Does weed help or hinder your creativity?

Discussion in 'General' started by hardtoregister, Oct 21, 2012.

1. I mean you personally, not the collective you.
    When I used to listen to Hendrix years ago, I'd think "I bet I could be that creative if I could get my hands on enough good weed"
    After decades of self-experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that weed may give me more creative ideas but it makes me too lazy/sluggish/uncoordinated to actually create anything good from those ideas.
    I played a concert once after having a smoke beforehand and I kept losing my place in the songs and hitting 2 notes with one finger and generally rooting things up. Naturally, I pissed off the rest of the band big time and the whole concert was more like a day at work for me because I had to concentrate so hard. That said; One night I had a smoke with my mate and the rest of his band during a break and he went back in and played the best set of his life afterwards. I dunno if any of you have heard of Phil Emmanuel but he was there that night and they called him up for a song. My mate and him ended up getting into a lead guitar duel and Phil got his arse handed to him. I wish weed affected me that way but sadly it has the opposite effect on my playing. I'm wondering how a good toke affects the rest of you here in the city?

2. Weed surely makes my guitar playing more creative and groovy but I find after prolongued periods of time I start to get sluggish or off tempo.. It is really great if you are trying to piece together some funky riffs or create something new but I much prefer playing sober..

Do you have any work on youtube? I am curious to see you play :smoke:

Also a massive Hendrix fan here, I can play a vast majority of his tunes and also sing them.. I consider myself a miniature Jimi H :p Cheers man :bongin:

3. It can help a creative person become more creative but if you're some average joe you're not gonna become Jimi hendrix no matter how much weed you smoke. People who are creative usually have similar brain chemistrys as schizophrenics. Mental illness is the greatest link to creativity.

4. It makes me way more creative then when I'm sober

5. Do you like making things up or just enjoy blowing such shenanigans out of your ass?

Please show me any type of proof to back up this hideous theory..

Bolded part may have been the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on the internet - and I have read a lot of stupid shit.......

6. Weed helps me write and finish up my assignment,
    it also takes out some of the anxiety if you're writing something important, so you feel more like yourself when you're writing, and yea weed opens up your mind to some thing for sure.

7. I write 90% of my lyrics while high. I get infinitely more creative when I'm high and the words just come to me.

I love a good jam sesh while high too. I don't like being precise or clean cut in the slightest though. Give me an old acoustic and I'll hammer away and sing everyone's favorite old tunes 'til my voice gives out.

8. BBC News - Creative minds 'mimic schizophrenia'
    Creativity and mental illness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Schizophrenia and Creativity | Psychology Today
    Schizophrenia & Creativity - Science Updates - Science NetLinks

its not hard to use google

9. Those are all bullshit theories with little to no scientific evidence.. Even if it may be true I can tell you str8 up that I am creative as fuck yet I am the least bit mentally ill.. There goes your theory.

10. You could have a schizophrenic brain. That doesn't mean you're mentally ill. Many people are far from mentally ill but their brain chemistry mimics that of a schizophrenic. Environmental factors trigger mental illness. It's not bullshit. You seem insecure.

11. You are in here basically saying anyone who is gifted with creativity is scizophrenic.. Do you see anything wrong with what youre saying?

12. [quote name='"Led Zepp"']You are in here basically saying anyone who is gifted with creativity is scizophrenic.. Do you see anything wrong with what youre saying?[/quote]

He's actually not saying that

13. Oh? You're totally right bro.
    [​IMG]

14. ^ he didn't say everybody though, but "usually".. which is still unproven.

There's a correlation, that is all.

15. [quote name='"Led Zepp"']

Oh? You're totally right bro.

[/quote]

He said you could have a similar brain or brain chemistry, not that you are an actual schizo
    Duhhhhh

16. [quote name='"Led Zepp"']Weed surely makes my guitar playing more creative and groovy but I find after prolongued periods of time I start to get sluggish or off tempo.. It is really great if you are trying to piece together some funky riffs or create something new but I much prefer playing sober..

Do you have any work on youtube? I am curious to see you play :smoke:

Also a massive Hendrix fan here, I can play a vast majority of his tunes and also sing them.. I consider myself a miniature Jimi H :p Cheers man :bongin:[/quote]

Start a thread with some of your stuff dude!

17. I am well aware but I am defending my beliefs that such a theory is bullshit.. Sure people with schizophrenia may be more creative then others but that doesnt automatically make every creative person scizophrenic.. Namesayin'?

18. a creative persons brain will look similar to the one on the right [​IMG]

thats all im trying to say here.

talking to yourself, fantasy world, hearing things.

if you have a great life that stuff isn't going to happen. but u could still show up the same on a catscan as a schizophrenic. that's all.

19. When I draw high it comes out unfiltered which can be good to get me started but...it makes me lazy now more than anything I used to draw stuff stoned all the time but now I don't feel it helps as much. It worked quite well to get the creative juices flowing before I decided to turn art into a career.

So every once in a while it's pretty fun and can produce some strange art. But I don't notice the details when I smoke and draw.

I think smoking as a creative amplifier can work if you are already creative and hard-working.

20. weed doesnt really affect my creativity...not to sound cocky but im a creative person already, so it really doesnt make a difference