Dohhhhh bought the wrong light!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Stratholm, Dec 12, 2018.

1. I Hi guys, brand new member here but I’ve really learned a lot already reading these forums.

About 12 years ago I had my 1st grow and pulled about 6-700 Gramms from a cupboard grow using HPS coco coir and tomato nutes. It was a wild time and turns out I was doing FIMing and LST without really knowing it as I’ve got green thumbs ( long time bonsai and fruit n veg grower) this was a clone grow with 4 plants and I think it was 900w.

So anyways this isn’t my 1st rodeo.

Now I’m starting from seed for the first time. I popped 1 Critical Kush and one Phantom OG from Barneys Farm, vegged under an (actual) 40w 27000 cfl for two weeks and then put under my shiny new LED.

Problem is I suspect the LED is shite!
    1000Wled 1000W Single Core LED Plant Grow Lamp 85V - 265V UK Plug - $59.99 Free Shipping|GearBest.com
    Like a noob I saw 1000w equivalent and bought it cause it was cheap. It actually is 68w draw.

So I’ve a few questions I hope u guys can help with please.

1. I read that the closest I should put an LED is about 18-24 inches, this light is a bit weak I think and very cool, can I put it closer? If it was a CFL at 68w id have it 6 inches away.
    2. If I need to supplement this light, like I deep down know I do, would u lot recommend I just use another 6-8 40w cfls for £60 or add another similar LED still only about £60 to spend.
    I realise that HPS would be the best option but my cupboard can’t take the heat as I’ve no venting.
    The grow is gonna be 100% organic, I’ve got them in bat shit mix.
    I’ll add a photo, I intend to mainline these plants and I’m in no rush for the veg stage.
    The grow started on 22/11/18 so it’s 3 weeks in almost. I might start a journal, the goal is 100-150 off each plant so any ideas to hit that are welcome.

I added the cfl back in today. Any ideas thoughts are warmly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. I confess I'm an old HPS user from way back should you change your mind and return to HPS

you can always buy a new door

and attach venting to that

something like top vent for extract bottom for inlet

good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Can't vouch for the unit you've got but I've had decent success with knock off systems here. Amazing how costs have gone down over the years; my first 90w UFO (still running like a champ) was over $200 but the latest additions to my galaxy are a pair of 75w COB fixtures that were $20 each.
    IMG_20181210_183854.jpg

4. That's a 68 watt LED, not 1000 watts, according to the customer reviews.
    At least 30 watts per sq ft is needed from today's QBs and COBs. More from old lights.

5. @vostok , I really can’t vent the box, I know that’s not good but the only vent would be into the room I sleep in. So HPS is out.
    @The Gorn how did you do with ya 90w UFO did it bring them to flower and did it yield?

I’m quite tempted to just throw a load of cfls in there and see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. @bkarnaze yeah I know it’s a crap light, however I think I’ve only got about 6 sq foot so my hope is to just top it up, just don’t know to go cfl or more cheap LED,s . Anyway I’ve started a journal if ya wanna see what happens.

Strath

7. @bkarnaze , will 30w per sq foot of led,s bring these to a decent yield, with good plant training?

8. The unit you're running should be able to handle 2 x 2 or 3 x 3 ft with ease. Training helps and patience more so.

9. @The Gorn
    Thanks man you’ve put my mind at rest, I think the cupboard is about 3.25sq foot so I don’t have to panic!

If you or anyone else knows if I can safely put the LED closer than 18 inch I’d love to know.

I’ve started a journal so I’ll update there weekly.

Love
    Strath

10. That's the sweet spot; they can touch the light when pressed for space without issue but 12 to 18 is best.

11. Thanks for the input Gorn, I think I’ll read up on these COB things, seems like it might be just what I’m after to supplement my buds when I flower. And at £30 a pop it’s gotta be cheaper than buying street weed!

Love
    Strath.

12. What about using it as a veg light if stuck with it? I'm a cmh lec guy

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

13. For your size area I would pick up one of these. Built in dimmer. Most efficient leds on the market. It sure doesn't break the bank either.
    Horticulture Lighting Group 100 Watt Quantum Board LED Kit V2
    [​IMG]

Samsung 301b diodes and meanwell drivers. No fans, silent operation. Can't really beat it for the price.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BLOOMSPECT 600Watt Full spectrum LED on amazon for $84 i own one, tried and true bro let me tell you! it even puts out white light, not purple (or as purple) i even own one of BLOOMSPECTS 300W models and it is AMAZING, my plants are full and lush and short and squat i have ZERO complaints! heat is next to NONE too. trust me bro, the 300watt model is only $54 you cant fucking lose man, or spend $84 for double the goodness (actual draw on 300W model is 145W from the wall)(Actual draw from 600W model is 245W from the wall) all bridgelux 5W LEDs inside, good heatsinks and fans, daisy chainable. excellent light for how cheap it is

(when searching on amazon it will be priced as their "promotional lights" which do NOT have the focusing lenses on them, the same versions WITH the lenses are 30 bucks more either or. but i bought the promotional offers for 300W and the 600W. both are the SAME light minus al the fancy labeling and daisy chain outlet. thats why they are so much cheaper

15. like i swear to god, tey work man. GREAT par output (more than DOUBLE the mars hydro competition equivalents) they run cold basicly, and the SPECTRUM is what makes them worth it. they put out beautiful light. you cannot go wrong, and it was around the same price as the light u bought correct?

16. It’s gonna be my cloning light after I get it replaced m8 thnaks

• Like Like x 1
  18. make sure you type BENEATH the end of the quotes or we wont be able to see what u shared without expanding the quote ourselves. just a heads up :)

19. yea what he said (that IS one of the best lights on the market) the only reason i suggested the bloomspect for you was because it sounded like u were trying to stay on a budget to a degree, but if u can swing it THAT is the light to get, what Tbone suggested is on point