Does starting a NORML chapter make me a target?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by gimpy121, Sep 26, 2009.

1. I want to start a NORML chapter in my town (preferably out of the University) but I don't want to deal with getting hassled by police all the time. I know my rights - and plan on reading up some more - but would starting a NORML chapter put a huge target on me? And I don't want to bring any heat to my friends either..

2. Yeah I've been wondering about that too. I've been wanting to start a Chapter of SSDP (Students for Sensible Drug Policy) in my high school but I don't know If I want teachers and parents looking at me and labeling me as some stoner kid. I don't think cops or teachers can actually punish you for doing something like that...but I'm sure they would look harder to find something.

3. Our politicians argue for law change all day long and nobody accuses them of breaking the law, why should it be any different for you?

4. Agreed. Could you imagine the manpower being used if all people who took a stand on legalizing marijuana were being monitored?!?

5. I say go for it. Chances are, there are a lot more people that need law enforcment than just you. The police won't have all eyes on you because they are busy little piglets. They need to be taking care of murders and robberies, not a pothead politician.

6. I doubt it will make you a target for harassment.

7. Thanks guys. They have the info and club booths set up right now (so I guess I'm a little late for this event) but I was going to get a booth next year and possibly start a pro re-legalization club. And I'm thinking of hosting a couple debate/discussion sessions in the school or somewhere around town.

8. * First Amendment – Establishment Clause, Free usExercise Clae; freedom of speech, of the press, Freedom of Religion, and of assembly; right to petition,

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment oonf religi, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

Basically, legally, they cant do jack shit.
    Watch out for dick cops, make sure you stay safe. NEVER agree to let anyone search you or any of your personal belongings...And you should be fine...
    I was wondering, you're from the north bay? I was wondering if you're talking about the bay area? Ca?

9. I don't think he meant "Will I go to jail for starting a NORML chapter" but rather "Will they monitor me/get suspicious and other stuff" not that it itself is illegal but if they go to his house and see smoke rolling out the window then he will get in trouble. Myself, I don't think they'd track you down and search your stuff lol but who knows. You'l get a reputation with the non smokers that won't be good but I say go for it.

10. There will always be that one asshole cop who thinks they are god and doing good by hassling you. To them just stand up and be sure you know your rights. If you do get arrested for any reason just be sure to have a good lawyer lined up ahead of time. They sure can come in handy.

11. Thanks guys, I'm in Canada btw (so I don't know how our constitution fits along side the US's. I'm picking up a club form thing today for the school.

12. If you're Canadian when it comes to Cannabis you have nothing to worry about. The Canadian courts stop putting people in jail for Cannabis possession decades ago. It's socially tolerated coast to coast now. More so in Vancouver.

The police put almost zero effort into enforcing civil penalty laws, small amounts of Cannabis being a civil matter.

16%+ of Canadians smoke it, the highest of all industrialised nations. Canadian courts don't want to go anywhere near this one. Nor should they.

13. thanks guys, sorry I haven;t checked in a while.. Also, I found out that I can't do it through the school since they can't take a political stand or support one. But I can still run one in town and do stuff at the school, they just can't support it in any way..

14. Dude I'd ask these questions to NORML itself.
    They're very receptive and informative... Plus they know the dangers of Marijuana use (not medical, but political) and support in a place where the plant is Illegal...

They have the most experience with it.... might as well ask the source
    chapters@norml.org

cheers,
    hippy

15. Some will hate if you for it, some will absoultely love you for it.

Thats the truth of the matter

16. Just because your in support of Marijuana and its legal usage I my opinion does not put a target on your back. Plenty of people don't smoke but would still like to see it legal.:smoking: