Does weed affect lungs?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Lavions, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Hi guys, wanted to ask if weed affects somehow my lungs at condition.

2. No Decrease in Pulmonary Function Associated with Long-Term Cannabis Smoking, Study Says (news - 2007) Illinois NORML - No Decrease in Pulmonary Function Associated with Long-Term Cannabis Smoking, Study Says

Marijuana doesn't harm lung function, study found (news – 2012)
    http://news.yahoo.com/marijuana-doesnt-harm-lung-function-study-found-210146886.html

Occasional marijuana use 'boosts lungs' (news – 2012)
    Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Pot smokers don't puff away lung health: study (news – 2012)
    Pot smokers don't puff away lung health: study | Reuters

3. You have that for the hard evidence, thanks Granny!

And also, anecdotal from me - I ran Cross Country and played Basketball as top performers on my school team.

I apologize now for my writing, I'm high still, and adrenaline because I just got away from a cop...

XC I smoked weed about 2-3 times a week, mainly F/S/Sunday. I improved incredibly as the season went on.

Basketball - smoked weed 4-6 times a week, got injured and was out for a month, smoking everyday then, and managed to get back in shape in about 2 weeks to play a full 32 minutes again.

I didn't notice any decrease except right after smoking (doing it high), or the next day (long night of smoking), but the feelings disappear quickly, and its back to normal.

4. I feel no effect on my soccer or basketball or runs. Actually recently last week I set a personal record of 11:39 on the 2 mile run, I toke up daily.

5. i find it helps my asthma.

6. yea it wont slow you down, your body can adjust.

7. It depends on how much you smoke moderate smokers in the study were unaffected but more heavy users had some pulmonary damage

8. Are you inhaling burning plant matter into them?

9. Inhaling combusted plant matter is obviously going to hinder and/or irritate the lungs. However, it's going to be better than say tobacco with it's multitude of chemicals which are added by manufacturers.

Also, it's going to depend on various factors like how often you're smoking and is probably subjective to some extent. e.g. are these studies looking at some random breath test they give to asthamatics (seeing how hard you exhale and measuring it) or is it based on real world performance? Are those people in tests doing cardio exercise to improve their lung health on the side? Or quite sedentary and just smoking away etc

I'd say invest in a vape and keep combusting in moderation. Lung cancer isn't really an issue as I understand it from combusting pure ganj.