Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does using butter over oil have an effect on the potency of edibles using concentrate?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by MissPuff.breezey, Aug 24, 2019.

1. This is the first time i'm posting to this forum but i get alot of info from this community so i thought id see what advice i could get on this. I make edibles and ive only been doin it for a couple months but ive done alot of reaearch and am thirsty for knowledge so heres my delima i usually use wax decarbed and no added lecithin to both brownies and cookies. Here recently ive been using some thc caps that are roughly 100mg a capsule the caps are made with sunflowere oil and sunflower lecithin heated up with resin squash pucks. The first batch of brownies i made with these caps i used 12 for good measure because i wasnt sure how much was lost getting the liquid out the caps and i was skeptical on the strength of the caps, i also added lethicin to the oil,thc mixture. Those brownies came out great very potent almost too potent. This last time i just made cookies using the thc caps and butter but i didnt add any extra lethicin because i calculated for 36 cookies but came out with 23 cookies so i was thinkin they were gonna be stronger alot stronger. I personally cannot metabolize thc like normal people so i have a couple people willing to be my guinea pigs and they all said they rely didnt feel anything, i am very discouraged and honestly confused on what i could have done wrong. Any advice is much appreciated, please and thank you.

2. You said you are "skeptical on the strength of the caps" so let's talk about that first. Where did you get the caps? Did you make them yourself? Buy them at a dispensary? On the black market? Did your guinea pigs try the caps and if so did they get high from the caps?

3. Did u decarb the oil? If so what was your process? Why make baked goods out of them why not just take the capsule?

4. I actually helped/watched the person make them but they were made with pucks the thing your left with after pressing for resin

5. And yes the caps worked for the ones who took them very well

6. The answer to your thread title is......no

7. OK so you are using black market homemade caps, correct? Were the brownie caps and cookie caps from the same batch of caps, or different batches of caps?

For the brownies, you used 12 caps. How many brownies did you make?

For the cookies, you made 23 cookies. How many caps total did you use to make 23 cookies?

Did you process the caps in any way? Or just empty the contents of the caps into the brownie mix or cookie mix?

8. The oil in the caps is already decarbd so i didnt have to, and i make edibles because im good at it and i love to do it plus theres a need. I dont take the caps or eat the edibles i make because i have malabsoebtion issimues so they dont effect me the way there supposed to or at least the wY they affect other people i just dont know why the brownies turned out great and the cookies not so much.

9. Correct on the caps, 16brownies i was aiming for 60-65ish mg per brownie. I used 24 caps because i was aiming for the same mg of 60ish per cookie cause the recipe said itd make 36 cookies but ended up makin 23 cookies instead witch should have made them right at 100mg and should of had them onn there ass which is why i warnd people and gave them a regular cookie also (i cant just eat a half a cookie )lol, i just as efficiently ass possible emptied the caps in the bowl and mixed the room temp butter into i beforebi creamed the rest of the ingredients but idk jf that might have had something to do with it

10. OK so some math:

12 caps / 16 brownies = 0.75 caps per brownie
    24 caps / 23 cookies = 1.04 caps per cookie

Your cookies should have been stronger that your brownies, by my math.

How many days passed between your guinea pigs eating the brownies and eating the cookies? Maybe the brownies increased their tolerance?

11. Thats why im perplexd lol at least 3 days for on person and maybe a day if that for the other two, im just extra frustrated cause i cant try my stuff successfully lol, that is possible but even when theyd eat the brownies theyd never told me they didnt feel it even if they ate two back to back, ggrrrr trying to namaste lol i dobt even feel right selling these now either

12. How do you know the oil in the caps is already decarbed?
    Maybe the person making them forgot.
    I'm very suspicious of those caps, both about decarb and strength.

Even un-decarbed herb baked into edibles will have SOME potency, and will get SOME people high due to a partial decarb during baking.
    Brownies usually require a longer baking time than cookies, so maybe the caps weren't decarbed, but the longer baking time for the brownies decarbed much more (but still insufficiently) than the cookies with their shorter baking time.

If your strong batch had lecithin, but the weak batch didn't, maybe lack of lecithin was the problem.

13. Personally for me, 3 days is not enough time for my tolerance to come back down, after a strong edible.

I agree you probably shouldn't sell them. :)

14. #14 BrassNwood, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Keep in mind your working with ABU (already been used) grade weed so the results won't be close to what I make and take in strength.
    Decarb as pressing for rosin isn't hot enough for long enough.
    240 F for 40 minutes.is the standard agreed time and temp.

5 grams Cannabis, Kief, Hash, Wax, Shatter, Rosin or Powdered buds
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin (any kind, soy, sunflower, liquid, granules, powder)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes

Done.

Now add that to your baked good brownie-cookie required cooking oil.
    Blend well.
    Add dry ingredients and cook normally.

As long as the canna oil is done correctly all the baked goods will have the same kick for amount eaten.

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    [​IMG]
    It is this exact recipe using 160 micron dry ice kief. In the 85mg per capsule range.
    As long as the amounts are measured each batch will be the same strength.

All cooking oils hit with the same strength. Only the time it takes to be felt changes.
    Lard = Rendered Bacon fat = slowest of all but you get it back on the far end as it lasts the longest.

If you used a different supply of caps for the second round of edibles that was the weak point.

Coconut oil hits in half the time of any other oil and is virtually tasteless.

[​IMG]

Only coconut oil bypasses the stomach as it needs no bile to start it's breakdown.
    Every other cooking oil from Avocado to Sunflower needs bile to get on it's way.
    [​IMG]
    Butter and other oils = 2 hours
    Coconut oil = 45 minutes

[​IMG]

Made from the best of the best kief I can shake off my grow 1 of these will make most people see GOD.
    :)

People range wildly in amount needed when it comes to edibles.
    Low dose users = 2 mg
    High dose users = Myself = 100-300 mg at once.

Your not immune or have some weird body chemistry. My neighbor swore he couldn't get off on edibles.
    LMAO.
    He won't touch them now as he spent 30 hours tripping his brains out on my oil. Ignored my warnings and directions and ate 10 caps at once.

It's just a question of edible strength and amount needed. Eat twice what you give anybody else, wait 2 hours, eat double that amount, wait 2 more hours. Repeat every 2 hours until it works. It will work. If the edibles are made with my directions they always work.

BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. LMAO! Hey, if one is good, ten must be ten times better! :roflmao:

I'm curious about one thing though. I heard somewhere that butter absorbs THC better than coconut oil. Any truth to that?

16. Ok so maybe it was the caps that i used that was the issue plus the material used in the caps, and i know people are different but ive had hella gastro surgeries and do have issues absorbing the thc at least when im eating it ive never tried sublingual or like the gum line. Thank you that was very helpful but one more question could i substitute the coconut oil with butter in my cookies, and i think both the brownies and cookies were made from the same batch of caps.

17. Yes.
    Once my wife ( our primary cook ) saw I was using Coconut oil she tried it and now it's part of her cooking supplies. It can be used in most any recipe where you don't want the oil flavor to intrude on the dish.

When it comes to infusing cannabis into oil it really doesn't matter what is used. We quite literally tried every oil possible when I first started making capsules for my pain control. Single oils, Blends, All were tested for their effectiveness, Time to take effects. Duration of relief.
    At the end we cycled back to Coconut oil as the fastest, lowest taste, ease of supply.

Oral alcohol tincture are mostly absorbed straight in the mouth and act as Delta-9-THC Same with topical and rectal. Only eaten and sent through the liver does the body change Delta-9-THC into it's much stronger, longer lasting version 11-hydroxy-THC.

I've supplied many people with cancers and more then a few were missing major body organs and as long as part of the liver was there we got edible results with strong effects and long duration.

Once I figured out cannabis stopped my pain I was driven to make the best possible meds. I needed fast, strong and long lasting with a high that kept me functional and didn't couch lock me.

BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    Here is the source of the original recipe. Mine is essentially hers with some minor streamlining.

Delta-9 = lasts 45 minutes.
    11-hydroxy = 5 times stronger and 10 times longer lasting.

BNW

18. Ok thank you so much do you think id be better off not using the caps next time? Or swithching the butter to coconut oil and still using the caps?

19. If you have access to the pucks I'd use them and make the concentrated oil yourself as that is where the quality control is most important.

Otherwise talk with your capsule maker and see if he is making the same identical strength capsules each time.

Using Coconut oil or butter will only apply on making the initial small batches of high strength oil
    What you blend it with to cook doesn't affect it at all.

[​IMG]
    Two 15 gram piles of Kief.
    Each dish has 3 tablespoon of Coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of lecithin.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I helped run a booth a few years ago at a Cannabis Cup event and we used this stuff in all the food we had for the event.
    The hot dogs were brushed with it, The buns were toasted with it. The mustard was doctored with it as was the Catsup and everything else.
    Brownies and cookies baked with it.

Same recipe I've promoted for years now.
    BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. He did make it with the pucks both times both with the same kinda pucks and amount of pucks, hes also done this alot and has hit was of doin it, im gonna do a trial run with the coconut oil sub for butter in. Blondie brownie recipe without the caps just so i know what im in for, im also giving a cap to one of my guinea pig friends to see the strength, before i try them in the blondie brownies, im just hoping maybe it was a tolerance issue cause its really bugging me now lol. Also even though the caps have lethicin in them should i add an additional teaspoon to whatever im baking?