from a solo cup to a 2gal planter. I had watered it lightly to re moist the soil so it wouldn't crumble apart when I went to pop it out of the cup and hold it. Well what I dint realize was the very bottom of the cup had fairly dry soil because it was only a light watering, and I dint leave it more than 2 or three mins so the water could saturate and moisten the very bottom. So as you Can imagine, it held together pretty well as I was putting it into the new pot, then all of a sudden it all kinda lost it's integrity and crumbled in to multiple large chunks and dust lol. Since it crumbled right on top of where I was putting it I just left it alone and gently put soil around it. So the lesson here today is wait a lil longer for the roots to hold a lil of the soil together, dip the cup in water briefly to let some water up into the drain holes, and let it sit there for ten mins so the moisture wicks it's way to the dry spots.
    But as a side note the seedling dint even droop it's leaves or anything, it took it like a champ, but I know it has technically stunted it's growth to repair root damage. So I will take my own advise for the next transplant to the next size up cuz at that point root damage will be a critical blow to a flowering plant. Hope this thread becomes a good resource for noobs, peace.

3. Can we get some more experienced people in here, and sharing some of those experiences......:)

4. [quote name='"Meatplow"']Hey all, i was transplanting from a solo cup to a 2gal planter. I had watered it lightly to re moist the soil so it wouldn't crumble apart when I went to pop it out of the cup and hold it. Well what I dint realize was the very bottom of the cup had fairly dry soil because it was only a light watering, and I dint leave it more than 2 or three mins so the water could saturate and moisten the very bottom. So as you Can imagine, it held together pretty well as I was putting it into the new pot, then all of a sudden it all kinda lost it's integrity and crumbled in to multiple large chunks and dust lol. Since it crumbled right on top of where I was putting it I just left it alone and gently put soil around it. So the lesson here today is wait a lil longer for the roots to hold a lil of the soil together, dip the cup in water briefly to let some water up into the drain holes, and let it sit there for ten mins so the moisture wicks it's way to the dry spots.
    But as a side note the seedling dint even droop it's leaves or anything, it took it like a champ, but I know it has technically stunted it's growth to repair root damage. So I will take my own advise for the next transplant to the next size up cuz at that point root damage will be a critical blow to a flowering plant. Hope this thread becomes a good resource for noobs, peace.[/quote]

Yeah mine are just sprouting, I have six planted. Can you post a picture of what your replanting yours in?

5. I let my dog into the basement once, week later I had mites. Never had mites before, never had them since. My dog is the type that likes to chase animals, diving right through bushes so I know that the potential is there at least, for him to be carrying mites on his fur. I won't even go down there without washing my hands and changing my shirt now.

I also tried to mother a 90% sativa in a 3 gal fabric pot (which promotes healthy growth) she quickly got out of control so I threw her into flower at just under 2' tall. I got a lot of smoke out of it, but I would consider it a disaster in terms of health and proper grow techniques, I'll never do that again.