Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does Weed Help Migraines

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Elduderino598, Aug 30, 2014.

1. I don't know if any of you guys get migraines, but they aren't just headaches. I think it's even considered a disease know.  Anyways my mom gets terrible migraines even ended up in the hospital once from one.
     I think marijuana might be able to help her but she is against it because she doesn't think it would help and mainly because it is illegal. Do you guys know of any articles or anything from reputable sources that prove that weed can get rid of a migraine? Thanks

2. Depends on the quality and strain, but I have found some help with migraines and some make them worse.

3. I think you need a strain with high CBD in it, a indica. This should calm her down from migraines, whereas a sativa might induce them.

Yup.  I have to stay away from all sativas and many hybrids, for this reason.  BUT, a few indicas make my migraines worse.  However, there are a few strains (CBDivine, Master Kush) that work wonders for my migraines.

5. as backwards as it sounds, sativas are supposed to be the best for migraines. It's fighting fire with fire. 

The best sativa for migraines is Headband. You want something that reacts in the head, and is focused there, since that is where the activity is going on. 

6. That has been the opposite of my experience.  Unfortunately, without some good science being done on this stuff, we're all flying blind, with too many variables to control.  One strain grown in the PNW may have totally different effects, totally different cannabinoid and terpene profiles, and without way more research and testing and standardizing, it's nearly impossible to know that what works for one patient's body, in one set of circumstances, will work for another.

7. Lemon kush quells my migraines and severe nausea

Sent from my SCH-R740C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I suffered from migraine auras for years and years. I'd get em' at least once or twice a months, sometimes several times each week. They're scary as hell, because you basically go blind for about a half an hour, and sometimes you have speech and motor function impairment for the duration of the event. Pain would follow about 50% of the time for me. The last migraine aura I experienced happened about a week before I started smoking again, which was two years ago.

Marijuana has literally cured my migraine auras. I don't even think of them or worry about when the next attack will come anymore. So there's your answer.

9. #9 12oad, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
    Man I could relate.. I feel less alone now that I find post like this because I always feel like I'm the only one in the world who gets migraines and the auras. Nobody I know around me gets migraines or auras. Some claim that they have "migraines" but I know deep Inside they're just having bad headaches and assume it's a migraine. Anyways, cannabis changed my life literally. I'm 20 years old and my migraine attacks has been less frequent compared to my high school days. I used to literally get them every week or two weeks. At least once a month. I'll be lucky to not get one before the month ends. Well all I gotta say is OP, I believe cannabis affects everyone differently since our genes and so on are different from one another. For me, cannabis help ease the pain of my migraines and even prevent them from future attacks. It made me more open minded and changed my perspective. Cannabis may or may not help your mother. During my discovery of migraines I had no other option but to try it out for myself. I never used pills ever, since..

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Yup, auras are freaky shit. Even after I found out what they were, they still scared the shit out of me. Like a huge fuckin' sideways U-shaped lightning bolt flashing across my entire field of vision sloooooowly, from one side to the other. Terrifying.

11. I just had one two days ago... It sucks man. I find it more annoying than being terrified of the visuals lol

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

12. Magic mushrooms legitimately help. 

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/05/longtime-sufferers-of-cluster-headaches-find-relief-in-psychedelics.html

13. I agree beaniegrl420......Headband, Blue Dream, Jack Herer......If you have not already, if anyone suffers from migranes, get Jack Herer's book  (The Emperor wore no clothes)....kinda of dated, but good migrane info.

14. A nice dab or bong rip. I've usually don't find smoking a joint helpful, but it sometimes is. Probly depending on the strain. But dabs give the immediate action.

15. Yeah true that. But ive found that if you have shitty mids that cause headaches when smoked, it wont cause headaches if u vape it

16. Grow hash plants indoors g-13 headband hybrid you'll be cured of that pesky migraine. I'm aware of outdoor quality of bud as well/ can't control the humidity of an outdoor plant though.

17. #17 Knitting Mama, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014

Actually, though I'm not a fan of dabs, but a good dab of a high-cbd medication is awesome.  Some relief in <1min, then about 5 minutes later -- BAM, or rather <sup>-- bam --</sup> , headache gone!

18. Would migrain be considered an actual qualifying condition for medical weed in california?

yes

20. my friend has migraines and was just diagnosed with MS but she says it helps a lot