Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does weed prevent glaucoma?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by humblehead, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Glaucoma runs in my family and I'm wondering if marijuana prevents it? I know people who are diagnosed with glaucoma can get medical marijuana but if it will prevent it from happening wouldn't that be reason enough to get the OK from my doctor? Anyone have any luck with this? Haha

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. It reduces pressure in the eyes caused by glaucoma, that is all.

It reduces intraocular pressure in healthy people too.

If you never have high levels of intraocular pressure, then you wont get glaucoma. 

4. #5 humblehead, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
    [quote name="Lord_Quas" post="18484362" timestamp="1376021336"]It reduces intraocular pressure in healthy people too.If you never have high levels of intraocular pressure, then you wont get glaucoma.[/quote]In other words it absolutely prevents glaucoma. My eye doctor says the odds of me getting glaucoma are very likely based on my family's history. Maybe if I get him to recommend it to my GP, I can be prescribed mmj. But the process is extremely new here in Massachusetts so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it right away. Sent from my SGH-T699 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. #6 OneOfTheGoodOnes, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    It DOES NOT prevent glaucoma. Even this article doesn't go that far. It lowers the pressure and now it has been found that it also blocks the damage caused by glaucoma. It doesn't prevent glaucoma. If it did I wouldn't have it as I've been using Cannabis for 55 years, long before it was found that I have it. 

6. #7 BookCritic, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013
    Right. It's a temporary fix for glaucoma. There is no proven long-term reduction. Based on what I know about the eye, I would go as far as to say it's unlikely to be a long-term fix, and could just as likely increase your risk for glaucoma long-term. Sad :(