Does Sound Travel Slower In The Dark?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by metaldude94, May 30, 2013.

1. Okay so I was listening to some music and smokin a really fat joint. I turn out the lights, because I like listening to music in the dark. And it seem that it got quieter. It was weird. So I kept on thinking about it all throughout the entire week. Anybody wanna voice their opinions.

2. Sound doesn't discriminate against light lol. Maybe when you smoked, everything happened to appear in slow motion. I once felt like I was in slow motion when I was smoking a joint on my way to school and it felt like the cars driving passed me where going 5 mph. Try to listen to music when your sober and the light is off.

3. I did and it was the same.

4. Oh, well.....Can we get a sound scientist in here?

5. Did some research. Hope this answers your question.....

It's not the level of light. Basically the answer to your question is no, light has negligible effect on sound waves. In the daytime, there is more activity in general, cars, people, various things that make noise. Since it's fairly constant, and meaningless to your ears, then your ears tend to tune them out. Subsequnetly, a lot of the same frequencies from your stereo get tuned out, as well. At nighttime, a lot of those ambient noises are no longer present, or very reduced, so your ears no longer tune them out, making you more sensitive to the frequencies you weren't hearing earlier in the day.

6. Okay that's cool. Thanks for doing that.

7. That's what I was thinking. Cause you ever notice if your watching tv at night at the same volume as you would during the day, it always seems louder at night.

Anytime, mi ears es su ears <.<

9. #9 Iluvatar, May 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2013
    Yes, this.  I thought about this situation before and came to the same conclusion

10. Sound is a longitudinal wave, meaning it propagates through a medium. In most cases, air. That is why sound cannot travel through a vacuum and why is actually travels faster through metals. The only thing that can slow down sound is if it propagates through something less dense. Light doesn't affect the density of air. So no.

11. sound travels through a medium so if all things are equal, less light means less photons, which means less medium, which means sound travels slower in the dark.