Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does smoking regularly cause more acne?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by BakedSnarf, Apr 4, 2014.

1. #1 BakedSnarf, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    While shaving this morning, I noticed a good amount of acne forming around my upper lip and some around my chin. This wasn't particularly concerning seeing as facial hair does cause acne when left alone for a while - I hadn't shaved in about two weeks - but I was curious as to if it could be due to my regular toking as well.

Lately I've been smoking more regularly than usual as I've found myself with a lot more free time on my hands, and was wondering if anyone's ever experienced something similar in which acne is more profound when your smoking intake is increased. 

Being 19, living in a messy dorm room with a very messy roommate, it isn't to say that I'm set on me smoking weed more regularly being the sole cause of my increased acne, however I figured I'd ask you fellow blades what you all think as well.  :smoke:

Edit: Just wanted to point out as well that I'm generally not one to have copious amounts of acne either; for the last year or two I've very, very occasionally had any sort of blemish on my face. 

2. First I've heard of this.  I guess heavy use could affect your hormones which could lead to an increase of pimples.  Just a thought though.

3. Acne is caused by bacterial skin infections believe it or not.  All the myths about junk food, laziness, not washing your face often enough etc are just that, myths. 

When you go to a Dermatologist they will explain that it's infection in the pores of the skin which is why prescription acne medication is anti-biotic.

4. #4 Stormy Sea, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    If only this were true... oh well, as long as they say it is, they'll be making bank off us. Maybe it's not enough for serious cystic acne, sure, but...

As soon as I changed my diet from the shit I was eating (cut out soda and packaged processed shit) and started washing my face in the shower every day, my acne disappeared. I've read soooooooo many fucking stories of other people saying the exact same thing, and yet still people say diet doesn't affect it. Such crap. Every time I finally give in and I drink a redbull, I break out horribly in whiteheads the next day. There's definitely a link there for me.

Anyways, smoke is bad for acne, especially if you're doing it in an enclosed space. It irritates and dries out your skin, which is no bueno.

As for MJ itself, no idea if it has any effects, but I doubt it. Cigs for sure do, and can make you break out.

5. I dont believe it will make it worse, I had terrible acne when I was younger before I ever took a puff but years of going to the dermatologist have done wonders and let me tell you havent gone to my new one sober yet. They have a window in the waiting room that has bird feeders outside and when its warm out there's always really cool birds out there and a squirrel or two. I just get lit and watch them ha

6. #6 BakedSnarf, Apr 4, 2014

Lol thanks for the insight, but I know enough about acne to know that what you're saying right now is pulled right out of your ass. 

Dermatologists have deemed those "myths" you talk about to be more or less factually evident of being a cause for acne. 

7. #7 Doke Smoper, Apr 4, 2014
    The only thing in diet that can affect acne is blood sugar can trigger it, although it isn't the actual cause.  Please quote whatever your fucking source is genius.

Three factors contribute to the formation of acne:
    • Overproduction of oil (sebum)
    • Irregular shedding of dead skin cells resulting in irritation of the hair follicles of your skin
    • Buildup of bacteria
    Here's mine.
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acne/basics/causes/con-20020580

8. Anything that increases blood sugar can trigger an acne outbreak but it is not the cause. The CAUSE is bacterial.

• Greasy foods and chocolate have proved to have little to no effect on the development or course of acne.
    • Dirty skin. Acne isn't caused by dirt. In fact, scrubbing the skin too hard or cleansing with harsh soaps or chemicals irritates the skin and can make acne worse.

When your body produces an excess amount of sebum and dead skin cells, the two can build up in the hair follicles and form together as a soft plug, creating an environment where bacteria can thrive.

It IS a bacterial skin infection.

You do realize though that all the information you've provided has proven my point to be correct though don't you? I stated that poor diet, junk food, and not being hygienic all result in acne. 

10. Do you use other drugs? Ok that can cause acne other than that how is your diet? That prolly has a big role in acne

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity For

11. #11 Doke Smoper, Apr 4, 2014
    Fruit can raise your blood sugar enough to trigger a breakout.  Are oranges junk food? 

I'm not saying to never wash your fucking face.  Washing your face like an average normal person is all that's recommended so yes, basic hygeine prevents skin infections.

Did you read my statement as saying that consuming nothing but Redbull and candy, and never ever ever washing your face would result in healthy looking skin?

12. You didn't wash your face in the shower before this?

13. #13 Doke Smoper, Apr 4, 2014
    That's what I was thinking.  He called me out as being a liar for saying that washing your face MORE doesn't prevent acne, by saying that when he STARTED washing his face he had less. 

I bet he would be amazed at how much less he will get sick if he starts also washing his HANDS. 

14. OP I've never experienced acne from smoking. Do you use a bong though? The area you're describing that's getting acne is also where a bong would touch. 

Dude... relax. You did say "not washing your face often enough"... 

maybe Kiyohime washed her face every other day and you guys are arguing the same point. 

16. its funny, you reminded me of this one friend i have that seshes like every day and he would normally have a lot of acne, but then whenever he would get caught (which was like every 1-2 months) and have to take a t-break his face would have much less acne and it would kinda just go back and forth like that. so yeah it definable does cause acne, smoke is not good for your pores.  I used to have this problem too btw

17. Well this week i smoked everyday and the problem was i would be so dead tired i would forget to use my face wash and after about 4 days of not using my face wash i got 2 spots.

I dont think its linked though, it was just me being lazy

18. thats not true, not true and not true, its all about your diet and how you eat...

19. #19 Doke Smoper, Apr 4, 2014
    According to what?  Provide a legitimate medical source for that information.  Tell me how diet causes sebaceous bacterial infections.

I ate terribly from ages 10-22 and have never had an acne problem.

20. oh my!!!!. im to baked for this shittt!!!..all im going to say is that ive read way to many books and seen so many sources that explain about how food causes the increase in hormone activity which causes increase in creation of oils.. ill leave the rest to you buddy!