Dont care about relationships

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by Sunny Jim, Jun 30, 2015.

1. So basically I've recently discovered that I don't really care about maintaining relationships. I like being around women, and will date for a while but in the end I just get bored, or the girl gets bored of me, and we drift apart and I end up alone. The thing is, I think that at the end of the day I actually prefer being alone. I've never held a relationship for more than a few months, and in the past I've felt anxious about this because I'm friends with couples who've been together for years and I've felt some social pressure to conform to that. But recently I've found that I don't care. I'm 23, by the way.

2. I am pretty much in the same boat, don't get me wrong I love women and occasionally wish I had a girl but whenever I get one I always regret it. Love the single life though, so much less to worry about.

3. Life should be about being happy. If you are happier being alone and not in the process of maintaining/seeking out a relationship, then so be it. There's no inherent need for one to be involved in a relationship. Social pressure to conform will always exist, no matter what topic is at hand. I think you should just do you and let other people worry about their business.

Society enforces the message that it is not only beneficial to be in a relationship, but crucial to our self-actualization. This can be true, but it can also be entirely false. Some of the most successful and innovative men in history have been lifetime bachelors, and it is hard to say that they would have arrived at their level of greatness had they also been involved in a relationship (especially one resulting in a family). It can't be said that all relationships are inherently beneficial, so I think you should focus on what brings value to your life and build on that (including strengthening existing bonds). Besides, if you stay single for the next 10 years (or at least until you are thirty) and start stacking money now, you will actually have a foundation to build upon if you do decide to have a family. Just sayin'...