Donating Plasma...?

Discussion in 'General' started by sxesadie, Jun 5, 2008.

1. I plan on donating plasma today for some quick cash but smoked last night. Does any one know if this will affect me being able to or not? I don't know if they will ask me the whole "have you ever smoked marijuana and when was the last time" question or not.

2. Most every plasma donation center lives up to ridiculously high standards due to the nature of their work, so I would expect to hear that question at least once. In all honesty, though, I would just answer truthfully and see how they react to it. The procedure takes about six hours the first time you go in, which includes the initial three hour battery of questions (after an hour or so of waiting), another two hours for blood examination where they can and will detect current drug levels in your system and then another hour for the extraction (if you pass, that is).

Don't worry though, they'll keep all of your information on file for the next time you go in, so you'll only need to be there for about an hour and a half during your next donation, I just want you to expect how long you're going to have to wait this first time.

Good luck! How much do they pay for the first visit in your area? It's something like $35 here, I think.

3. I've donated blood before, but never plasma....

Don't they put the rest of the blood back in??

Weird.

4. I'm interested in doing this, but not keen on needles :p. I'd seriously rather have a laceration than a puncture wound. Slice off my arm, decapitate me, dismember me piece by piece, but for god sakes keep that safety pin away from me!

I'll definitely have to look more into this around here, may be a way to get some quick bucks while being helpful! Woohoo :hello:

5. I'd donate but AFAIK here in the UK you're not allowed to if you take 'drugs', including smoking weed. As well as that I don't think we get paid to donate, its more of a good deed situation. Kinda sucks cos I'd donate often if I could.

6. Yeah, I think if I did it once, and it wasn't too bad. I'd do it as a good deed. I think the feeling of giving a piece of myself to someone who needs it is a good enough feeling :D

7. Yeah, it's typically run a little differently over here. Most blood donations are simply that, due to the fact that it's a quick procedure and you can do it multiple times per week if you want to. There was a serious surge of them during the Katrina situation, in which you could walk into practically any pharmacy or grocery store and donate as much as the law dicated was legal in a day.

Plasma donation on the other hand, is a very time consuming procedure but, other than that, I'm really not sure what the reasoning is behind paying people for every session. All I know is that you don't have to take the money, you can legally turn it down, but they usually dangle it in front of people as a key role in convincing them to donate. I guess without the prospect of cash, people couldn't possibly care less about a critically injured person's blood transfusion.

:rolleyes:

8. I'm glad I'm not people, I do care! Cash is optional, appreciated and gladly accepted, but optional.

9. sorry but what is plasma?

10. I think first time visit here is $25 and every time after is $35... or maybe I have it backwards I don't know.

I usually donate blood every few months so the needle idea doesn't freak me out but I figure if I'm gonna get paid to give away plasma why not? I'm going in a few minutes so I'll be sure to update how it went.

Edit: it's like this yellowish stuff that's in your blood and it helps people who have clotting. Most people naturally produce it.

11. Bah! Who needs it.

:p

Anyway, I haven't donated in a while. I think the last time was close to two years ago, but I'm due to go in for some basic blood tests in the next week or two. When those come back (hopefully squeaky clean, drug intake notwithstanding), I'm planning on donating plasma shortly afterwords.

12. Well, I could donate the money to charity. Not a church or any of that. Maybe buy some canned goods and donate those to a foster home or something. Maybe buy some herb with what's left, celebrate and enjoy the pleasure of kindness

13. I can donate to charity any time, but it's not morally wrong to donate plasma for cash. I need money and if people want to offer me some to help others then bam I'm killing two birds with one stone.

The process was incredibly long and drawn out (took me about 4 hours) and thankfully I had a really cool lady when she asked about drugs. She asked had I done any illict drugs and I told her marijuana last night and she looked at me and said "ehh we'll just write two weeks ago." So that was cool, I say if you get a chance to do it, go for it.