Does the source of my water really make a difference?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Stewart169, Jul 8, 2016.

1. So I found a tap water report for my city online. What should I be looking for in the way of red flags? And is there a downside to using RO water from my home filtration system?
    Does RO have missing minerals that are beneficial ??

2. its the Ph you gotta check and this may vary daily if not hourly

this time of years water companies get their shit from ANY source

be careful

using RO water does strip essential minerals from that water

for that reason I advise growers to check their water Ph one time per week minimum

a cheaper way rather than amending your water is to add local tap water to your RO to get 6.0-6.5

as most water in the Americas is very chalky, how much to add depends on how chalky your drink is..?

if you go only RO supplement with (Mg) calmag every 2 second feed, but only once mature

good luck

• Like Like x 3
  3. I use well water,just make sure to ph it just like vostok said...idk what kind of nutes u use but thats y people use r/o water..u can mix 100% or what the bottle claims..tds meter will test yur local water for ppm's in this should dictate how u feed if yur not organic.

4. What is the ppm and pH? Other than that as long as it's drinkable you shouldn't have any worries.

Yeah RO filters remove all the dissolved solids so they will need replacing in the correct dosage.

This is my water and I don't have any problems at all from it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. lol.i grow dwc in 100% matters....dont believe me then go buy ph up/down....mix 2 gal in put 5drops of up n one and 5drops down in other gal and feed 2 diffrnt plants side by side...lol u will c the differnce....

6. Stick with straight tap water if you're in the US. There are valuable micronutrients in tap water that the plants need...believe it or not. If you're living in the US, you don't have to let it sit out for 24 hours because we don't treat our water with chlorine anymore. They use chloramine now and it doesn't evaporate nor is there enough in normal tap water to hurt your plants. People who use RO or other heavily filtered water tend to get weird deficiencies during the life cycle of the plant because it actually needs those things that are in tap water to stay good and healthy. I will admit that this seems to be a bigger issue on plants grown indoor under false lighting conditions. The ones I've grown outside never really seemed to care what they got in the way of water...as long as they got water. Don't waste your money buying water for your plants. Everything that has been filtered has had anything good for the plants stripped out of it and there are things in it that the plants need and use. Good luck! TWW

• Like Like x 1

7. Awesome info WW!

I enjoy reading your comments, I have really learned a lot regarding lighting and small tricks of the trade from perusing your comments on various threads. If you wouldn't mind, could you take a look at my journal? I know your first comment is going to be that I need more light. After this round, I'm ordering a solar storm 440 for my 3x3 space.

First grow journal: 3x3x6'/400wmh/HPS/Bagseed
    First grow journal: 3x3x6'/400wmh/HPS/Bagseed

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. What are you talking about?
    What do you think I said?

9. I love growing with rain water. I live in one of the rainiest places in the US, top ten at least. We get near 200 inches a year in some spots. I use rainwater for everything. Showers, dishes, laundry. It ph's at 6.7. Completely perfect for me. It's very soft and you have to add minerals but that's easy, easier than balancing some mineral rich water. I don't touch it as long as I'm buying ph balanced nutrients. I tested my first water change bucket and It came out to 6.7 so I just committed to frequent water changes and I haven't touched my ph.

• Like Like x 1
  10. It was more directd to white widow saying using straight tap..go head n do that but when u get serious bout it u shud hit real numbers not just use what comes outta yur tap..ph constantly rises so to combat that u shud hit the lower number so wen it rises it shud b time to water again

11. Well you quoted me.
    Haha, "when I get serious about it"? Listen son, I have been growing for over 20 years, I'm not going to get any more serious than I already am. Not much of what you're saying is making any sense. I don't know if that's just because your English is so bad or you don't know what you're talking about, but I'm guessing a bit of both

• Like Like x 1