Dollhouse

Discussion in 'Television/Internet TV/VOD/DVD' started by zoranj, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Oh damn, what is this Bonnie and Clyde stuff?

2. The one problem with these sub-forums is that no one ever posts in them

Come on guys, after last night's episode and this thread is dead? You should be going out of your way to come to this thread so you can discuss it with me! I'm lonely, I need to get my nerd on about last night's episode.

3. I'll pipe in.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, MAN!

4. I would love to reply but they've had Prison Break on in Nortwest Ohio and I haven't seen an episode since Adelle got shot....:mad: so I have no clue whats going on and I haven't taken the time to watch on Hulu or wherever I can watch online, I don't mind spoilers but I want to watch without knowing to much about whats going to happen...so after I watch I'll post...I'm so sad cause everyone has seen the last 2 episodes except me.:confused:

5. :laughing:

oh: and did anyone else notice that his apt was #421
    [​IMG]

6. I have to say that Alan Tudyk was pretty buff last night, and I say that as a completely straight man. I mean Wash was no slouch, but Alpha looked like one mean son of a bitch once he slipped on some Doll clothes.

Him and Nathan Fillion both. Captain Hammer? Damn...

7. Fuck yeah, Foop.

I've never seen Alan Tudyk play a 'bad guy' before. It's, er... intriguing. :p

8. #69 zoranj, May 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
    my nerd meter just went way up, Foop. :love:

9. Why? Because I might have typed in "Alan Tudyk is real buff and sexy" into google?

:p

10. I'm watching Friday's episode again cause it was so awesome and I just can't help but crack up at this exchange.

Alpha: Did you know Earth Day was last week?
    Ballard: I haven't been

:D

But on the subject of Ballard and Tahmoh Penikett the man who plays him... It should come as no shock that I'm a huge Battlestar Galactica fan, so I kinda have to be in love with Tahmoh, but even I have to admit that his acting throughout the season has been pretty spotty.

Half the time he's amazing as usual and the other half he seems so forced. But regardless of not only the up and down acting performance, the up and down plot line of his (I love his character/ I hate his character) and his almost stalker like motivations for rescuing just Caroline from the Dollhouse, I'm still firmly a Ballard fan... even though I hear nothing but hate for Tahmoh and Ballard on imdb.

11. Well, you're already well aware of my feelings on the subject of Mr Penikett/Ballard. :love:

I definitely agree that both his acting and his character's plot line has been all over the place, though.

Although, if we want to go there, we definitely have to talk about Topher. I, as well as just about every other diehard Joss Whedon obsessed person out there, absolutely hated him, for the majority of this season. We both agreed that he was a "poor man's Wash." His character had absolutely no depth and was painfully predictable for the longest time. It wasn't until "Echoes" ( the drug episode) that we even got the slightest glimpse that Topher may have something remotely charming about his personality. That was episode #7, so we got 2/3 a season of a completely shitty character, before he started coming to life.

From that episode on, I know I've slowly begun to come around to liking him and he's slowly becoming more adorable. :p Especially after the nerd buddy story line. That was almost too much to handle.

Since I completely got off topic about discussing this week's episode, I will add that I really liked how Echo's intervention with the fucked up girl was entirely Topher's idea. The huge, proud smile on his face was priceless, and even more so when it quickly got wiped off his face by DeWitt's call about uploading Dominic into Victor.

I think the reason I liked this scene is that, up to this point, Topher has been shown as pretty much amoral, and even digging the whole illegality aspect of the Dollhouse.

12. Yeah and when Topher was discussing to his lab assistant lady, I couldn't help but notice Joss starting a little spark of romance between the two for a future season. But I mean the thing about Topher is that the actor who is playing him is great, but Joss' writing for him has only started to shape up the last couple weeks.

Unlike with Ballard whos motivations and story arch is so spastic and ever changing... kind of like Joss just doesn't know what to do with the character. Combine that with Tahmoh's up and down performance and you kind of have this enigma of a character. I mean I feel that the audience should be rallying around Ballard as the main good guy, the exact counterpoint to DeWitt, but instead I think it's just the exact opposite... People HATE Ballard and his motivations.

I mean there has to be one non doll character that could be considered the good guy, which is why I'm interested to find out just what is up with Boyd. I think Boyd is definitely in cahoots with whoever the real mole is... But now just who is the mole? Asian lab asistant lady? She hasn't had enough screen time.

13. I don't know. I have to admit, one of my favorite things about the show is that there ISN'T a clear cut protagonist, or really one at all....

14. Well I mean no doubt I love a show where the characters aren't so clean cut and cookie cutter... It's why I love Malcolm Reynolds :)

BUT I think the guy who is supposed to be the knight in shining armor who brings down the Dollhouse shouldn't be this stalker-like, obsessed pervert who only cares about saving a hot piece of ass.

15. #76 zoranj, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009
    Exactly, but I think it's pretty clear at this point that Ballard isn't going to be the one that brings down the Dollhouse. At least I don't think so...

oh, and this thread has officially become foop and zoranj's dollhouse discussion. heh. :laughing:

16. Nah, still a few more pages to go before it becomes ours.

How about Doctor Saunders and if she is really just a Doll imprinted to be a doctor?

17. I haven't made up my mind about her yet, and I've put an awful lot of thought into it. Clearly there's something off about her and there's definitely way more to her than meets the eye, but I'm torn. I also have a feeling that we may never find out. :(. I highly doubt the mystery that is Dr. Saunders is going to be explained in next week's episode...

I think it would be explored next season... if there is one.

(completely out of place and no one will understand, but Angel just came on as I started writing this post....)

18. Another blog post about Alpha, I never read blogs but I find myself checking this sci fi one more and more

io9 - Alan Tudyk Explains The Theology Of Alpha - Dollhouse

as for the speculation about Dollhouse and a second season... Well there's no doubt that it's on the fence. I don't know if it's the optimist in me but I think Fox knows that they fraked up with Firefly and I think that they would give Joss one more season to prove that he can make Dollhouse into a hit.

But if I think the show fails I don't think we can completely blame Fox for making Joss shuffle around a few episodes and sticking it in a horrible timeslot. I mean as much as I love Whedon, I have to admit that this show had a pretty bad start out of the gate and was still misfiring by the midseason point.

But I think (or maybe hope) that Fox will give him one more shot to turn the show around. I mean they did give The Sarah Conner Chronicles a second season although it looks like that show is about to get the plug pulled.

Too bad they don't take into account viewings on Hulu because I bet Dollhouse is a huge hit in that regard.

19. suuuuuure.. :p

Yeah. At this point I think it could go either way as far as the chance for a second season goes. The show didn't really start getting great until episode #6, and most people aren't going to watch half a season of mediocre episodes just patiently waiting for it to get good...

I'm really hoping that FOX will give it a chance, but, I think that if it stays in its awful timeslot, there's no way it will make it past 2 seasons.