Does Science Advance One Funeral at a Time?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by NorseMythology, Dec 21, 2015.

1. A working paper by the National Buraeu of Economic Research is studying the effect of 'elite scientists' on scientific progress. They are finding that fields that lose an elite scientist suddenly have an increase in new research papers and innovation by non-prominent scientists.

I wish I could paste it here but I cannot so here is a review of the research.

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2015/12/15/1...

2. are you suggesting we speed the process up

-Yuri

3. Not in the way you are implying ;)

4. Considering that the status quo generally tends to be reluctant if not completely closed to new ideas, I can see how a death could create an opening for those ideas. If old Dr. Scientist McGrump spends the last 5 years of his life telling the understudies how they are proposing ridiculous new thoughts, then his death would inevitably be welcomed by those looking to push said thoughts. Once he's 6 feet under, their ideas can be brought forward again without fear of his opposition.

5. [​IMG]

This thread is interesting though. The idea that their death kind of opens up the floor for others to step forward. Similar in a sense to how we hold onto traditions. People just assume the old person has the best ideas, but in reality there are many people with innovative ideas who don't have a voice, or are mocked for them.

6. "Nothing Grows in the Shadow of Big Trees."Somebody said that.

7. I agree, but I also think there are other factors as well. I mean, people at the top do tend to hold others back for their own benefit.. but I would like to believe that the majority of scientists are different. Basic human nature still plays a major role in science.. but my first thought wasn't that a scientist's life isn't holding others back, rather their death inspires others. A lot of people follow other people.. and if someone is following someone who died, there is a good chance that that will push them to move forward out of respect for their life. My grandpa is in the hall of fame.. for bowling. Right after he died, so many people who knew him went bowling.. the lil local bowling alley was packed for a few days after and I know a couple of people who got dragged along and ended up liking bowling and getting into it.

So I see it as both. The death of a great one will inadvertently free up those who felt held back.. and inspire others to move up. The humanist in me would like to think the majority are inspired though.

8. There is a simple explanation for scientists being mad at their Doctors. I'd tell you but I'd have to die first.

9. Well the knowledge must go somewhere >.< Energy Expands

10. *dissipates

And eventually becomes unrecognizable.

-Yuri