Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Doing a speech on marijuana.

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Malamala, Apr 5, 2012.

1. I'm doing a speech on Marijuana for my communications class and I'm not done with it yet, but I would like little feedback on what I have so far. Its in a speech outline so its little weird to read. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Prep Outline
    Name
    Com 101
    04/04/2012
    Specific Purpose: To inform my audience about marijuana.
    Thesis: The fight for marijuana to become legalized isn’t a new fight, but it has gathered the attention of many because of its medicinal properties and for the potential impact legalized marijuana could have on our economy.
    Introduction
    I.\tMarijuana it goes by many different names, Pot, Dope, Grass, Weed, Tree, Bud, Cannabis, but what do we really know about this plant that receives so much attention?
    II.\tMarijuana has a long history going thousands of years back to early civilizations, but it is still outlawed in most countries around the world today.
    III.\tMarijuana has many different uses ranging from recreational uses to medicinal uses.
    IV.\tIf legalized many people say that marijuana will have financial effects on the economy.
    (Transition: Let’s start at the beginning and talk about the history of marijuana.)
    Body
    I.\tMarijuana has a long history and has been debated for thousands of years.
    a.\tMarijuana has been harvested for thousands of years from many different civilizations.
    i.\tFirst harvested as hemp for fibers to make clothes, rope, or paper.
    b.\tThere are texts from Egyptian and Chinese cultures from 2000 B.C. that talk about using marijuana as a medicine. (Wright, 2011)
    i.\tWorld’s oldest medical text the Chinese Shen-nung Pen-tshao Ching recommends marijuana as a medicine. (Psychiatric times, 2010)
    c.\tMarijuana was first made illegal by the U.K. in 1928.
    d.\tDuring the 1930’s marijuana was being prescribed to Americans. (Psychiatric times, 2010)
    e.\tThe Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 was the first federal restriction on the use and distribution of marijuana.
    1.\tCreated a 1 dollar tax on every ounce of marijuana used for medical uses and a 100 dollar tax per ounce for any other purchases, as well as creating a tedious amount of paperwork. (Psychiatric times, 2010)
    a.\tFewer doctors prescribed marijuana because of this.

f.\tIn 1970 President Nixon signed the Controlled Substance Act of 1970, which separated all drugs into 5 schedules
    i.\tMarijuana was placed in Schedule 1, with heroin, ecstasy, LSD, and etc.
    g.\tIn 1996 Prop 215, the Compassionate Use Act, was passed in California (Psychiatric times, 2010)
    i.\tAllowed for marijuana to be used to treat certain ailments
    (Transition: Now that we know some of marijuana’s history, we know that it has been used as a medicine for thousands of years, but what does it actually treat and how does it treat these illnesses?
    I.\tMarijuana has been used to treat a variety of different illness; ranging from simple pain to deadly illness like AIDS, Cancer, etc.
    a.\tCancer is one disease that many people look to marijuana for relief to.
    i.\tMarijuana can help with the side effects of other drugs like chemotherapy.
    1.\tSome side effects it can cure of patients on chemotherapy are: nausea, lack of appetite, pain, and it can boost their mood.
    ii.\tResearch has also suggested that cannabinoids in marijuana may prevent or even halt the spread of cancer by only killing cancerous cells and leaving noncancerous cells alone, unlike chemotherapy. (Swerdlow, 2008)
    II.\tCannabinoids are active chemicals in marijuana, like THC, Cannabigerol, and Cannabidiol.
    a.\tTHC is the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana and can stimulate appetite, inhibit cancer cell growth, and act as an antidepressant. (Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2009)
    i.\tTHC is the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana and is responsible for creating marijuana’s euphoria.
    b.\tCannabidiol or CBD is a non-psychoactive chemical in marijuana. CBD contains many of marijuana’s medicinal benefits.
    i.\tCBD is an anti-psychotic, anti-inflammatory, and has many neuroprotective properties. (Gardner)
    ii.\tSince its non-psychoactive CBD won’t create the euphoria THC creates.

I would also like to thank Granny's List I got quite a bit of information from it.

2. The speech looks good, man. Good luck. I'll be rootin' for ya :bongin:

3. should mention the reason it became illegal, and all the propaganda and such. otherwise you've covered pretty much everything.

4. I did a speech on hemp, just dont get nervous bro. Good luck looks good present it well!

5. Thats a good idea, ill try to find a good place to fit some info in on it.

6. this is true. he gets to the ACTUAL reason it BECAME illegal at 0:55

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYA-maqor3k]Joe Rogan explains how marijuana became illegal and talks about DMT - YouTube[/ame]

7. You HAVE to have a catchy jingle and dance like Stewie and Brian.. A bag of weed a bag of weed.... :smoking:

8. Do it Def Comedy style. Play this in the background, low volume, gently - [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bezS1FoUMiE]Kid Cudi - Marijuana (Man on the Moon II) - YouTube[/ame]

Then passionately speak the words that you have prepaired.

like this

(say this slow & by pronunciation) MA RI JUA NAAAAAAAAA, (say this part fast) it goes by many different names, Pot, Dope, Grass, Weed, Tree, Bud, Cannabis, but what do we really know about this plant that receives so much attention?

(again say this slow & by pronunciation) MA RI JUA NAAAAAAAAA (again say this part fast) has a long history going thousands of years back to early civilizations, but it is still outlawed in most countries around the world today.

(AGAIN say this slow & by pronunciation) MA RI JUA NAAAAAAAAAM (say this part fast again) has many different uses ranging from recreational uses to medicinal PROP ER TEEEES

etc, etc, etc. get it? I think it'd be cool. lol.

If i was in a poetry class or some typa thing a long those lines; i'd do it like that. :smoke: B-)

9. Thank you Ill defiantly have to find a better source for it, but I figure that out haha.

10. For the medical portion of your speech, you should try to put in as much about the actual mechanisms of why cannabis is helpful for certain ailments. Without understanding the chemistry, it's just hokey folk medicine that can be easily dismissed. If you introduce the ideas of the endocannabinoid system and how THC and other molecules mimic the chemicals produced by the human body, it'll paint a more comprehensive picture.

In a speech, you are the primary source of information for your audience. While it's great that you have sources for everything, you have to understand that during your speech and after, your audience likely will not follow through and source the information themselves, so it's up to you to be as clear as possible, and provide the appropriate amount of information from each study that you are using.

11. Thank you I was looking for something else to put into medical. What kind of mechanisms are you talking about when you say "actual mechanisms of why cannabis is helpful for certain ailments"?

12. pre pre pretty green bud all in my blood, ohhh I need it. We can take off. yeah. ohhh marijuana. yeah

13. #14 sleepy96, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
    I would mention something about different methods of use, since many people are concerned about smoking. You can talk about joints, bowls, bongs, then vaporizers, and how they are much healthier than smoking. Then cover edibles, pills, and tinctures as well. Plus its fun to talk about that stuff (I've done two speech's and a formal report on marijuana for college. haha) :smoke:

BTW Granny's List is the shit, such a useful load of information! I used a majority of my sources from that as well :D

And heres the endocannabinoid system that IDKidea was talking about. SO cool!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gOYVJu__14&feature=related[/ame]

14. I'm terrible for this part, but even doing some browsing of the endocannabinoid system on Wikipedia and its sources can shed some light. The article on CBD is another good one, but you might as well go back to Granny's list for more studies on the different chemicals.

And ditto on the different applications of cannabis. Having to smoke medicine is a very weird concept to wrap your head around. Badkat has a megathread on the Edibles forum full of different recipes. I've personally made edibles, tinctures, oils, pills, and topical ointments all using cannabis.

Topical applications are a good place to anchor this part of your speech. Applying a cream directly to any part of the body can provide massive pain relief and relief of other symptoms (anecdote: it has removed all symptoms of psoriasis from my hands and joints). There is no fear of getting "high" using this method as well, just medical benefits.

From there you can drive the point home that the chemicals in cannabis can provide similar results for many different different ailments (such as schizophrenia) with much fewer side effects than conventional pharmaceuticals.

15. Early in your speech, you mention that if legalized, marijuana would have financial effects on the economy. However, you do not elaborate on this later in your speech.

I would add a few lines explaining the possibility of taxation and regulation and how it would help economies.

16. I posted this before I got to that point, but I have it added in now.

17. Heres the finished rough draft of my speech. I feel like my section on financial effects and the conclusion is alittle weak so any tips would be appreciated haha.

Introduction
    I.\tMarijuana it goes by many different names, Pot, Dope, Grass, Weed, Tree, Bud, Cannabis, but what do we really know about this plant that receives so much attention?
    II.\tMarijuana has a long history going thousands of years back to early civilizations, but it is still outlawed in most countries around the world today.
    III.\tMarijuana has many different uses ranging from recreational uses to medicinal uses.
    IV.\tIf legalized many people say that marijuana will have financial effects on the economy.
    (Transition: Let's start at the beginning and talk about the history of marijuana.)
    Body
    I.\tMarijuana has a long history and has been debated over for thousands of years.
    a.\tMarijuana has been harvested for thousands of years from many different civilizations.
    i.\tFirst harvested as hemp for fibers to make clothes, rope, or paper.
    b.\tThere are texts from Egyptian and Chinese cultures from 2000 B.C. that talk about using marijuana as a medicine. (Wright, 2011)
    i.\tWorld's oldest medical text the Chinese Shen-nung Pen-tshao Ching recommends marijuana as a medicine. (Psychiatric times, 2010)
    c.\tMarijuana was first made illegal by the U.K. in 1928.
    d.\tDuring the 1930's marijuana was being prescribed to Americans. (Psychiatric times, 2010)
    e.\tThe Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 was the first federal restriction on the use and distribution of marijuana.
    1.\tCreated a 1 dollar tax on every ounce of marijuana used for medical uses and a 100 dollar tax per ounce for any other purchases, as well as creating a tedious amount of paperwork. (Psychiatric times, 2010)
    a.\tFewer doctors prescribed marijuana because of this.

f.\tIn 1970 President Nixon signed the Controlled Substance Act of 1970, which separated all drugs into 5 schedules
    i.\tMarijuana was placed in Schedule 1, with heroin, ecstasy, LSD, and etc.
    g.\tIn 1996 Prop 215, the Compassionate Use Act, was passed in California (Psychiatric times, 2010)
    i.\tAllowed for marijuana to be used to treat certain ailments
    (Transition: Now that we know some of marijuana's history, we know that it has been used as a medicine for thousands of years, but what does it actually treat and how does it treat these illnesses?
    I.\tMarijuana has been used to treat a variety of different illness; ranging from simple pain to deadly illness like AIDS, Cancer, etc.
    a.\tCancer is one disease that many people look to marijuana for relief to.
    i.\tMarijuana can help with the side effects of other drugs like chemotherapy.
    1.\tSome side effects it can cure of patients on chemotherapy are: nausea, lack of appetite, pain, and it can boost their mood.
    ii.\tResearch has also suggested that cannabinoids in marijuana may prevent or even halt the spread of cancer by only killing cancerous cells and leaving noncancerous cells alone, unlike chemotherapy. (Swerdlow, 2008)
    II.\tCannabinoids are active chemicals in marijuana, like THC and CBD.
    a.\tTHC is the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana and can stimulate appetite, act as an antidepressant, and even inhibit cancer cell growth. (Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2009)
    i.\tTHC is the main psychoactive chemical in marijuana and is responsible for creating marijuana's euphoria.
    b.\tCBD is a non-psychoactive chemical in marijuana. CBD contains many of marijuana's medicinal benefits.
    i.\tCBD is an anti-psychotic, anti-inflammatory, and has many neuroprotective properties. (Gardner)
    ii.\tSince its non-psychoactive CBD won't create the euphoria THC creates.
    III.\tEndocannabinoids system (ECS) is a system in our body that creates natural marijuana.
    a.\tEDS is known to influence nutrient intake, and metabolism and storage.
    b.\tEndocannabinoids help stimulate appetite.
    (Transition: Now that were informed on the history and medicinal benefits of marijuana, let's move onto the financial effect legalized marijuana would have.)
    I.\tMarijuana if legalized would not only create a whole new market, but it would also reduce the amount of money spent by federal agencies, like the Drug Enforcement Administration. (D.E.A.) but also the amount spent by the judicial system and law enforcement.
    a.\tThe amount of money spent on marijuana prohibition by state and federal government in 2007 was roughly 8 billion dollars. (Duncan, 2009)
    i.\tGovernment has produced very little results in stopping the use and trafficking of marijuana.
    c.\tThe marijuana market in the United States is currently worth over 10 billion dollars. (Duncan, 2009)
    i.\tThis is untaxed money that if legalized could become taxed.
    1.\tGenerate 620 million in tax revenue if taxed at the same rate as alcohol.
    ii.\tThis will create a whole new job market for growing and distributing marijuana.
    d.\t4 billion dollars are spent arresting people for minor marijuana possession offenses. (King, 2006)
    (Transition: That that we've learned of the history, medicinal effects, and financial effects of legalizing marijuana let's review.)
    Conclusion
    I.\tMarijuana has been used throughout history for its medicinal and recreational uses and was outlawed in the 1970's by the Controlled Substance Act of 1970.
    II.\tMarijuana can help treat many different illnesses like cancer, AIDS, or pain. As well as treat side effects from other drugs like chemotherapy.
    a.\tCannabinoids in such as THC or CBD are some of the active chemicals in marijuana that treat these illnesses.
    b.\tEndocannabinoids are our body's natural marijuana and they share many of the same effects as cannabinoids in marijuana.
    III.\tFinally we know that the government spends billions of dollars on marijuana prohibition that hasn't worked and is missing out on a multibillion dollar industry.