Does wifi work on desktops?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by I Toke Alone, Dec 20, 2013.

1. I have this old dell desktop and I'm gonna have my dad ship it to me and I'm wondering if desktops work with wifi? Don't you have to buy something special to plug into the desktop? I fucking forgot.

2. they make usb sticks to connect to wifi networks. or you can buy an internal card. for general browsing you can find a cheap one, but if you plan on streaming or gaming go with a quality one

3. uh, it fucking depends on the computer

4. [quote name="TheAnswer121" post="19199768" timestamp="1387571239"]they make usb sticks to connect to wifi networks. or you can buy an internal card. for general browsing you can find a cheap one, but if you plan on streaming or gaming go with a quality one[/quote]Yeah that's what I figured. I've never connected to wifi using a desktop. Been using smartphones and a laptop for the past 4 years.

5. I'm going to be playing starcraft 1.

6. [quote name="The Golden Spiral" post="19202242" timestamp="1387596424"]uh, it fucking depends on the computer[/quote]That was unnecessary.

7. Niiiiiiiiiceeeeeeee I fucking love that motherfucking game it's too fucking much for life man!!!

8. Since its old, i think you need a new wifi usb thing (preferably that match your wifi router brand, eg if is netgear, get netgear wifi usb)

I think the newer one has wifi thingo, but im not sure

9. you can get a wifi card, or a USB wifi thing. Both are relatively cheap and should do the job

10. Some have built in network cards. If it's an older model then it most likely does not. You can buy a wifi usb adapter or a pci-e adapter (internal card)

I would go with the usb adapter if you're not familiar with the internals of your pc. Not that it's particularly difficult to do it's just if you don't know what you're doing you could mess something up.

11. If you're putting your computer near your router, you could just purchase an ethernet cable and use that to connect. 

I don't know if you download a lot of things, but ethernet will give you the best speeds that you're paying for. Whereas wifi can get interfered with the further you are from the router and how many "obstacles" (walls, doors, etc etc) the signal needs to pass through before it gets to your computer.

Unless you're in an apartment, then disregard the ethernet cable.

12. Go buy one at Walmart or something for 30 bucks. Make sure it's wireless N spec too.Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk

13. Got an internal one with antennas for 10 bucks on ebay