Dog eating baking soda

Discussion in 'General' started by SirKevin, Jan 9, 2008.

1. My dog just ate I think 1/3 of a cup of baking soda - will she be ok?

2. Wow, I don't know... but I personally wouldn't be waiting around on a forum for an answer. LOL

3. I'd call a vet and ask.

edit: Reading up on it, it's non-toxic. I'd still call a vet to make sure though.

edit2: Baking Powder and Baking Soda

Although not really foods, baking powder and baking soda are common items found in the kitchen. They are both leavening agents, used in baked goods to create a gas, which causes doughs and batters to rise.

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Baking powder combines baking soda with an acid of some kind, usually cream of tartar, sodium aluminum sulphate or calcium acid phosphate, or a combination of the three.

If your dog eats a large amount of either of these powders, he can suffer from electrolyte changes, muscle spasms and congestive heart failure.

Keep baking soda and baking powder out of your dog's reach. If you spill some on the floor, clean it up immediately.

4. As Fax said its non-toxic, but it can react with acids in her stomach. Best to either call the vet or go to the closest 24-hour animal emergency clinic. Better safe than sorry

5. Definitely more along the lines of what I was thinking.

They'd be able to tell you for sure.

6. Well, it's been at least 20 minutes since she could have eaten it and she seems to be fine and happy. I actually think she didn't eat that much, if anything -- I was pretty stoned when I saw her and reacted, now that I think of it I don't think there was much more in the container than there was after I found her with it.

She's a pretty big female lab so I think she'd have to eat a ton to get any of those problems, with it being non toxic. Anyways my mom will be home in ten minutes or so and she'd know how much soda there was for sure -- the dog wouldn't be going to the vet until my mom got home anyways, so since things seem fine I will leave it until then.

7. shit, my chocolate lab ate a half a box one time, got the farts real bad, the vet said theres was nothing we could do except watch how much water she was drinking.
    the other day she ate a whole can of my grandsons similac baby formula mix, had 2 tie her out side she shit and farted for 2 days, stunk like a muther fucker.

8. My advice would be to put vinegar in your dog's water bowl and see what happens

9. hilarious post sky dog. cynical, but hilarious

10. hahaha the dog will either shit its brains out ...or explode.

i remember one time i was really stoned and walking my dog out back and wasnt paying attention and all of a sudden i got bit by a bee and didnt think much other than ouch. next thing i know my dog and i are being attacked by a huge hornet nest underground she stuck her nose in. her face swelled up so bad and she couldnt even open her eyes, i freaked out and called the vet and he said to just give her some benadryl and she was fine a few hours later.

its funny how sometimes being high can make a not so serious situation seem life or death.

11. anything that flies and has a stinger pisses me off >=|

hope your dog is alright as long as it wasnt a considerable amount im sure she will be fine