Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does weed cause acne??

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by James dennit, Apr 23, 2018.

1. So get this, I haven't smoked for about 2 months now and for that reason is because of how I always broke out about 2-3 days after smoking weed. I even put it to the test I smoked for about 4 days straight and a week later I had about 8-10 new pimples on my face. But once I stopped smoking, within another week my skin was perfect again... it almost seems as if 1 session of smoking would cause 1-2 pimple if that. This absolutely sucks because I miss being SHMACKKEDDDDD lololol. If anyone can relate to this or can give their insite please do!!!

2. Maybe you get the munchies and eat too much crap and rub them greasy fingers on your face?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. No not at all, I can hardly eat bad foods due to a strict diet for a body building competition. I eat nothing but rice chicken and broccoli

4. Acne is usually more related to age. How old are you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I am 20. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that I was on accutane prior to even trying weed. And if you don't know what accutane is, it's a source of vitamin A that strips out your acne and makes your skin look amazing and basically gets rid of all your acne which it did. And once I started smoking it all came back. Not exactly sure if it was weed that brought it all back or just the acne product warring off because people do say that your acne may come back after your skin clears.

6. You are young enough to still be going through adolescent acne. Probably not cannabis related. Unless you are smoking through a gas mask. I have personally seen the zits around my friends mouth and nose from those stupid things.

• Like Like x 1
  7. No. Cannabis does not cause acne.

Side effects of your acne treatment most likely has side effects that cause acne. Smoke up and sweat it out!
    :passing-joint:

8. Yeah some people it can do that I get a slight rash now and when I stop smoking the rash goes so you sound similar to me op but you have pimples and I have dry skin patch to deal with lol

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. #9 Storm Crow, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    I don't know about "smoking cannabis" and acne, but CBD may be helpful in treating it!

Cannabidiol as a treatment for acne? (article, scroll down to p. 31 – 2010)
    www.scribd.com/doc/50251051/ICRS2009-Pheasant-Run-Illinois

Brown rice, chicken, and broccoli are are all good foods, but do not make a balanced diet. PLEASE learn more about nutrition, and from a reliable source, not some body builder's mag!

The severe lack of Omega 3 in your diet may be part of your problem! You might "sub in" some wild-caught fish and get some more Omega 3 in your diet.

Linking diet to acne metabolomics, inflammation, and comedogenesis: an update.
    Linking diet to acne metabolomics, inflammation, and comedogenesis: an update (comedogenesis = the formation of pimples)

"A paleolithic-like diet enriched in vegetables and fish is recommended. Plant-derived mTORC1 inhibitors and ω-3-PUFAs are promising dietary supplements supporting nutrition therapy of acne vulgaris." (ω-3-PUFA = Omega 3)

Omega 3 also helps to reduce any after-exercise soreness.

Adding Fish Oil to Whey Protein, Leucine, and Carbohydrate Over a Six-Week Supplementation Period Attenuates Muscle Soreness Following Eccentric Exercise in Competitive Soccer Players.
    Adding Fish Oil to Whey Protein, Leucine, and Carbohydrate Over a Six-Week Supplementation Period Attenuates Muscle Soreness Following Eccentric Ex... - PubMed - NCBI

I want you to think on this- companies put more thought into the nutritional value of pet food, than into the nutritional value of human food! Interestingly, other animals don't develop acne.

Apes can get acne if fed a human-style diet, ( https://www.quora.com/Zoology-Do-ot...-how-is-it-different-from-the-type-humans-get ) but normally, they don't get acne!

Modern humans are the only creatures that get acne as a regular thing! Here's a little challenge- Look at some "National Geographics" or any program about "primitive" people, and focus on the teens and young adults. Unless they are eating "modern foods", every kid will have beautifully clear skin! Until the sugar, refined (pro-inflammatory Omega 6) oils, and white flour appear in a society, acne, and a lot of other problems, just don't happen.

“The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids” The importance of the ratio of omega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids. - PubMed - NCBI

“Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects.”

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. - PubMed - NCBI

"Finally, the dietary-induced reduction of CB(1)R functions in mood-controlling structures was associated with impaired emotional behavior. These findings identify a plausible synaptic substrate for the behavioral alterations caused by the n-3 PUFAs deficiency that is often observed in western diets.”
    (FYI- CB1 receptors are also in charge of getting you "high". The "dietary-induced reduction of CB(1)R functions" means a lack of Omega 3 also cuts into your ability to get "high"! :smoking:)

(been in the hash again! LOL)

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Thanks! Maybe I'll smoke and hit the sauna at the gym and sweat it all out

• Like Like x 1
  11. I know i’m a little late to the posting but i’m seriously curious about the same thing. I’m 21 years old, I had completely clear and perfect skin up until about 8-9 months ago when I started heavily smoking weed. I haven’t gone a day without smoking weed for almost an entire year and my acne has tremendously gotten worse.
    I’ve tried every product under the sun, seen dermtologists, been put on antibiotics and nothing seems to work. But I started realizing that my acne started right around the time I started consistently smoking? So I did a little research, although i’m not sure if it’s true but I have heard that THC does increase testosterone levels which can cause acne. Also depending on where your weed is coming from, it can have pesticides in it which can be bad for you and cause internal issues/infections. Idk, just a possibility. I could be wrong. After researching I decided i’m going to stop smoking for a minute to see if my face will chill tf out. So i’ll keep you posted. If anyone can relate to my situation please reply!!! Not tryna stop smoking if I don’t have to.

12. Never got zits from smoking but if you smoke with the wrong folks can get herpes proablly.

13. marijuana itself doesnt cause acne, actually the opposite, there is evidence that suggests CBD specifically can actually cure acne, but its mostly anecdotal. I personally have smoked -1% thc 7% CBD bud when ive had bad acne and it helps. But any pollutant in the lungs can cause acne. I am prone to acne and I have experienced the same thing but mostly if I smoke tobacco. So yes, smoking weed can cause acne but not because of the weed, because of the smoke inhalation.