Does The Brand Of The Fertilizer Make A Difference?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CurriePower, May 2, 2014.

1. Hello,

My plants are in the vegetative phase and need some fertilizer. I have some general garden plant fertilizer which was like 5 dollars and has a high nitrogen level and lower phosphorous and lower potassium. I have heard that many people use fertilizers like advanced nutrients. I was wondering if as long as it has an appropriate N-P-K value any fertilizer will work well?

Any feeback is great, Peace

2. Brand does NOT matter. NPK ratio DOES. High front end for veg, high back end for flower. I use nothing until flower, then once I flip to 12/12, I give em African violet food.

Sent from my DROID4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Advanced Nutrients ARE the BEST... that being said, you can use any fertilizer you wish as long as you use it properly, test your PH and PPM regularily, and do NOT over feed. Most vegetable fertilizers are twice as strong or more than what is ideal for cannabis, and that is why you will see people regularily talking about feeding 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommended dosage of FF or whatever else.

Advanced Nutrients were developed specifically for cannabis.

4. To some extent, yes it matters. There are low quality ferts out there.

That being said, out of the major brands you see advertised for mj, they are pretty much equal. It depends on what works best for you. Ive seen people that can grow monsters with just $15 worth of nutes, and Ive seen people spend hundreds on over priced nutes only to fail.

The people that are failing after spending hundreds on nutrients usually have other issues including not knowing how to use their product properly. Education is the key to using any fertilizer properly, (obviously?).

6. The same can be said for those that fail with inexpensive nutes as well. Kind of a moot point.

I know, I just happen to believe in the advantages of having the best product. I did also happen to get a really good deal on most of my product.

8. Do you know what fertilizer by advanced nutrients fertilizer is best for vegetative growth?

9. Thanks man. The fertilizer that I have is not marketed for growing cannabis. Do you know if the fertilizer used needs to be specifically indicated for growing MJ or if any garden fertilizer with a good N-P-K ratio is ok? IS there a fertilizer that you could recommend for vegetative growth from your experience? peace

I am using the 2 part Sensi-Grow for veg, and 2 part Sensi-Bloom for flowering, along with some other supplements like B-52 and Voodoo Juice during veg, and Bud Initiator, Bud Candy, and a few others during flower.

They also have another fertilizer called Connoisseur which is supposed to be great all in one part.

They are all auto PH, so you never need to adjust the PH. The customer service is amazing. You can phone the customer service line anytime to ask anything about their products and they are happy to help.

11. That sounds awesome man, yeah I checked out there products and they seem really good. Ill be sure to get some sensi grow for now and sensi grow later on.

12. Any well balanced fertilizer with micro nutrients will grow MJ.  You do not need to spend money on these overpriced, watered down designer fertilizers to have good plants.  AN is not the "best" it is just another overpriced fertilizer geared to new growers who don't know any better and think high pricing equates to  quality ingredients.  You don't need a whole battery of amendments to fertilize properly. 

Take a look at these suggestions before spending outrageous amounts of money on "designer fertilizers", MJ is an annual plant and does not need special bottles of nutrients for growing healthy plants.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/1033041-indoor-gardening-without-bottled-nutrients.html

Or here for a water only soil:

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

If you don't want to grow organic and would prefer to use water soluble chemical fertilizers check out Jack's Classic fertilizer or General Hydroponics Maxi Bloom for inexpensive chemical based nutrients used to grow MJ.

PW

13. #13 jumper420, May 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2014
  14. Yo man also do you happen to know if there is any online store that sells advanced nutrients and ships world wide or to Europe?

No, I just buy it at my local hydro store. If you phone their customer service line, someone will be able to tell you the best way for you to buy it in your area.

16. No, fertilizer does not need to be specially designed for cannabis. As long as the N-p-k values are good for the particular phase and it has proper micronutrients then it will work just fine. In terms of plant nutrition cannabis is neither special, or difficult. Nutrient companies would like for you to believe otherwise because that is how they make money. Some buy in to it, some do not. Fact is you do not need hundreds of dollars in nutrients and "snake oil" additives to pull in a bumper crop.

I'm taking it you are in Europe, or at least outside the us so I am not sure what is available to you. General hydroponIcs is pretty inexpensive and works well.

17. Thanks for your answer PW. I have general hydroponics grow and am using it for vegetation at the moment. Do you happen to know what the right dosage is for young plants per gallon or per liter, as I tried reading the packet but it has a chart which I don't fully understand. Thanks again for your answer. I would love to try growing organically but am scared that I would mess up somehow or not supply the right amount of nutrients. Do you prefer organic growing?