Domeless nails cracking joints? does it happen?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by sp1zzl3c4t, Oct 17, 2014.

1. #1 sp1zzl3c4t, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2014
    Recently grabbed a nice piece and I'm using a female ceramic nail that goes/wraps over joint.

I started wondering if heat transfer could ever crack the joint...

Would it be from instant overheating or from prolonged weakness... and can the joint morph or melt?

or do these instances all require very high temperatures that arent reached with normal dab usage... I don't know anything about glass and melting but would like to avoid it.

I know there are "drop downs" but are they really necessary?  My stem sticks out at a 45 degree angle so a drop down could be weird aesthetically/functionally.

Thanks for any insight on anything..

2. Found this article: http://www.highlyeducatedti.com/blog/?p=253

sparknotes:

mostly talking about titanium nail expansion and how the InfiniTi is best beacause the heat transfers to different parts unlike a one piece domeless..

For female titanium domeless nails, they tend to slide down the joint when heatedand should be taken off hot instead of trying to take it off cool because the nail has a tight seal from prior heat......

but this still doesn't completely relate to my ceramic and if this is an issue to even worry about.

3. You don't have to worry much about nails cracking joints since they're made of borosilicate glass. Borosilicate is also used to make laboratory equipment, which can withstand extreme temperatures for prolonged periods of time.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum