Does water go bad?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by WBJ, Jun 8, 2011.

1. I mixed an extra gallon of molassis and fox farmes tiger bloom about 2 weeks ago. The water mix has just been sitting in a gallon jug. Is it safe to feed to my plants? Theyre about 3 weeks into bloom and are doin great, dont want to ruin it over something simple.

2. A mixed fertilizer solution? Yes organic fertilizers certainly go bad over time and this happens much faster once mixed. Most fertilizers will smell bad/off when they go bad.

While I'm not 100% on how long the Tiger Bloom, specifically, lasts after mixing, organic teas need to be used within three days of brewing. Some won't last more than two. They can last for two weeks when refrigerated.

I wouldn't trust a fertilizer solution that's been sitting unrefrigerated for two weeks.

3. Wow, glad I asked the question. So i can refridgerate mixes? I try not to make extra but i hate waiating extra. Thanks

4. Oh yeah. Just like with people food, fertilizer mixes are said to have "gone bad" once there is enough harmful bacteria growing inside them. The difference between whether the microorganisms that grow are beneficial or harmful is usually air. The microbes inside a liquid aren't exposed to much air. Once you pour the liquid into a porous substance like soil, air is then able to reach the growing microorganisms and encourages more of the beneficial ones.

5. Might be another silly question, but should i refridgerate my open liquid ferts? Whats to stop them from going bad?

6. Unmixed organic fertilizers do go bad but most take much longer than after mixing them with water. The solution is usually concentrated enough that it's poisonous to most life, even most microorganisms. On top of that, many companies add preservatives (sometimes less efective organic ones, not always chemical) to keep their products fresh longer. Mixing with water then dilutes the concentrated fertilizer & any preservatives enough that microbes can grow faster.

I've seen Fox Farms liquid fertilizer last up to two years after opening. It probably isn't at its best after so long but at least in some cases, can be used for that long without harm to the plants. Keeping it in a cool place would certainly help it stay fresh. Even though it may last longer, I'd suggest replacing it 18mo or so after opening.

Strictly speaking, fertilizers shouldn't be kept in refrigerators containing people food. If you do, place the fertilizer bottles in trash bags, tie closed and mark with a red permanent marker.

7. If your thinking of throwing out organic nutrients, put them in your compost pile. Let your compost use them up..........shredder

8. so if it smells bad it is, u should be able add oxygen via air pump the bacteria that die and smell bad need ox to live so if your gonna leave solution going add air and your nutes life time is extended quite a bit