Doh, too many plants, advice needed!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by sway23, May 12, 2008.

1. So, I currently have 9 seedlings growing. I started all of them about a week ago, and they've all sprouted.

I only have a small closet to grow them in, so can probably only realistically grow 1 or 2 plants efficiently. Since I'm only growing for my own stash, that should be enough.

However, my problem is that I don't know which of these seedlings will be female. Do any of you have any advice as to what my best option is at this point?

I'm thinking my choices are:

1) Continue growing all 9 seedlings in my grow closet and hope that I can sex them before they become too big to grow in the closet. I think this would be ideal, although I dunno how feasible that would be in a grow closet that's only 3' x 2'.

2) Junk 6 of the plants, grow the remaining 3 plants, and pray that at least one turns out female.

Any other choices/advice?

2. You'll need to sex them first and keep 2 females. When the seedlings are 2 weeks old turn the light cycle to 12 hours on followed by 12 hours off. After about 10 days they'll show their sex.

3. Ah OK, so after they show their sex, I can put them back on 24/0 and they'll go back into vegetative growth? Will this stunt their growth?

4. could someone please answer his post??? i have basically the same question.... i want to sex the plants, i have 6 in there running under 4 15 watt floros in a closet. i want to keep as many as i can and sex them as soon as i can to eliminate the male pollen and all that shwaggy shit :D

any answers, advice where to find answers, or any related topics would be greatly appreciated... thanks

cron22:smoking:

5. Yeah they'll go back into veg if you switch back to 18/6 or 24/0

6. we all started too many seeds when we started growing, just choose the healthy ones and compost the rest,

7. Im not so sure I completely agree with this. I have not ready anywhere that this is true.. Any veterans confirm this??

Usually you'd grow your 3-4 plants vegging for 3-4 weeks, then take some clippings from these plants and label them, and clone them.. once the roots on the clone are semi-established, put them in pots, and start the 12/12 lights on just the clones. This will show the sex of each plant you have.. then you can dispose of the male(s) asap and flower the other plants ASAP. keeping your first three plants as mothers always that are always vegging.. :gc_rocks:

8. if your waiting 4 weeks, taking clones, waiting for roots, then waiting for flowering i think most strains would already be showing preflowers. Would it not make more sense to take clones from the parent plant flower, then flower the parents, sex them, and choose what to grow based on the strengths of your parent plants.

Also yes the plants will go back into veg if you change the lights back, i dont think itll stunt the growth but it may shock the plants for a brief period.

9. You could send me a couple... xD

10. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely planning on taking some clippings for cloning. The problem is that I don't have two grow rooms, so it'd be difficult to flower the clones while continuing the parent plants in vegetative growth.

After doing some more research on the subject, it sounds like another alternative is to cover one of the lower branches of each plant with a dark bag for 12 hours on then 12 hours off (to force flowering on that branch). Supposedly, after a week of this, the branch should start showing signs of sex. This sounds like the best option for me at this point. Any thoughts?
    Thanks again!:hello:

11. sounds like a winner

12. you CAN put the lights on 12/12 and at the first signs of sex switch them back to 24/0.

personally, in that area i would do a 12/12 from seed. but thats me. that way you could grow all of them. and get a better yeild.