Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does weed actually stop brain development?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by assymcgee420, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Yeah when you feel burnt out then it's time to take a t-break
    I was getting burnt out and I took a t-break and drunk antioxidant green tea
    I also stay hydrated with water and took a multi vitamin.
    So I'm in average human health and I feel good and my highs are amazing.
    But it's a tool to me it's how you use it and if you don't abuse it as much.
    It can teach you great things and unleash your inner creativity.
    Spread the peace and love...

2. A 2008 study suggests that long-term, heavy cannabis use (over five joints daily for more than ten years) are associated with structural abnormalities in the hippocampus and amygdala areas of the brain. The hippocampus, thought to regulate emotion and memory, and the amygdala, involved with fear and aggression, tended to be smaller in heavy and long term cannabis users than in controls (volume was reduced by an average of 12 percent in the hippocampus and 7.1 percent in the amygdala). The study concluded that "heavy daily cannabis use across protracted periods exerts harmful effects on brain tissue and mental health."

The only study on wikipedia about it. But the study isn't online, so I can't check it for you. But everything else I've read says the opposite.

3. I think the thing one must realize about a study like this is that anything in such extensive use will probably have negative effects on the brain. I'm sure that if a teenager were to drink 6 or 7 cups of coffee a day then one would find many problems with their brain as well.

4. No it stimulates brain development. Cannabinoids stimulate cell growth, including brain cells and therefore brain development.

But most importantly of all - if you don't use your brain, whether you smoke or not, development will cease.

5. Why would you ask that question? Especially on a marijuana forum. No it doesn't.

6. To clarify, I don't think there is any debate as to whether marijuana deters brain development in older persons. The question is whether the drug will cause significant brain abnormalities in frequent adolescent users. Which studies like this: Marijuana May Disrupt Brain Development | LiveScience would support. However I think the thing one must realize is that the users from a study like this smoked so much at such a young age that there is no way their brains could function normally.

7. weed is only good for your body so toke it up as much as you can :bongin:

8. You won't find a conclusive scientific answer. There's a lot of propaganda on both both sides of this issue, and it's tough for scientists to get marijuana-related grants approved.

One fact that every credible study has concluded is that marijuana use in pregnant women does have a negative impact on the development of the baby's neurological system. Given this fact, I find it very hard to believe that it has no detrimental effect when adults use it. That doesn't mean I think it "stops brain development", but still, hard to think it to be harmless when it's messing up babies in the womb.

9. That isn't a fact. Sure it has an impact on babies - but who says it's a negative one ? Cannabis does not destroy or alter in any damaging way the neurological system of babies or adults for that sake.