Does therapy really help with depression?

Discussion in 'General' started by SidelineHero, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Hi blades! For those that already read the title, what do you think? Would seeing a therapist help relieve depression?

I've been wanting to see one for a while I suppose. But Idk. I don't really know how it all works. I filled out a questionnaire/screening for depression, and I got an email back from a counselor on campus saying she thinks she can help me and she wants to see me. Its free and all so I have nothing to lose.

So what do you guys think about it? Opinions, stories, experience, questions, and anything else related is welcome! Thanks blades and bladies.

2. Just started seeing a counsilor at my college so I can't tell you if it helps or not but good luck

3. [quote name='"cstekk"']Just started seeing a counsilor at my college so I can't tell you if it helps or not but good luck[/quote]

How did your meeting go? Is it just a lot of questions and you answer them?

4. You are depressed because of something negatively impacting your life; or your negative reaction to something in life.

Find out what it is that is detracting from your life and fix it.

5. #5 underahoneymoon, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
    It helps me because I deal with things that none of my peers have been through so I typically just keep things to myself and listen to other people's problems and give them advice. When I went to a counselor I liked having someone to talk to who could help give me some clarity and actual give me advice about how to handle things instead of just "oh, that's sucks" or "I'm sorry" like I get when I talk to friends.
    I've been able to learn a lot about myself and how to deal with things and not to hold on to things. It hasn't helped my depression, that is something I think I will always live with since I won't take medication but as far as other issues in my past and present it has helped.
    Hope it helps you too :)

6. I have been to a few different therapists. None have really succeeding "helping" me.

Edit: Sorry if I am being a Debbie downer, lol! Everyone has their demons.

7. [quote name='"underahoneymoon"']It helps me because I deal with things that none of my peers have been through so I typically just keep things to myself and listen to other people's problems and give them advice. When I went to a counselor I liked having someone to talk to who could help give me some clarity and actual give me advice about how to handle things instead of just "oh, that's sucks" or "I'm sorry" like I get when I talk to friends.
    I've been able to learn a lot about myself and how to deal with things and not to hold on to things. It hasn't helped my depression, that is something I think I will always live with since I won't take medication but as far as other issues in my past and present it has helped.
    Hoped it helps you too :)[/quote]

Dude, your words were perfect. I agree and relate with a lot you said. Deep down I'm thinking I should go. I'm just nervous. Talking to people in a formal situation never works too well. Is it more casual when talking with them?

Another concern I have is that ill get nervous and just lie about stuff. Like if I know something I want to say, but I'm too nervous to say it, and I just lie and say I have nothing to say or just make something up to avoid it.

8. 1 hour a week with anyone doling out any kind of advice imaginabe is entirely ineffective in treating any serious mental condition.

And ime most therapists, and even psychiatrists, are spectacularly incompetent and demonstrate an extraordinarily high tendency for very serious personality issues.

It could work for you [and I'd recommend you try it if you think it could benefit you] but I'd never attempt it again.

Your chances of satisfaction and betterment depend entirely on how serious your depression is.

9. What have you got to lose?

10. [quote name='"liekz0mg1"']I have been to a few different therapists. None have really succeeding "helping" me.[/quote]

Why do you think it didn't help for you?

11. For me, I am way more comfortable talking to women than men so I chose a female counselor, but everyone is different. It might take you a little while to warm up to someone and feel comfortable but that's to be expected if you are bringing up private, personal issues or something that you might feel is a weakness. It's usual pretty casual, like just a conversation. They typically ask you questions to make you feel comfortable and open up but they want you to feel at ease, not like you are judged or fucked up. The thing to remember is that they want to help you, it's not like she is going to be making good money off of you.
    If you feel like lying, what I would do is just say you would rather not talk about it, or would like to talk about it at another time. Just take it slow and try to be as honest as you can because that's the best way she will be able to help you.

12. Is there a downside? Take what she says with a grain of salt. If she tries to give you an answer right off the bat, then it's less likely she'll be able to help you, and is just going off of what your analysis showed. Ideally she should wait to advise until she hears a bit from you.

Worst case scenario, she offers you a different perspective of your situation. If you're embarrassed about it, just don't tell anyone. :confused_2:

13. Well it seems like all I gotta do now is make the phone call.

14. I'd wait till tomorrow if I were you. She might not respond nicely to a 1am call :smoke:

15. [quote name='"CKTony"']I'd wait till tomorrow if I were you. She might not respond nicely to a 1am call :smoke:[/quote]

Haha yea, she sounded tired and kinda mad that I called so late. :/

16. [quote name='"SidelineHero"']

Haha yea, she sounded tired and kinda mad that I called so late. :/[/quote]

Maybe she'll now know you wanna hook up. She'll make sure she does her duty as a therapist, and give you a happy ending.

,mm
    ^pound it :laughing:

17. To make a long story short, I suffer from a lot of demons.

With the several therapists I have gone to on doctor's orders we always seemed to have a miscommunication and they always had unrealistic expectations out of me.

18. [quote name='"liekz0mg1"']

To make a long story short, I suffer from a lot of demons.

With the several therapists I have gone to on doctor's orders we always seemed to have a miscommunication and they always had unrealistic expectations out of me.[/quote]

Did you "want" to see them? What kind of expectations did they have? What makes them so unrealistic?

19. Ill tell you one thing. It doesn't NOT help...

20. The first time, I was totally down. The first therapist I went to wasn't sensitive towards my mental issues and I felt she wasn't very patient with my progress. Eventually everything built up and led me to have a psychotic fit in her office. I left for one of my many trips to the jolly farm from her office.

After her I had a very bad taste in my mouth about therapists, and I didn't have much enthusiasm towards all the others I have seen after her.

My mental condition has caused me a great deal of stress for myself and my loved ones through life. Medication and my growing inner strength has helped makes things easier compared to how constantly chaotic life for me used to be before.