Does the pot have to be deep?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Jamie9481, Sep 6, 2010.

1. does the pot have to be deep or can i use a shallow but wider pot?

2. not to sure on that but i would have thought deeper is better since your main taproot is going to want to keep going downwards and your other roots would be spliting from that

3. I think mortiis11 is right, you can grow in a wide, shallow container, but you'll do better with a deeper container.

4. Damn that budd looks good in ur lil avatar thingy...

5. haha ya that was some sour diesel my buddy gave me. He walked into a bar with about 1 gram in a sandwich bag and it stank up the place. I couldn't believe it.:smoke:

6. Having depth in generally better. However I recently was watching a bit of that Jorge Cerventas DVD and he was saying that plants placed in these rectangular pots that were far wider than they were deep made the plant grow more outwardly and bushy with less height....was news to me

7. he speaks the truth

i read it in high times a few months back

good if you've got closet space horizontally but not vertically
    i just think of the above-ground part of the plant as a rough mirror of the root system
    the deeper the roots go, the taller the plant is
    i wont claim it as a fact, but it makes sense

8. thanks for all the info guys i'll look up the pot being wider making the plant grow outwards which would be a good help cuz im trying to keep it as small as possible height wise

9. Depends on the kind of depths and widths you are talking about. A container five feet across and one inch deep? No, won't work. But as long as it has some amount of depth to it then you should be OK.

10. i was thinkin around 3inches deep and 8inches wide

11. Yeah, the mirror image thing is kinda how I always thought of it, I just never heard it put into words until now.