Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does THC affect your immune system?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by acrosstheuniverse, Sep 17, 2013.

1. so my dorm-mate is sick with a severe case of strep throat and I have begun to get a soar throat as well. common sense is telling me that smoking with a bad throat is stupid, but does the actual THC or anything in pot for that matter have anything to do with lowering or raising my immune system??

2. are you guys smoking out of the same pipe or something? your mouths could have just touched the same pipe and the germs had just spread to you

3. sounds look your roomie gave it to you and the thc doesn't have anything to do with it. if you shared a pipe with him then you may have gotten sick that way, but that isn't the herbs fault.

4. if it has any effects, they aren't negative.
    and if they are my immune system is lucky as fuck.

i've been smoking pretty much regularly since i was 14, im almost 23, and i have hardly gotten sick during that period of time.
    idk, maybe my immune system is just really good, but when i get sick from someone else, chances are ill get sick after them and ill be back to normal before they do.

so, if i had to guess i'd say it doesnt effect it.
    and as for smoking on a sore throat, i do it. idc how sick i am, nothings gunna come between me n my nugget lol

5. #5 shaddytheman, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
    I haven't seen a peer review study on the correlation between Cannabis and the immune system but it's best if your buddy intakes a lot of Vitamin C, Zinc, and Vitamin B. 

6. i think most people here would tell you weed cant hurt you, your immune system, or your lungs if you be eating eat. so hi. im high

7. This is really a great question.  From NORML website:

Myth: Marijuana Damages the Immune System

A variety of studies indicate that THC and other cannabinoids may exercise mild, reversible immuno-suppressive effects by inhibiting the activity of immune system cells know as lymphocytes (T- and B-cells) and macrophages. It is dubious whether these effects are of import to human health, since they are based mainly on theoretical laboratory and animal studies. According to a review by Dr. Leo Hollister:1 "The evidence [on immune suppression] has been contradictory and is more supportive of some degree of immunosuppression only when one considers in vitro studies. These have been seriously flawed by the very high concentrations of drug used to produce immunosuppression. The closer that experimental studies have been to actual clinical situations, the less compelling has been the evidence."

The immune suppression issue was first raised in research by the notorious cannabophobe Dr. Gabriel Nahas, but a flurry of research by the Reagan administration failed to find anything alarming. The recent discovery of a cannabinoid receptor inside rat spleens, where immune cells reside, raises the likelihood that cannabinoids do exert some sort of influence on the immune system.2 It has even been suggested that these effects might be beneficial for patients with auto-immune diseases such as multiple sclerosis. Nevertheless, not a single case of marijuana-induced immune deficiency has ever been clinically or epidemiologically detected in humans.

One exception is the lungs, where chronic pots smokers have been shown to suffer damage to the immune cells known as alveolar macrophages and other defense mechanisms.3 It is unclear how much of this damage is due to THC, as opposed to all of the other toxins that occur in smoke , many of which can be filtered out by waterpipes and other devices.4

There is no reason to think marijuana is dangerous to AIDS patients. On the contrary, many AIDS patients report that marijuana helps avert the deadly "wasting syndrome" by stimulating appetite and reducing nausea. Cannabinoids do not actually damage the T-cells, which are depleted in HIV patients: one study even found that marijuana exposure increased T-cell counts in subjects (not AIDS patients) whose T-cell counts had been low.5 Epidemiological studies have found no relation between use of marijuana or other drugs and development of AIDS.6

Footnotes

1. Dr. Leo Hollister, "Marijuana and Immunity," Journal of Psychoactive Drugs 20(1): 3-8 (Jan/Mar 1988).

2. Sean Munro, Kerrie Thomas and Muna Abu-Shaar, "Molecular characterization of a peripheral receptor for cannabinoids," Nature 365:61-5 (Sept. 2, 1993); Leslie Iversen, "Medical Uses of Marijuana?", ibid. pp. 12-3.

3. D. Tashkin, "Is Frequent Marijuana Smoking Hazardous To Health,?" op. cit.

4. Nicholas Cozzi, ibid.

5. Donald Tashkin et al., "Cannabis 1977," Ann. Intern. Med. 89:539-49 (1978).

6. Richard A Kaslow et al, "No Evidence for a Role of Alcohol or Other Psychoactive Drugs in Accelerating Immunodeficiency in HIV-1-Positive Individuals," JAMA 261:3424-9 (June 16, 1989).

8. I workout on consistent basis to keep my immune strong.

9. thanks for your feedback homies it was very helpful and much appreciated