Donating to charity

Discussion in 'General' started by XVIPimp, Oct 20, 2008.

1. What's up y'all ?

Recently... I was doing some thinking, and realized how lucky I've been in the past year, and how I haven't done much to help out others who are less fortunate.

When I was growing up as a kid (rough times) I always told myself, that I would really like to help out others if I was ever in a position that allowed me to. So, here I am today, ready to do something.

I talked to quite a few different people about my idea, and St. Judes was mentioned a lot about being a great charity to help out. I checked it out, and couldn't agree more. I would still like to get more opinions on potential places that I could donate to.

Also, I'd really like to sign up for a program like Big Brothers/Sisters, but am afraid that a DUI in my past might disqualify me from doing that. Has anyone ever been involved with Big Bro's & Sis's before ? If I can't do that, is there something similar that might be cool with that fact ? Any other ideas of good places to volunteer is appreciated.

Thanks blades.

2. You should donate to the Weebie is broke foundation....
    No seriously,,,, do it. :)

Good for you man... There's not a better feeling in the world than helping out somebody who is truly in need... I try to help people out as much as possible... Just not with money, cuz I don't have any to spare but try to spread the good vibes as much as I can :smoke:

btw - wtf man did you win the lottery?

3. Good for you. :)

I'm sorry that I can't answer your specific questions... I don't think it would hurt to call Big Brothers/Sisters to ask and explain your situation. Maybe if they feel you are 'rehabilitated' you could actually help teach these kids by example. If not, I'm sure there are some other youth groups out there that need you.

4. Props mang, I had a big brother growing up, helped me a lot. Hopefully thats an option for you.
    Dont donate money, donate time.
    Volunteer in your neighborhood. Clean up local schools and churches, offer your services.
    This way you can do more, and will have a positive effect on your surroundings as well.
    Pick up trash, open up doors for people, pull out a lighter for people who only have matches, pick something up for someone who dropped something, the options are endless. Its the little things that count.

5. That's cool of you dude. Just be careful and look in to who you're donating too. Sadly, there are lot of bad people just looking to get some money.

6. I understand man, I've always felt like I've done a lot of good deeds in my lifetime, but never anything that truly gave back to others. At least not as much as I would like to anyway.

And nah, I didn't win the lottery or anything like that. Just happened to end up in a good position at my company, and with the economy being as shitty as it is right now... just feel lucky.

Yeah I'm going to give them a call this week and see what's up. To be honest, I've been pretty sick over the weekend, and having all of this time sitting/laying around not doing much is when I thought about all of this. My voice is still pretty raspy and I took tomorrow and Tuesday off from work... so as soon as my voice (I have a really sore throat) is somewhat normal sounding again, I'm back to business :D

I want to donate time, as well as a little bit of money. I know the holidays are coming up, and I'd like to go to one of those places that give out food to the homeless, and food baskets to family and stuff like that. I don't have much of a family myself, so it wouldn't bother me to give up my TGiving or Christmas to help someone else have a good one.

Thanks y'all

7. Thanks for the thread man, it makes my day when I see people who are loving and want to give back to the community/help out in some way.

Personally I would recommend giving to your church(if you go) or a local church. You can just tell them you want them to use the money for X and they will use it wisely. Plus Karma with the big guy upstairs:D

8. I strongly advise against that unless you really know the church well. There is a lot of corruption around churches too. They'll use it wisely on a new Porsche;)

Best advise imo. Donating time will go a lot further than money and would be more rewarding to you.

9. If I had a large sum of money, then I would definitely help less fortunate people out. However, I would start my OWN charity, that way I know where that money is going. Too many bullshitters like FEMA and the Red Cross trying to fuck people sideways.