dolomite lime

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jake4991, Dec 17, 2010.

1. i just bought some dolomite lime(pellets).do i have to grind them up to make it a powder?and should mix it in the soil with the seedling and when i transplant it?im using happy frog soil for seedling and foxfarms black forest to transplant to.

2. #2 TANKJR, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2010
    Yes, grind it into a flour like powder....the pellets can take more than a year to have any effect on the soil. Even the flour will take a while to work. Mix about a tablespoon per gal of soil should be about a point or half point of ph(too buzzed right now to remember)...mix it up well in advance and water it and let it dry a few times to get the lime working in good before you transplant.

3. ok thank you very much:hello:.do you think i should add it when its a seedling?

4. No. You should mix your soil up for whatever seedlings, clones, or transplanting, several weeks in advance or the lime doesn't do much...it takes it awhile to change the ph...seedling would want a stable ph of about 6.5, or the soil you mixed up several weeks before, now that it's stable.:confused: dam I am soooo baked I don't even know if this makes any sense or not! :eek: more 2mro!

5. this is untrue. If you mix your soil for a year and let it sit dry in the corner of your room, nothing will change PH wise. Lime takes a while to work because water needs to break it down and carry it throughout your medium.

OP...
    you got the wrong lime. No matter how much you pulverize it, you wont get it to the consistency you want when you could just go buy it for 3 bucks. I made the same mistake the first time. oh well, i went back to lowes and bought another 10 lbs of the correct consistency for a whopping 3 dollars.

6. I said to water it in my first post....yes, it will do nothing if it's not watered and the water and time allowed to break it down. Thanks for emphasizing that grrower....LOL! I was pretty baked last night!:D

7. will this stuff still work if i grind it up really good because I bought it online

8. you are going to have to grind it up so it is as fine as baby powder. I doubt you have the ability to do that.

9. Yep....LOL! I'm not so baked now :rolleyes:, I think...maybe.... You can buy a 40lb bag of the floured dolomite lime for about $4 at sLowes....That's prolly a lifetime supply at a tablespoon per gallon of soil....so what's your time worth? I ask because you're gonna be grinding for awhile to get that stuff usable and it's really cheap to buy the right stuff to begin with...(ck the sofa cushions for pocket change)....save the pellets for your lawn or veggie garden imo.

10. I completely agree. You might have to do some searching to find it since its out of season but my local lowes had it back by the lawn fertilizers. I had to ask an employee to find it for me.

A $3 bag will fill a 5 gallon bucket. Im pretty sure i wont have to buy lime for the next 20 years.

11. Lowes is the only place in my area that has the powdered. It says 'ground' on the label. Everybody has the pellets, I use them in my garden.

Wet