Does Religion stop you from believing in Evolution?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Cannibetrue, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Thought this might be an interesting read.. (compliments to OvaltineJenkins for finding the article, which can also be found here: Pope: Creation vs. evolution an )

LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy - Pope Benedict XVI said the debate raging in some countries - particularly the United States and his native Germany - between creationism and evolution was an “absurdity,” saying that evolution can coexist with faith.

The pontiff, speaking as he was concluding his holiday in northern Italy, also said that while there is much scientific proof to support evolution, the theory could not exclude a role by God.

“They are presented as alternatives that exclude each other,” the pope said. “This clash is an absurdity because on one hand there is much scientific proof in favor of evolution, which appears as a reality that we must see and which enriches our understanding of life and being as such.”

He said evolution did not answer all the questions: “Above all it does not answer the great philosophical question, ‘Where does everything come from?'”

Benedict also said the human race must listen to “the voice of the Earth” or risk destroying its very existence.

The pope is wrapping up a three-week private holiday in the majestic mountains of northern Italy, where residents are alarmed by the prospect of
    climatechange[​IMG] that can alter their way of life.

“We all see that today man can destroy the foundation of his existence, his Earth,” he said in a closed door meeting with 400 priests on Tuesday. A full transcript of the two-hour event was issued on Wednesday.

“We cannot simply do what we want with this Earth of ours, with what has been entrusted to us,” said the pope, who has been spending his time reading and walking in the scenic landscape bordering Austria.

Our Earth is talking to us
    World religions have shown a growing interest in the environment, particularly the ramifications of climate change.

The pope, leader of some 1.1 billion Roman Catholics worldwide, said: “We must respect the interior laws of creation, of this Earth, to learn these laws and obey them if we want to survive.”

“This obedience to the voice of the Earth is more important for our future happiness ... than the desires of the moment. Our Earth is talking to us and we must listen to it and decipher its message if we want to survive,” he said.

Last April, the
    Vatican[​IMG] sponsored a scientific conference on climate change to underscore the role that religious leaders around the world could play in reminding people that willfully damaging the environment is sinful.

Now if that isn't a compliment to the concept of evolution, I don't know what is..

2. hmmm

the theory of evolution was never intended to explain where everything came from.
    but it does study how life on our planet has changed over time.

regardless of lifes starting point, the evolutionary theory is solid.

good find op. i found it to be interesting.

and i voted 'no'

3. The wife and I have had long discussions about this; she's atheist and I'm not, and we kind of hit on a compromise.

It's such a simple thought; After creation, evolution took over, and things simply unfolded the way they have.

There may be truth in both.

4. the original post reminded me of this too lol

[​IMG]

5. I don't follow any particular religion, but I believe that they all have the same basic truth that they teach, and that they are often wildly misinterpreted, so in a way I am a follower of Hinduism, Buddhism, and Christianity (I haven't researched Islam too much...).

As far as my spiritual beliefs go I think that spirituality and evolution complement each other perfectly.

Honestly, I don't even seperate them, I see spirituality as being intertwined with evolution and evolution as being intertwined with spirituality.

6. i kind of agree with you.

i see spirituality as a by-product of our developed brains.

7. #7 AsterAce, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2011
    intelligent design. it can't be proved wrong by science and still includes a god. imo its actually the most logical explanation. also a lot of very famous scientists including Einstein were deists. meaning they believed in a god.

8. Let's keep it rolling, I like where this is going!

9. which version of intelligent design?

10. No. Evolution doesn't propose the creation of life, that's abiogenesis. Evolution merely gives an explanation of how populations change over time.

Evolution is real. Here's a prime example, for all deniers.

Hudson River Fish Evolve PCB Immunity

11. Why do people always get specific when people say things, which inherently leads to arguments. He just said intelligent design. Some sort of creator designed things. He didn't get specific, probably for a reason.

12. Because "some sort of creator" is not what intelligent design is about. It is philosophy masquarading as science. ID is NOT science. It IS philosophy. In fact, Behe, one of the chief promulgators of ID, was denied peer review because he failed to properly explain and theorize the specific points of his "idea".

13. Where did the poster indicate that he was using intelligent design as science? Or did you just see the word intelligent design and come to conclusions based on your own preconceived notions?

14. you asked why people get so specific and I answered.

15. maybe im curious :confused:

16. I'm not that much of a religious guy, but I don't see why you can't believe in both.

17. All this posting and nobody mentions Zecharia Sitchin?

His translation's leave little doubt in my mind that other worldly presences had a hand in "evolution" and "creation."

Combine Sumerian texts with the ancient histories of Egyptians, Maya, Hopi and many other indigenous tribes and this story is case closed.

Intelligent design is blatant, infinitely intelligent design is more accurate.

18. natural selection on our planet is quite blatant and can be studied.
    the evolutionary theory as we know it, doesnt require a god.

whereas almost every creation myth holds itself above others as definite truth based on individual religious beliefs.

19. The sole purpose of religion is to influence your beliefs

20. Before I knew about cell theory, evolution, and speciation, I pretty much ignored evolution. When my grade 11 Bio teacher (at a christian school mind you) taught me what evolution was I adapted my beliefs to fit with it, and I ignored the part about humans being a product of evolution. As time progressed, my grip on my faith weakened and I started to see evolution as a reasonable explanation for all the different species on earth. I then applied my knowledge to stories in the bible, such as the genesis creation story, and the flood story. I had to decide whether or not to believe something that was taught to me by a christian teacher, or the stories taught to me by my old sunday school teachers. Evolution ultimately became one of the undoings of my christian faith.