Does true love exist?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by bkadoctaj, Feb 8, 2009.

1. For the mods to put appropriate threads as they wish. Hey, there's a report button you can use if there's an issue you're having.

2. already done, was just letting you know before hand <3

3. thanks for your great contribution to this thread, really profound insights you have

4. right back at ya :)

5. true love is very real, I love my girl friend more then life its self. When im with her and get to talk to her and look into her eyes nothing eles in the world matters all the stress and problem go away the second we get together. I could really see myself spending the rest of my life with her, the only way i can see my self growing old is with her by my side.

6. Love certainly exists in one form or another.

7. True love most certainly does exist but you won't know or understand until you experience it yourself. It's one of those things, like God, that can't really be explained through words. Love is a lot like faith, which is weird for me to say, since I'm agnostic. I think a lot of people will never experience true love since many people are unable to really open themselves up and allow themselves to be vulnerable. When you break all the barriers down with another person and share your soul with them it's one of the greatest feelings in the world - much more intense than any drug.

8. If true love is defined as having a soul mate then I have to say no. I think you can feel love, but true love is a concept I associate more with fairy tales.

9. I believe True Love does exist, just not with everyone and the person for whom you have True Love with needs to be experienced by both. The love needs to be receptacle, and the love needs to be that burning desire feeling without being too overpowering. Just thinking about their hair or how they walk can be enough to stimulate a True Love situation if for real there is Love of the truest extent.

10. #70 McMuffinMe, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
    That seems like it's more lust based since it's about physical characteristics.

11. #71 PinkPrincess, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009
    It absolutely does form me. I met the love of my life before i turned 15. I had NO IDEA what love was but i did know that he was something different. Of course we were young so we only "dated/hung out" but i couldnt let him go. I was told by soooo many people that i was young/settling/just in puppy love and it was hard to deal with but the cool part was i NEVER agreed with those people and now we live together and are finishing college together and have all the lovely plans to get married/have a family in several years.

It amazes me that people can be together at 15 and its considered a tragedy almost, but in the end we get to enjoy who knows maybe 70-85 years together and then its considered remarkable. Damn double standard.

For me true love is caring for someone in ways unexplainable, the point where foreheads touch and so much emotion and love is felt that there is no need for words. I know what i have is true love and the coolest part about it, its only getting better and better as time goes on. People say the passion fades, well, they arent truly in love.

12. Sounds beautiful. I feel like I'm on a similar path. Best of luck to you two. :)

13. i dunno what's going on right now, i completely love my girlfriend, we've been friends for the past 4 years, and always really close, i love her more than I thought I could, she's been mad at me for the past couple of days and doesn't want to talk so I dunno what's going on, she knows that I love her, but she's been burned before so I think she's reluctant to take the leap of faith. She could be "the one", she's the only one I've ever said that about.

14. i think it depends on your definition of true love...
    you mean like perfect, story book love?
    "they lived happily ever after"?
    no, i don't think that exists.
    but you can have great love, you can have real love,
    with ups and downs
    good times and bad.
    it's the bad times in life that make the good so sweet.

15. It's just a biochemical reaction to ensure our genes are passed on and our species doesn't die out. Why do we make it so important?

The first time youre "in love" you're young, so the idea of "love" is appealing. So it doesnt take much to convince you that youre "in love", because you want it. It's a novelty. So as soon as you get into a situation where you could, in theory, be "in love" you go around proclaiming to anyone who'll listen that youre "in love".

You don't know that you are, because you have no previous experience of "love" to compare it to. And you can only know whether something actually is something by comparing it to something. And then this "love" just fizzles out-suprise suprise- except for a very few who spend their whole lives thinking they're "in love". But the second, third, or whatever, time you decide you're "in love" again, you compare it to the first time.

But you cant be "in love" again, because you haven't been in love once, because it doesn't exist. So you can NEVER be "in love" because you repeatedly compare it to an occaision when you weren't really "in love".Thats why the majority of people never realise that they're not really "in love". I'm not saying people dont have any feelings for each other. I think that when you are in a relationship with someone you really like, and get on really well with, that what you feel is an extreme happiness, because you are totally at ease with one another. But it isn't "love". So when the other person decides they don't "love" you anymore, they are actually just realising that they are not as happy as they once were. And the reason it hurts so badly is because you were happy with what you had, and you're not going to have it anymore. And also because you have so completely convinced yourself that it is "love". Anyway, thats just my opinion.

16. ^^ did you get that opinion from personal experiences?
    I thought like that at one point too, but now I completely disagree. Why do we make it so important? Cause it IS important, it's one of the most important things in life. I know that shit happens, people break up, fall out of love and so on... But that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.
    To me, it goes like this. There's the first stage, when you don't know a person too well, and you like them...that's like a crush.
    Then you're with them for a period of time, it can change, for me it was a couple of months, and then you're in love with them.
    And then, shit happens.

You may forget what it's like, I'm not sure. You can move on, or you can think you've moved on, but you really haven't. In that 2nd case... it moves on from being in love - to actually loving them. Unconditional love, I mean.

dunno where i'm going with this

17. Perhaps this is true for yourself, but you can't tell others what they do or don't feel.

Love isn't all about feeling happiness. You're mistaking the feeling of falling in love and getting to know somebody as "true love". Lasting, real love is much stronger then that, and sticks around even after those initial giddy feelings are gone. Many people never experience true love, because they don't know the difference.

18. I don't see how anyone can reduce "love" to a biochemical reaction, when the implication of that is that "opinions" are simply biochemical reactions. In other words, you're simply saying you don't know, but you'll take a scientist's words for it.

19. "I just stopped in cause I want to say, well, well, well, you can never tell.":p