Does This Soil Mix sound OK

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jcj77d, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Now im not 100% on the ratios yet, but thats why im coming to see/ask here.
    My plan is to do 100% organic growing using ACT to feed the soil.
    This mix is for 4-6 5gal pots.
    Soils i plan to mix together:

GARDEN SAFE ALL PURPOSE POTTING MIX (2 - 1.5cft bags)
    [​IMG]
    Product Description

This potting soil is formulated regionally from Canadian sphagnum peat moss, organic materials (reed-sedge peat or composted forest products), horticultural perlite, an organic wetting agent and lime for proper pH balance. OMRI Listed: Garden Safe All Purpose Potting Mix is listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute for use and production of organic food and fiber. Premium-Blend Potting Mix: Canadian sphagnum peat moss, composted organic matter, plus perlite, for excellent drainage, aeration, water and nutrient retention. Contains no yard waste or commodity fillers. Garden Safe Natural organic Plant Food: Enriched with organic plant food that provides both quick and slow release feeding for up to nine months. Contains primary nutrients essential for flowering, plant growth and vegetable yield-naturally. Organic Wetting Agent: Yucca plants have evolved to thrive even in the harshest desert conditions. Our organic wetting agent is a natural extract of yucca that helps to evenly distribute water throughout the mix and to the roots of the plant.

Fox Farm Ocean Forest (1 or 2 - 1.5cft bags)

[​IMG]

A rich blend of organic compost and ocean amendments go into Fox Farm's Ocean Forest Potting Soil. Pacific-Northwest sea-going fish, crab meal, shrimp meal, bat guano and Fox Farm's own earthworm castings makes Ocean Forest Soil provide micro nutrients and other powerful growing applications. Also contains composted forest humus and selected peat moss.

Kellogg \t\t\t\t\t\t\t3 Cu. Ft. All Natural Garden Soil (1 bag) \t\t\t\t\t\t

[​IMG]

• \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tIdeal, all natural garden soil and mulch for flowers and vegetable gardens
    • \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tRich in all natural, organic materials including: chicken manure, kelp meal, worm castings, bat guano, & forest product
    Organic Peat Humus (1 - 1cft bag)

• \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tRich mixture
    • \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tExcellent drainage
    • \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tMultipurpose planting

100% Organic Compost (40lb bag)

• \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tRegistered organic compost
    • \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tPrevents soil compaction and erosion
    • \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tReduces fertilizing and watering needs
    • \t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\t\tSafe around children and pets
    Earth Worm Castings (2lbs)

Green Sand (5lbs).

Perlite (16qrt)

I have everything except the FFOF & Kelloggs ATM, but heres my plan.
    Mix 2 bags each of Garden Safe (3cu ft) & Fox Farm (3cu ft) with 1 bag of Kelloggs Organic (3cu ft) with about .5cu ft of Organic peat Humus & about 1cu ft of Organic Compost, & 1lb of EWC & Green Sand (? how much)?, & 20% perlite.

Any tips or advice is welcome, its my 1st time mixing soils, & going 100% organic.

For my ACT recipe i plan to use:
    ocean meal, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, fish meal, cottonseed meal & flaxseed meal
    organic humus, EWC, molasses, liquid seaweed/fish & Medina Plus.

i plan to use the liquid seaweed/fish &
    Medina Plus as supplemental feedings.

again, any tips or suggestions are welcome.
    oh i have superthrive too, should i use it?
    thanks

2. sounds good... i use superthrive in my liquid seaweed waterings...

3. I wanna say about 5-6 cups of greensand to the mixture. I use it in my garden to loosen clay and obviously the nutritional/micronutrient value. It's a rock and slow releasing so you can't really put too much other than the fact that too much will obviously make the mixture too sandy (too much drainage.)
    Might i suggest some rock phosphate. some mychorrizae for your taproots/transplants. I'm not exactly sure of your Ph, but it sounds like from the organic materials involved that it'll be slightly alkaline maybe a 7 neutral, therefore, some granulated humates might be a good addition. The descriptions mention no trace elements, so another possible addition could be Azomite or something similar. It's not really neccesary but I like diversity so you could add rabbit manure or cow manure or both.
    I know humic acid comes with humus, but more couldn't hurt for an addition to your compost tea especially for flower specific brews in which you want higher counts of fungi.
    Another tip; if your devoted...

4. and a lil horticulturally whacked out as a few of us here in organics are, check out LD's information on Fermented Plant Extracts, his info on EM-1, Bokashi Composting, Beneficial indigenous microorganisms and our chat on how to culture them, Bionutrients, how to ferment fish scraps and seaweed mulch into Fish Emulsion and Seaweed Extract, Vermicomposting (not just the castings but using the "drippings" in ACT's and using FPE's to feed the worms), all are great ideas for your grow, but like i said, were a lil crazed on this subject.
    I don't personally use superthrive cause I don't know whats in it, but from the claims of people on this forum, it doesn't seem to hurt.
    Thats just my 2-cents -Gdaddy

5. #5 madodah, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
    If you want to save a few bucks over Fox Farms outrageous prices, I'm using Gardner & Bloom Organic Potting soil (made by Kellogg) along with perlite, peat and cow manure for my containers.

The G&B (from the contents label) contains fir bark, forest humus, peat moss, chicken manure, worm casings, bat guano, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, oyster shell and dolomite lime. $6.50/2cf at the local grange.

6. My 2 pennies..

You could if you wanted scrap the 3 different soils, especially the FFOF, as it's really overpriced junk IMO.

Sun Gro has some OMRI listed mediums, with Sunshine Growers natural and organic being a good one that LD recommended for me.

You could just cut that with perlite/pumice, what have you , and be done with the soil, and add the rest of your stuff to that..

I would recommend 60% soil, 30% perlite, and 10% earth worm castings is working great for me, and for many others.. then mix in the rock dusts as others have suggested.

stay away from superthrive..not organic, not needed. Find someone who wants it, and give it away.

Looks like that medina plus? is just a seaweed extract..Since you are already using fish and seaweed you probably don't need both..

7. thanks, & i am trying to follow LD's ACT recipe, the only thing i dont have is the humic acid, still looking around locally.
    i do have my own compost bin/pile that has cow manure in it, along w/ compost, soil, dirt, scraps, etc.
    i plan to inoculate the soil 1st b4 i plant the germed seeds in, so i thought that the ACT tea will have all nutes covered, even macro, micro, & trace:confused:
    +rep

8. thanks, & ffof isnt that bad @ 13$ a bag, & i already have it, so why not, + ive had great results w/ ffof in the past, & awsome results w/ garden safe.
    yes i know superthrive isnt 100% organic, but close, but wont use.
    medina plus is partly a seaweed extract, & figured that a few dif kinds of seaweed wont hurt since they are not from the same source.
    ever heard of "bonide compost maker" , b/c i can get that locally & it seems to have alot of stuff to help feed the soil & or making ACT, any thoughts?
    Bonide
    Start your compost off right with this mix of beneficial organisms! These micro-organisms can increase nutrient cycling in soil and energize compost piles. They help break down decomposing organic matter and release nutrients into the soil over time.

This compost booster stabilizes nutrients and humus, while reducing odors. It can be broadcast dry or sprayed with water onto garbage, leaves, vegetables, or other organic wastes to make valuable compost.

Package Contents:

One pound (0.45 Kg) of Compost Maker
    56 Billion Micro-organisms (give or take a few million)
    Shaker top with 2 pouring options (for either light or heavy application).

Here's a guide for mixing this microorganism mix with various blends of compost:

For Compost Piles, Drums, or Bins: Mix in one pound Compost Maker per 500 to 1000 pounds of raw materials (10-20 cubic feet). Make sure there's adequate moisture, aeration, and nitrogen rich material. For smaller compost piles, 2 Tablespoons are suggested per cubic foot.

For Leaves, Sawdust, Straw: Add 1/4 cup per cubic foot. A nitrogen source such as manure, fish, or bloodmeal will promote growth and reproduction of helpful bacteria .

For Gardens: Spread in the garden, 1 pound per 250 square feet, with 2 inches of leaves, grass, or other material. Work into soil by turning the dirt and blending the compost starter with living matter.

For Green Manures: Evenly apply 2 lbs. per acre when turning under cover crops, sod, sheet compost, or stubble.

In general, with any kind of soil or compost blend, apply 1 teaspoon of Compost Maker per cubic foot of material. Re-apply every 2 weeks, or as needed.

Spraying Instructions: Be sure sprayers and containers are clean and free of harsh chemical agents. Even tap water can contain chemicals that will kill the active bacteria, but you can evaporate chlorine and other chemicals by letting tap water sit in the sun for 4 hours before adding the Compost Maker.

Dilute no more than 4 oz. of BioActivator per gallon of cool or lukewarm water and stir well. Pour this slurry through a fine filter into your sprayer. Remove the fine screen and spray within 12 hours or the organisms will become less potent. The mix is compatible with foliar nutrients.

Other uses Compost Maker contains helpful organisms that can be used in many other ways. If you want to control odor in kennels, litter boxes, or composting toilets, just add a little bit of Compost Maker to the waste. The bacteria are also helpful for treating seeds to improve germination and plant growth.

Storage and shelf-life Please store the container in a cool dry place - it's the home to billions of beneficial organisms! If you keep the container closed, they'll stay inactive until you need them. For best results, we suggest using the compost booster within 2 years of purchase.

General information Bonide Compost Maker is a biologically active material that is non-corrosive and non-volatile. It includes seven specially adapted and formulated cultures that feed on moist organic matter. They produce stable humus, which is an excellent plant food and soil conditioner.

The mix includes Thorvin Kelp - a type of seaweed rich in minerals. The micronutrients provided by the ocean kelp feed the activator, enhancing its action. It also supplements the mineral content of your finished compost. Alfalfa, fish and yeast are also included to stimulate the heating action of Compost Maker (hot compost works faster and more efficiently).

Composting Tips Surface area is your friend. Small pieces of waste have the most surface area and will break down quickly. Any ground up organic materials, such as leaves, straw, kitchen scraps, grass clippings, or manure will compost.

Arrange materials in 4 inch layers and sprinkle a light dusting of Compost Maker over each layer. Add water, but make sure that there's good drainage to prevent moisture from drowning the bacteria. The microbes and kelp in Compost Maker will decompose the organic matter into rich, mineral laden compost that brings your soil to life.

9. That's the same soil I use as my base.........it's local and a good deal. I add additional wormcasts and perlite, along with minerals (glacial rock dust) dolomite, and diatomaceous earth.

My next go around I'm going to use a mineral mix that contains azomite/dolomite/glacial rock dust/greensand and softrock phosphate. It's called Naomi's mineral mix (thanx for the tip LD)

I think you've got a got a good foundation for an organic soil mix with what you have local to you jcj.......if you can source some minerals, you should be good to go.

Take care bro,

chunk

10. This is my first year of growing outdoors in containers but I've long used G&B's Harvest Supreme as an amendment for my in-ground grows. Excellent products at realistic prices.

11. #11 jcj77d, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2010
    thanks, will look for Naomis mineral mix
    & i cant find that soil locally, might order some "roots organic"

where can i find Naomi's mineral mix, ive looked, but no success?

12. #12 jcj77d, Apr 4, 2010
    can i use this Shop Espoma 4 Lbs. Bio-Tone at Lowes.com for my soil too.
    specs:
    Bio-tone® Starter Plus 4-3-3
    All Natural Plant Food Enhanced With Bacteria, and Mycorrhizae

Available in 4 and 25 lb. Size
    1 pound equals approx. 3 cupfuls.

* Microbe enhanced all natural plant food
    * Includes both Endo & Ecto Mycorrhizae
    * Grows larger root mass to help plants establish fast
    * Promotes bigger blooms
    * Reduces transplant loss

Non-Plant Food Ingredients:

Contains 1,341 colony forming units (CFU’s) per gram of 7 different species.
    Ectomycorrhizal Fungi: 97,440 propagules per gram:
    Endomycorrhizal Fungi: 2.64 propagules per gram:

or http://www.lowes.com/pd_146778-1321...5974_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_quantity_sold|0
    specs:
    Total Nitrogen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.0%
    0.2%. . . . Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    0.6%. . . . Water Soluble Nitrogen
    2.2%. . . . Water Insoluble Nitrogen
    Available Phosphate (P2O5) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.0%
    Soluble Potash (K2O). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.0%
    Calcium (Ca) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.0%
    Magnesium (Mg). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.0%
    0.7%. . . . Water Soluble Magnesium
    Sulfur (S). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.0%
    Derived from: Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Pasteurized
    Poultry Manure, Cocoa Meal, Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal,
    Greensand, Humates, Sulfate of Potash, and Sulfate of
    Potash Magnesia.
    *Contains 2.2% Slow Release Nitrogen.
    Non Plant Food Ingredients:
    Contains 3,804,705 colony forming units (CFU’s) per lb.
    (253,647 CFU’s per lb. of each of the following 15 species):
    Acidovorax facillis Marinibacillus marinus
    Arthrobacter agilis Paenibacillus lentimorbus
    Bacillus licheniformis Paenibacillis polymyxa
    Bacillus megaterium Pseudomonas alcaligenes
    Bacillus oleronius Pseudomonas chlororaphis
    Bacillus pumilis Pseudomonas putida
    Bacillus subtilis Rhodococcus rhodochorus
    Bacillus thuringiensis
    While fertilizer materials have unlimited shelf life, the
    beneficial microbes in this product are best used within two
    years of the production date (see side panel for production
    date). After that time their numbers may be reduced.

& then get "medina's Humate Humic Acid"

13. #13 Chunk, Apr 4, 2010

jcj77

Naomi's Mineral Mix is a blend of Azomite/Greensand/Soft Rock Phosphate/Glacial Rock Dust and Limestone. It is locally available from an organic farm store here in Portland ,Oregon. I'm trying it out for the first time on my current grow, and have heard LD speak highly of it.

I think he sources the raw materials and mixes his own however, Naomi's has 25# and 50# bags that are already blended, which serves my purposes better.

I think you could source the individual components and blend it yourself, I've seen smaller size boxes available. Down To Earth has several of the minerals and you don't necessarily need all of them. Until this grow I've used only Glacial Rock Dust and Dolomite (limestone) as my mineral additives.

Here is a link to their single ingredient fertilizer page. There is a where to buy link on the page so you may be able to source it locally. You could also use oyster shell flour in place of the limestone. Soft rock phosphate is not only good in the soil, but is good in an AACT, as it gives fungal microbes a surface to latch onto as well as a food source.

I hope you can find the minerals you need without a lot of hassle.

Take care bro,

chunk

EDIT; Concentrates_PriceList_090624_NM This place has Naomi's Mineral Mix and will ship, however they only have 50# bags and the shipping could be steep.

14. thanks again, im gonna head out tomorrow & see if i can find any of those.:D

15. jc, did you ever get any response on the bonide compost maker question? I've got a can of it myself and getting ready to mix it in my soil recipe. Doesn't read like it would hurt anything so I'm doing it. Also, I'm using the espoma starter-tone product like 1TBSP per 2 gals of container.

Where you at on all this research?