Does this look like a possible way for the first life to rise on earth?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Sc0pe, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Interesting

2. The first cells were waterborne so I don't think the same principles would apply

3. prove it

-Yuri

4. do i rlly have to? i mean what other setting could cells evolve in?

5. Well there is the theory that life was brought to our planet via impact.

6. sound logic there

-Yuri

7. I doubt it. Even if it evolved somewhere else and traveled to earth it still had to evolve somewhere so why not on earth?

I saw a docu on TV where they proposed that cells grew out of the mixture of three gases

then they mixed these gases on camera and created cells, although if i remember correctly the process took several days
    also they somehow manipulated the cells to make pure diesel fuel. they added the fuel to a generator and the damn thing worked

8. exactly.

I agree with tadaelis that cells.probly evolved in water, but not that they have to evolve in water

We've seen amino acids in space. Clearly cosmic whether can create more than we think

-Yuri

9. they probly didn't create actual cells so much as phospholipid clusters

I would guess life started more like retroviruses that learned to house themselves in these naturally forming oils

-Yuri

10. The problem with this theory is that it violates the law of parsimony (a.k.a Occam's razor). Life on Earth is an observable fact. Unless there is a good reason to imply that life could not have evolved on earth, we should assume that it did.

An impact bringing life is a solution without a problem, an new and unnecessary assumption (violating the law of parsimony).

11. panspermia I think isn't that "life" was brought here but that the building blocks of life were

Many organic molecules are created in super novas. Can they be created spontaneously on earth without life already existing to replicate them?

Maybe.

But its a fact that we can see organic molecules in super Nova remnants

-Yuri

12. Im gonna have to assume youre thinking about the Miller–Urey experiment, they didnt make cells, just amino acids i think

13. Maybe the herb is just particularly strong this morning, but to me the notion of life HAVING to develop in X Y or Z ways always seemed shortsighted.

If we look at the chronological discovery map of human existence, meaning all the crazy ground breaking scientific finds we've made, it seems pretty obvious that the scope of imagination keeps being broadened further and further. We are constantly redefining what can happen and how it can happen, and it's always an additive discovery.

Now consider just how limited our space exploration technology actually is and multiply that by the number of planets and systems discovered in our known universe alone.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if life could develop in millions of ways and we only know the few demonstrated in our immediate environments.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I've personally always favored the theory that a meteor or comet brought some sort of extraterrestrial microbe that happened to be able to fare here on our planet (considering there are many other planets with similar atmospheres and have the 5 essential elements, its very plausible) and then evolved through mutations and then speciation. Theoretical biology was always one of my favorites to study as a Biology major.

15. "Panspermia" check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. dude whatever it is that you are smoking, please pass it this way. Water droplets with food coloring CANNOT be the first life in earth.

• Like Like x 1
  17. You gotta hear it to fear it. Hydrogen>Helium is pretty loud. Helium>Hydrogen and Lithium self manifests.

1+2=3.1415926

18. Genius

19. For starters earth itself is a living thing or being(If you will), Ultimately.
    How else do you think things evolved to this point where we can actually talk and question these things?
    Only the structured or conditioned mindset is unable to see this, the free mind sees this as common sense.

Water is alive just as well as anything else, study Dr Masaru Emoto on Water Consciousness.