Dog getting put to sleep at noon

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Biggs1028, Aug 14, 2008.

1. My siberian huskey is 9 year olds and is getting put to sleep today at noon EST. My wife and i decided to do this after he pissed on the floor everywhere in the middle of the night and since he can't stand up he just slept in it. So smoke a joint or a bowl for him.

2. What exactly is wrong with your dog? I mean you said he can't stand up, but whyso?

I'm sorry to hear that you have to put your dog to sleep. Rough decision to have to make.

3. i'm pretty sure its just old age or something. I'm pretty sure its arthritas(sorry for spelling) in his back legs so he can bearly stand up and walk.

4. Wow, that certainly seems like drastic measures to take just because he pissed on the floor. I understand that it is in pain(because it was to helpless to move), but think about it for a second. I don't think there is anything that could make me put one of my babies to sleep, it would be the equivalent of putting a person down in my eyes. I <3 my dogs.

Everyone has a different opinion/situation though. Good luck with everything.

-C

5. #5 Starlore, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2008

Have you tried taking him to the vet in order to maybe find out the cause? I mean, it could be something fairly simple or inexpensive to fix... At least you'd also know what's wrong with him.

I know i'd at least find out if there was something I could to help before I went and did that. But I know it was probably not an easy decision either, and you know your dog best.

I had to put my dog down last month as well, it was heart breaking for me =(

Sorry to hear about it.

6. Had to put down one of our dogs 3 weeks ago - had cancer which caused many growths all over his body. He had one that was inside his mouth, like a second smaller tongue, which made it difficult to eat.
    They gave him two injections - one to knock him out before the shot that would stop his heart - that first one must have been quite strong because his legs went out from beneath him like he was drunk, tongue fell out, labored breathing, etc. Then the final injection, and he was gone.
    On another note, will you be burying him ? Cremation?

7. Well, he did say that the dog slept in its own piss cuz it couldn't walk. And if it can't wlak then that means it's in pain and won't be able to live a normal, happy life. This is for the best.

I just had to have my kitty put down a couple weeks ago after i noticed he started losing a ton of weight really fast and not eating. Turned out he was in severe kidney failure...my gf and I had to make the tough decision to have him put to sleep. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I don't cry too often (gotta be a tough guy n all that, heh) but seeing him motionless on the doctors table after the doc gave him teh sedative (to calm them before they euthanize) was too much for me and and I couldn't hold it any longer. We didn't want to leave him but we couldn't stay and watch him die either, so we said our goodbyes and left when the doc came back to finish the job.

Props to you and your wife, OP. You guys have made the right decision. Be strong and if I wasn't dry right now I'd totally smoke a bowl for all 3 of you

8. He has been having problems moving and stuff for a couple months but the past couple days he hasn't been able to move at all i would have to carry him outside and inside. We have been going to the vet and she has given us a bunch of medicines that seem to not work. My dog just looks miserable he can bearly breath i just feel like i want to end his pain.

9. Damn, yeah. Sorry I didn't know you had already been to the vet and all as you didn't mention that earlier.

As JcMartin said, you're making the right decision. It's never an easy one to make, but it's for the better in the end.

10. It's a hard thing to do, but it's the right thing to do.

I think it must be like being anesthetized, one moment you're awake and the next you're
    aware of nothing. The very last thing he'll be aware of is you being there for him.

GL man!

11. edit: didn't see that you had taken him to the vet.

R.I.P, had to put down my 13 year old setter couple of years ago for similar reasons as well

12. im srry to hear about that...i may have to put my awesome kitty down soon...i think shes got an intestinal block and theres no way i can afford to get her surgery rite now...she bloated and wont eat anything *this is from only yesterday* but we're going to give it another day or so to see if maybe itll pass...if not its bye byes chaos kitten:(

13. A good pet owner knows when it's time to let go. Are you getting another, or are you thru with dogs?

14. I'm pretty sure i'm going to get another dog but not for awhile.

15. RIP to your little buddy man.

16. Man I just went through the EXACT same situation with my dog a few weeks ago. Same problems as yours, couldn't walk, barely move, constant pain...ect.

Its horrible to put a dog down like that when theyre not actually "dying". I had to do it and it was terrible but it had to be done.

I felt like it was cruel keeping her alive like that, never happy or anything.

Heres how i looked at it, my dog lived a good life so why would i fill the end of it with misery?

GL though man i know its tough.

17. dude when i was in 5th grade my first dog buster died in my bedroom. then we got this dog thats the same kind only hes a faggot cuz he bit me and some of my friends and no one wanted to come over so hes fuckin gay

18. I don't mean to make light of a serious matter but honestly dude I'm LMAO right now at the second part of your post. It's fuckin' hilarious.

On a more serious note to the OP I'm sorry about your dog. We had to do the same thing with our dog a few years ago. He was 16.5 and had already had 1 stroke and then had another one not mention his arthritis. So after his second stroke it was pretty much the end and we had to put him down. It was one of the only times I saw my father cry. It sucks dude but its mainly for the best. Now your dog can be at peace. I'll smoke a bowl for you and your dog.

19. Im sorry about your dog... if he is in such pain its the right thing to do i guess...

20. dude.thats too bad.but you'll chill with him again someday.

heres to the pup :smoke: