Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does this count as residency?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by BigChamba, Jan 30, 2011.

1. At the moment I live in a state that doesn't allow MMJ or even have it decriminalized but I'm not staying here forever I'm just looking at where I want to settle down for a permanent home. However, before I even take that step I want to finish up my schooling (don't worry I'm way over 18 just in college to get more degrees, following the forum rules).

I'm thinking about either taking a semester in California, or even getting my degree, which is about four years away, entirely in California. I'm not quite sure what I'll do just yet but I think I'll just do the entire process there and not have to move around.

-Anyway my question were, is a dorm room at a college or an apartment in California (not sure if I'll board at the school or rent an apartment just yet) count as residency to apply for a medical card?

-Also, would I have to get my licence reissued by California for this as well or is my current state issued license fine?

-My primary doctor is also in my current state, would I need to find a new one in Cali?

Sorry if these questions are dumb or easy to find. I'm very new to the whole medical marijuana idea.

2. check the stickies above to see if you qualify with a legit condition...if you lack a legit condition then just continue to toke illegally like millions of others...otherwise the fraud will only slow down if not reverse any progress made with mj/mmj laws.

3. This has absolutely nothing to do with my questions unfortunately. My conditions are legitimate and that wasn't my point. I was asking that since I live out of state would a student residency at a dorm or renting an apartment count as proof of residency. Would I have to get a state issued licence from Cali or is my normal out of state license fine.

I appreciate the concern for the progress of the MMJ movement but I'm no fraud. I'm not trying to be a prick or nothing but could you reread my question again please? I'm not a fraud and I don't like being pegged as one.

4. Here are the Ca Residency requirements.

Rules of Residency-
    Adults 19 Years of Age and Older
    Note:
    No one factor is controlling - all three criteria must be met. The responsibility for establishing residence lies with the student.
    A student 19 years of age and older may establish California residency by meeting the three requirements listed below.
    1. Verify physical presence in California one year prior to the day before the start of the semester. Residency is determined by union of act and intent. The one-year period begins when the student is not only present in California but also has demonstrated clear intent to become a permanent resident of California.

2. Clearly verify an intent to make California a permanent place of residency by:

a. Primary Determinants

• filing California state tax as a resident;
    • maintaining California as legal state of residence on Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) and W-2 form while in the armed forces for one year prior to the start of the semester of enrollment;
    • possessing California motor vehicle license plates and registration;
    • possessing a valid California driver's license or a Department of Motor Vehicles ID card;
    • registering to vote and voting in California.

b. Supplemental Determinants
    • showing California as a home address on federal tax forms;
    • being a petitioner for divorce in California;
    • obtaining license from California for professional practice;
    • establishing and maintaining active California bank accounts;
    • owning residential property;
    • holding active membership in service or social clubs;
    • having spouse, children, or other close relatives reside in California.

5. Thanks ICGreen for the information cleared up some confusion. Much appreciated.

6. This thread is old, but I've been researching California residency requirements recently and learned that obtaining a state driver's license or I.D. card does not require the applicant to have first lived in California for a year, which is required for establishing residency for purposes of in-state tuition. For a state I.D. or driver's license, California must be the applicant's primary residence, which can be proven with a utility bill, valid residential lease agreement, recent rent receipt or sometimes even just mail that was delivered to the California address (these are the simplest, not the only ways to show residency).