Dog Suggestions plz

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Big Sexy, Mar 11, 2013.

1. I am looking to adopt a dog. I'm moving to LA April 1st and want a dog for my new place. I'm pretty active and looking for an athletic dog to go hiking, to the beach, and jogging. Any suggestion on a cool breed for me? I do have experience owning a dog btw

2. Labs are great dogs, loyal, smart, playful and energetic. An African Mastiff is a bigger dog, huge actually and is very protective if you want a guard dog. A little intimidating if you have kids around. But very loyal and smart as well.

I have two labs myself and love them.

Best of luck!

3. #3 jmick, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
    Don't get a dog other than a lap dog, unless you own your place. Big dogs like Labs and Shepherds are great life companions, but if you are busy and can't devote enough time to them, it is a terrible thing for both owner and dog...Do yourself and the dog a favor and wait till you have the time and place to give them the care and love they deserve....I love my Black Lab but to have him in an apartment in town is cruel....Having a large dog, even if he is chill, is a huge turn off to landlords, who fear the liability of property damage, insect infestations and complaints about barking from neighbors...which can lead to higher nonrefundable deposits.....the reason I throw this out is that I have several rentals and would rent to a non pet owner much quicker than I would to someone who has a large dog...

4. Im in the same boat and I have thought of three breeds: german shepard, siberian husky, and austrailian cattle dog. All have high energy and even though the cattle dog is for herding they can be given other tasks like carrying gear for hiking and make good running partners. All of them look badass too I heard siberian huskys should have experienced owners because they can be stubborn otherwise the german shepards can be trained easy for anything and can protect you not so much a husky but cattle dogs (blue heelers/red heelers) will protect you too. I had a blue healer and she was awesome. Those are my thtee choices, just make sure you stick to a routine all 3 will go apeshit if you dont help burn off their energy.

5. Australian Shepherds are incredibly smart, extremely loyal and protective. I've had two and both were amazing.

6. Thanks everyone! I'm moving into a 3 bedroom house with one of my best friends aka my landlord. He will always not be home half of the year. He works on a ship. As far as time I can devote to the dog, I have plenty. I work from home so I will be with the dog pretty much all the time. I like these suggestions but I also was hoping for a dog that doesn't shed as much. Although it seems that all the dogs I like are shedders. Hmmm I'm also surprised no one mentioned pitbulls. I saw some amazing pits at the shelter yesterday.

Attached Files:

7. Dude get the pit. They're not at all what the media makes them out to be and you can't find a more active breed. Also when you adopt a pit, your likely saving it from a fighting ring. Sad but true

8. I know. There's so many that need a home too. I like these too but they have some health problems. The one on the left was beautiful. Really timid at first but relaxed once she got to know me. Probably cuz she was abused. She has an allergy problem tho but that could be due to the crappy food they feed her. Idk she's just over a year old. The one on the right was super cool and just a giant goofball but had hip problems already at 8 months.

9. German shepherds (real, not the washed out fakes. Look for deep reddish-brown colors) and akitas

10. I saw a few Germans but I heard they shed a ton tho right? My roommate wouldn't like that.

11. wait till you get there, and dont expect them to have alll these breeds. they have what they have

12. I can search online for almost any breed. I don't have to go to a shelter but I just preferred to. There's also a ton of rescue dogs at foster homes that have some rarer breeds.

13. Mmm not if you brush them regularly. I recommend kolenda kennels, thats where I got mine and he was the most loyal, smart, and amazing dog ive ever owned.

14. So when you say "fake Germans", I saw a couple mostly black Germans that were cool. Are those considered "fake"?

15. My roommate had a German shep and that dog redefined shedding. Like I could have started a sweater company. She was super sweet to the people that were always around but if somebody walked in that she didn't know, she seriously tried to kill them. She also went through periods of depression and would lose it when my roommate left the house. These are common problems people have with German sheps, so keep that in mind.

That being said, German shepards are not bad dogs. They are just more prone to emotional issues (territorial aggression, separation anxiety, depression) because they are very intelligent and, therefore, their reactions more extreme. I think my roommates dog was only like that because he was gone for infrequent periods of time (marines), he NEVER let her exercise, and he didn't expose her to other people/dogs when she was young. That could make any dog snap, but German sheps are more emotionally fragile and have an extremely good memory.

16. look man i have a Boxer and if ur an active person and want an active dog, get a boxer.

theyre also very adventurous lol they love walks and all that kinda stuff.

tough dog, yet such a loving breed

17. Corgi!!! They are the best!

18. I'm considering a boxer. I heard they never grow up tho. Like they always act like a puppy. Is this true? And I heard they're prone to health problems?

19. From the few I have played with puppy all the way

20. Get a whippit very active likes to run what I got