Donnie Darko Explained

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Aidan M., Aug 5, 2018.

1. Donnie Darko is a very deep and complicated movie. I'm just one of many people who try to figure it out, and this is my way of doing that and organizing my thoughts. it might me a little messy but I just need to let this all out. Especially after staying up two nights in a row until seven each morning, trying to put the pieces together. Hopefully I make your understanding of the movie a little better.
    1. Donnie is what is creating the wormhole and loop in space and time, which causes the plane, (that his mom and sister are on in the future) to go down, sending the jet engine back in time through the wormhole and into Donnie's room again.
    2. Frank wants the loop to continue so he pushes Donnie off of his path through space and time.
    3. Everyone else subconsciously wants to end the loop but the only way to do that is for the jet engine to fall back in time onto Donnie in the past.
    4. Donnie, Roberta Sparrow, and Frank, all have the ability to manipulate time/see the future, but Donnie has the strongest abilities. This is why Roberta wrote the book about time travel and seemingly knew about what was going to happen with Donnie in the future as she, in the film, checks her mailbox constantly waiting for a response from Donnie. This is also why Frank can lead donnie off of his path in space and time.
    5. Examples of everyone else subconsciously knowing about the loop and trying to steer Donnie in the right direction is when his English teacher talks about "Cellar Door", which leads Donnie, (near the end of the movie) to go to The cellar door of Roberta Sparrows house, which is where his girlfriend was killed accidentally by Frank, which leads Donnie to realize Frank's plan, kill Frank, and go back in time to end the loop by ending his life with the jet engine from the future. Another example is when his therapist is holding him, as he sees Frank, and is trying to calm him down by talking about how everyone he has touched in his life will remember him.
    6. Donnie is afraid to be alone, and forgotten which is what he talks about with his therapist. This is why he follows Frank's lead until Donnie realizes that Frank's path for him is wrong. Roberta Sparrow earlier in the film, whispered into Donnie' s ear, "Every living creature on earth, dies alone." Which furthers, but at the same time, eases his fears.
    7. Love overtook fear when Donnie's love for his girlfriend and humanity, overpowered his fear of death and being alone. This is why he finally accepts his death and dies to save the world. But he is not forgotten as his story is told to everyone he has touched in his life, in the form of a dream. This is also told to happen in Roberta's book.
    8. With Donnie's death, the wormhole no longer exists in the future, which prevents the plane that his mom and sister are on, from flying into it. The loop ends which saves the world from ending.
    There are other important details that tie into the movie and make so much sense when you realize them, but these are the main details from how I perceive the film. Donnie Darko is in my opinion, one of the best pieces of art in the film industry.

2. Read this while high lmao... but really though, its trippy.

3. Why do we need you to explain what it's about... We can just watch the film lol

4. Because there are many different variations and theories on it as the film makers didn't explain what the film means, they wanted their viewers to perceive it how they perceive it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. And this is how I perceive it.

6. Donnie Darko doesn't get along too well with his family, his teachers, and his classmates; but he does manage to find a sympathetic friend in Gretchen, who agrees to date him. He has a compassionate psychiatrist, who discovers hypnosis is the means to unlock hidden secrets. His other companion may not be a true ally.

Donnie has a friend named Frank, a large bunny which only Donnie can see. When an engine falls off a plane and destroys his bedroom, Donnie is not there. Both the event, and Donnie's escape, seem to have been caused by supernatural events. Donnie's mental illness, if such it is, may never allow him to find out for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Never seen it!

~Toni~

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Great sound track

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. @Aidan M. Sorry if I sounded rude with my reply lol I just did not want to see spoilers because I asked my husband if he would buy this movie for us sometime.

~Toni~

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. It didn't come off as rude, I understand. I thought it was funny lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1

11. Good lol welcome to GC btw I hope to see you around here a lot!

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1