Does Religion stop you from believing in Evolution?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Cannibetrue, Apr 6, 2011.

1. #21 1Trismegistus1, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    Me personally? No, Evolution is the purpose of all life. Just because everything evolve doesn't mean it rules out Intelligent Design, if anything it compliments the fact that living things constantly move to higher and higher states, and that the "highest" state is that of God. Look at humans, we're at a point where we could just stop and live comfortably, but we don't, we grow technologically as well as spiritually. We freed slaves, we're beginning to be more and more altruistic, etc. These are Godly behaviors/perceptions, so it only makes sense it will only go higher and higher.

In fact, evolution is not some new Darwin discovery, many ancient religious texts talk about evolution. I wish I could remember the exact texts that I read, perhaps I will look them up. Religion doesn't say anything against evolution, it's ignorant followers do.

2. nicely put :bongin:

3. I think that's gotta be the most....I won't finish that sentence for fear of offending. Consider this however

To explain the origin of the DNA/protein machine by invoking a supernatural Designer is to explain precisely nothing, for it leaves unexplained the origin of the Designer. You have to say something like 'God was always there', and if you allow yourself that kind of lazy way out, you might as well just say 'DNA was always there', or "Life was always there',  and be done with it. --Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker : Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe without Design

Most of the debate between creationists and evolutionary theories (of which I do not partake) lies in the following: creationists believe that the world comes from some form of design while evolutionary theorists see the world as a result of random changes by an aimless process. But it is hard to look at a computer or a car and consider them the result of aimless process. Yet they are. --Nassim Nicholas Taleb

4. Quit buying your state paid propaganda theories. The Darwin theory of survival of the fittest is the belief in the beast. (See mark of the beast)

Zacharia Sitchin and many ancient cultures know how we got here and it wasn't evolving from monkeys through a long process of natural selection.

The coming of this race was due to altering from off world origin's. More importantly other dimensional origin's.

5. Sorry to say this but assuming your for real then your a simpleton and you clearly deserve the ignorant life you created for yourself. You have my pity.

6. I forgive you Texdallas.

I wasn't trying to rile any feathers.

We are still One.

:hello:

7. Its funny you mention DNA because the director of the human genome project, Dr. Francis Collin, said in his book that science can not disprove a God. I don't remember the exact quote but the basic idea is a true God wouldn't be constricted to the laws of nature and therefore God is not possible to look at scientifically.

8. The Designer has too much time on his hands... creating trillions of different species and all that. Must be a bored motherfucker.

9. Why evolution is even thought to be a "lie" is beyond me. I guess that good ol' medieval superstition is still alive today.

Creationists, in short, should just be ignored. These types of people are permanently convinced that the Universe is 6,000 years old, lololololol.

Evolution is actually quite awesome and harmonious :)

10. I like it how we have proof of evolution except for the missing link and the only proof of god is a book that was written thousands of years ago ( cause they definately knew what they were talking about) and everytime we proove something in evolution or bring it up, they bring up that argument saying "well who created the first being" which makes me laugh cause they totally know where god came from or the classic "he was always there" give me a damned break..

11. It may notbe possible to look at your imaginary friend scientifically because he didn't exist science is only interested in what's real. I feel so sorry for you and your delusion

12. This thread is for discussion, not for demeaning. If you can't be nice, don't bother posting.

13. @ AsterAce Francis Collin is a shing example of keeping your faith separate from science. He is a top-notch scientist and a believer, but he knows the boundaries.

14. Not all religions influence your belief in Evolution, some religions believe in evolution but still believe in a higher being. There are religions that alter it though. Such as Christianity, Judaism and Islam. Although then again, there are Christians, Jewish and Islamic people that believe in Evolution but still believe in a god. So it just depends on how you look at it. It would not stop it completely, it may "alter it" but mainly it just depends on how you look at it and what you believe in. Religion can stop it completely or alter it.

15. #35 Kindler, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011
    The catholic church has long been more rationally oriented than the protestant denominations, starting as far back as Thomas Aquinas. Indeed, official catholic doctrine says that one must grapple with the bible using one's god-given rationality and think it through in order to render a proper interpretation, while protestants are more likely to believe you can get a "direct reading" of unmediated truth from the text.

Not that I have too much love for any religion, but Catholics have at least historically been willing to incorporate a respect for intellectual debate into their world view, even if they've struggled with science here and there they're a hell of a lot better than the evangelicals nowadays.

An archbishop's letter to Copernicus:

16. smart people don't argue ad hominem save your pity for yourself.