Does the trichoderma in coco coir kill or hurt mycorrhiza

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Applause26, Apr 24, 2016.

1. This will be my first time growing with coco. This will also be my first time using mycorrhizae. I've read online that trichoderma should be avoided in organic's because it is very aggressive and may compete or kill some of the good bacteria and fungus like mycorrhizae. Ive also read that trichoderma and mycorrhizae work hand in hand as beneficial inoculate for your plant. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Also with all that said, will the trichoderma in coco work well with the mycorrhizae I want to add ? The brand Im looking into is Nature's Solution's mycorrhizae If you have any other brand suggestions of mycorrhizae please mention them.

And what is the best medium for maxium mycorrhizae root production? Could soil have more mycorrhizae production compared to coco or peat ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Im not sure if they work hand in hand but I know that trich is good for your plants roots. There is a long study on it let me see if I can find it

3. So, it’s mycorrhiza for faster development and increased growth rates, and Trichoderma for pathogen control and defense. But hang on, those of you paying attention may be thinking, I want the best of both worlds, but if Trichoderma is so aggressive, won’t it attack any mycorrhiza I add to the root zone? Many scientific studies have been carried out to monitor the effects of adding both fungi to the root zone and the consensus is that both perform separate jobs and can work in synergy, rather than canceling each other out. - See more at: More Roots = More Fruits!

4. Trichoderma is fine, it has its place in nature. I have a mycorrhizal inoculant that has a couple species of Trich in it if that means anything ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. the real question is, why coco coir?

• Like Like x 1

6. I'm using peat and have not yet had the results I'm looking for. Also, alot of peat have starting chemicals so its not completely organic. I know there's organic peat, but i figured i'd save them money and go straight to coco as it is an organic medium. Read online that its an upgrade from peat and most people agree plants grow better in coco.

Why not coco ? Are you recommending soil ? Never tried soil. I always assumed soilless is easier and more forgiving than soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Great article! Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  8. #8 wetdog, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    No, Scoob is recc peat. Coco an upgrade from peat? Of course if you read it online it must be true.:poke: But a lot of what you just stated sounds like internet BS. Chemicals in peat? Really? The Coco assoc has talked a lot of shit trying to convince people that coco is better and nevermind the clearcutting and slave labor involved in its production.

Do some real research and you'll see why most old school growers don't bother with coco.

BTW Here, a 3.8cf bale (expands to ~6cf), organic OMRI listed goes for $16. The coco is a 20 mile drive each way, so no idea of the cost. The feed store is ~2 miles.

Wet

• Like Like x 1
  9. ^ what wet said

Soils are complex mixtures of minerals, water, air, organic matter, and countless organisms that are the decaying remains of once-living things.

soil can be many things, it can have coco or peat, or neither.

most of us here on the organic section craft our own soil by mixing peat compost and aeration media with amendments. this is what i would recommend to anyone that wants to grow organically.

you should check out the No-Till thread it has all the info you need to have an amazing organic grow using crafted soil that you can reuse over and over (and over) again. it actually gets better each time, believe it or not.
    chemicals in peat? that's just marketing propaganda. show me a credible source that said that. the fact is that peat is more sustainable and many times better for growing plants then coco coir.

as for soiless being easier, more forgiving? again marketing hogwash, made to convince you to grow with "organic" bottled nutes. the reality is that soil is not only easier and more forgiving of mistakes, but also promotes stronger and healthier plants that are better resistant against pests and disease.
    if you really want to save go straight to making your own soil in a no-till set up following the recipe in the link i provided above. you will thank me later.

hth

• Like Like x 1