Does smell have any indication of potency?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Jimmyz, Aug 18, 2009.

1. I planted some bag weed thats in its last weeks of growing and it stinks to high heaven.
    Is smell any indication of potency?

2. it could mean you have some dank weed but potency is tested by smoking..

3. the two are related, but not necessarily proportional / equivalent to each other

but chemically, the smell and the potency derive from the same molecules

4. Thanks
    The waiting is the hardest part!

5. I've had plants that reeked that weren't that potent and vice versa.

6. depends on if it smells like good weed or just smells alot i think.

7. Smells skunky

8. I was thinking the same thing,lol,...if you smell mold, or worse, ammonia,...it's fuct. If it smells like skunk spray mixed with fruit cocktail, you're good :D

9. also not 100% accurate.

there's a whole range of cannabis scents, and included in it will definately be the astringent / ammonia / industrial solvent aromas. Ive grown some in the past that had the ammonia / cleaning solution smell. Probably a hint at some afghan ancestry.

ive heard of good herb that smells of rotting flesh. Ive smoked some that smells like incense, pepper, pine, a variety of household or industrial cleaners, almost any and every fruit you can imagine, skunk

the smells come from the terpenes. these chemicals are found everywhere in nature, giving these things their odor. Your plants will have a unique terpenoid profile based upon their genotype. Whatever this terpenoid profile is will determine what smell your plant has. There is no best smell, its all subjective.

why i say its related to potency is the same terpenoids later combine with a phenolic to produce GPP (geranyl pyrophosphate) which is transformed into CBGA, the first true compound in the cannabinoid pathways. CBGA is converted into either CBCA, CBDA, or THCA.

the 'A's refer to acid. as it's decarboxylized, it becomes THC, CBC, CBD, etc...

10. #10 LBH, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2009
    no, I was specifically speaking of the ammonia that comes after wet moldy weed sits in a rolled up bag too long,lol.

How are the original scents like Blueberry formed, are they all natural?

11. right, smell can be an indicator of mold / mildew / rot, but im just saying not necessarily a dead giveaway. Some cannabis will actually smell like that. From the perspective of the plant, being less desirable to predation because of odd aromas can be adaptatively beneficial.

and yeah, the blueberry would be natural. Im not that familiar with all the chemicals (there are tons of terpenes), but I can give you an example.

ive got some lemon skunk, that truly smells and tastes like lemons. The reason for this is that, among many in common, both my plant and lemons will have relatively higher levels of the terpene Limonene when compared to other potential terpenes.

this is why there is mango, strawberry, pine, citrus generic, orange........

12. took me a minute to find the charts, but here's an illustration of the variety Im speaking of. every taste / smell imaginable is possible, more or less

Attached Files:

13. "Putrid",lol....that should be the name of a strain!

Thanks for the charts, great resource.

14. Wow some great information.

15. I'd like to have a strain that smells like shit but was as potent as diesel. Thart way i'd never have to share with leeches at parties lol

16. Odor does not indicate potency. If it did then males would not smell, but they definitely can.

17. males can be potent.

if you think about it, it doesnt really make sense that males would NOT produce cannabinoids.

fwiw, im not guessing....males do produce cannabinoids, and can be potent, just like females.

and, like I said, chemically, smell and "potency" are very linked. To be more correct, I should say the terpenoid profile, which produces the odor, is the chemical precursor to the cannabinoid profile, which determines the type and intensity of the high.

18. #18 Jimmyz, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
    I've been collecting leaves off my plants since I started growing as well as the leaves and buds from the male plants and recently I rolled one while some friends were over and they thought it was really good weed.

i am really surprised that its as potent as it is and its creeper too.
    I can't wait till my plants harvested to see how potent the final product will be.