Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Doing a research paper on how marijuana is a symbol...

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Panegrass, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

I'm doing a research paper on how the benefits of marijuana promotes social cohesion (pretty much how it brings people together) by using Howard Becker's article of Becoming a Marijuana User. He does a 3 step thing where he talks about the 3 steps of how users begin to relate marijuana to pleasure.

This pretty much sums it up as simply as it can

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~s2005.soc.134/134lecture13(feb09)bw.pdf

but if you want to read the actual article

http://www.soc.washington.edu/users/brines/becker.pdf

Now my questions that I need you guys to answer is:

1. When your with your smoking buddies, what about the marijuana makes you guys come together and enjoy it?

2. in your opinion, what are the positives of Marijuana?

3. Why do you think we haven't made any progress in Marijuana reformation

4. How do you guys feel about the article?

5. Is the article still relevant in today's society? Would you guy's still use these steps?

6. Do you think it will change in the future?

7. And lastly, do you guys think marijuana promotes Social Cohesion

You don't have to answer all of em, but if you guys did it would help alot, also if i get alot of answers for them that would be awesome as well.

Thanks!

2. #2 RVD420RVD, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
    1. We are never board. Me and my favorite smoking buddy talk about deep deep stuff why there is no peace, fucked up government, space never ending and so on. It really opens our selves up to each other

2. The list goes goes on. Im way more creative (dabble in to a lil song writing when high great stuff to haha) im more social accepting of the shit you have to do in life, it keeps me happy on a bad day knowing i have a bowl waiting for me at the end of the day, the list goes on and on

3. People are very stupid. I honestly don't know anything else to say but that. Its fucked up but its true

(artical is to damn long, sorry haha)

6. Yes but it will b a long time maybe a decade or 2 :( I feel even tho it seems we are making progess, the government is cracking down harder and harder on weed.

7. Ive had some of the best times of my life smoking with my buddies. Even meeting new people. Just last month my friend brought over his friend who i knew for a long time but never really talked to him. Found out hes really cool and now were cool

OP i hoped this helped and good luck with that paper.

3. Thanks for your input, every little bit is welcome.

4. Anyone else want to add their input?

5. 3 - Greed and corruption. People get money for it being illegal. Another viewpoint, Terrence McKenna thought that the government does not want you to do any kind of entheogen because it opens self awareness and makes you harder to control and be fed propaganda and false information. I believe his sights were aimed at other substances though

6. 1. When your with your smoking buddies, what about the marijuana makes you guys come together and enjoy it?
    - Boredom, something to do, a reason to hang out.

2. in your opinion, what are the positives of Marijuana?
    - Brings people together, enchances life typa shit, makes films worth watching.

3. Why do you think we haven't made any progress in Marijuana reformation
    - Taboo + Governments being dictated by billion dollar industries depending on it not being used

4. How do you guys feel about the article?
    - too simple, doesn't factor in things like external influences/media/tv

5. Is the article still relevant in today's society? Would you guy's still use these steps?
    - .... "smoke weed to enjoy it", retarded question man

6. Do you think it will change in the future?
    - what will change?

7. And lastly, do you guys think marijuana promotes Social Cohesion
    - yes, without a doubt. Schools are the best example of social melting pots - look at how all the kids group off into their own cliques, with their own identities and reputations. From personal experience, weed brought me into entirely different circles and also lets me have that in common with anyone else i meet who smokes weed.

7. 1. As with most other drugs, it's usually more entertaining to use Marijuana while with friends. This is in part because it gives you something to do while you smoke [talk], as well as let you share your altered state of mind with somebody else.

2. Enhanced creativity, reduced stress and anxiety, and physical relief.

3. We've slowly started making progress. Medical Marijuana being legalized in certain states, plus an increase in the acceptance of Marijuana amongst the general population, is certainly closer to the goal than before.

4. I honestly didn't read it.
    Might do it later.

5. N/A

6. It better. Otherwise, my dreams of opening a Bar/Coffee Shop/Night Club will be ruined.

7. Yes.

8. where im from, everyone smokes weed. So it isn't a big deal like in the US but i think weed just makes you more aware of your surroundings and conversations just flow better when your high. Its pretty straightforward, just light a J and do the paper already, ideas will flow through your skull

9. Thanks for the input guys, I'm not gathering your guy's answer for my own self, I need input from marijuana users in general and since i'm a frequent forum user, I thought forums would be a great way to get a sample base. Thanks again though, if anyone would like to put their input in, I could still use it.