Does Nexus have the ultimate cannabis greenhouse?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by JMcGD, May 28, 2019.

1. Hey there!
    For a long time now I have been hesitant to expand my medicinal cannabis operation past the first tier status that I’ve been at for almost ten years. I’ve never really felt like the “man” wouldn’t screw me over so a wasn’t interested in sinking my life savings into a large scale grow. However, current changes in the laws in my state and the feds now seemingly backing down a bit have me thinking that this is a good time to take it up a notch. So I’ll need a bigger growing operation, one with more space to sprawl out a bit. I own my property and have room for at least one or two greenhouses.
    One of the blades here ( you know who you are ... @Patanjali ...) posted pics of the new Nexus greenhouse that the outfit he works with just put up. Since then I’ve been geeking out and daydreaming of a controlled environment agricultural structure of my own, and the possibility of what I could produce in a year round indoor garden.
    These things are insanely cool. They have been at this for a long time and offer a ton of options, including models that are specifically designed for cannabis production. Security, automation, light deprivation or augmentation, HVAC, passive or mechanical cooling systems, and all this rated for any weather climate.
    I’ll post a link or two.
    There’s a couple of competing companies out there as well, but Nexus seems like they are the top of the food chain. But they are proud of them.... pretty friggin expensive if they do the whole package. I’ve been in construction and know plenty of builders that can help keep the construction costs down, but this will still be a long term investment to be sure.
    I’d love to hear feedback from anyone who has dealt with Nexus greenhouses, and what you’re thoughts are about their cost effectiveness. Also interested in other options.... but they need to be solid structures capable of high wind and big snow loads, so hoopers are out!
    Check these bad boys out...
    Nexus System 420 Hybrid Greenhouses
    Nexus System 420 Hybrid Greenhouses :: Greenhouse Structures for Marijuana Greenhouses
    Nexus System 420 Hybrid Greenhouses :: Vail-Traditional

2. I would look more into what it takes to get and maintain the licenses first. They try their best to make it almost impossible where I live to get the licenses and permits in place. It takes years unless you are really loaded and can hire a good attorney to handle the red tape.
    cheers
    os

3. @Organic sinse , good point. I’ll check out my local building codes. I live in a rural area that is pretty lax on all things permitted related. I did a full addition to my shop a couple of years ago and didn’t see a single inspector. I already have the cultivation license and permits in place.
    @Patanjali those Freedom setups look pretty nice, but definitely a lower caliber from what I could tell. They look like they would be sweet in a little bit more mild climate. I definitely am not in a mild climate... you know what I mean! I saw frames bolted together, not welded. The poly sheeting vs the poly paneling seemed like it wouldn’t hold up to the high winds and potentially crushing snow loads. And the light dep system I saw seemed like it was rolled out over the outside of the tent vs the inside, which again seems like it wouldn’t work well with crappy weather. I’ll look into them more when I have more time though.
    I really like the concrete slab option. With the epoxy coating and a central drain it would be damn near perfect. I currently have that set up in my small grow and it’s friggin priceless!
    Did you guys go with the radiant floor heat? Did it keep things warm during February?

4. #5 Possuum, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    ok, i'll be the devils advocate. imo your plan is so loaded with risk that it deserves closer review and inspection before pulling the trigger on "bigger must be better". i have reviewed what i believe to be your state's mmp laws so i'm kinda familiar with what they say but ill table my comments on that for now.

have you considered a pole building vs a greenhouse and performed an actual cost analysis over 3-5 years, which should include a minimum of 5 harvests a year after 14 months if using a pole barn type structure?

idk man. bigger isnt always better and sometimes less is more. and, if you're thinking about going bigger whatever you do do not bypass any local building permits, fire marshall inspections, or to circumvent any state law. i know people are doing these operations and i also know the feds are still cracking down. look at what happened in CO just last week. if i were going to attempt what i think you're going to attempt and i couldnt be talked out of it i would seriously consider a pole barn operation for many, many, good reasons.

not intending to pop your bubble, rather, i'm intending to encourage critical thinking. hope this makes sense and wish you well in your endeavors.

5. Heh heh... no worries, I like a little conversation with the devil from time to time!
    But yes, I’ll admit to some daydreaming going on here. Any expansion will be incremental. One thing that’s not going to happen is teaming up with an “ investor “. Whatever happens will be on my own, hence the baby’s steps so far.
    If I had the scratch tho.... damn.
    Another option for me is to ditch the cannabis industry altogether and just go all food plots. Our cannabis industry seems a bit volatile, and I’m not sure I want to try to keep up with it. I’ve been turning out some awesome tomatoes out of the corners of my current beds. They just sprouted out of my compost I guess, but with zero attention ( no trellis, just piled the vines in a heap on top of themselves ) they are producing some of the best tomatoes I’ve ever had. I’m curious what I could do if I put some effort into it. How much is a crate full of the best organically grown maters worth to chefs in the middle of the winter? Or asparagus... hmmmmm.
    I’m hoping to do this at a moderate scale. I agree on the bigger is not always better approach. I have more space in the current warehouse style grow that I could improve and move into, but it’s all indoors, no sunlight. Looking at things yesterday, i also have one long wall of the shop that faces south. Maybe a good sized lean to style greenhouse would be sufficient.

• Like Like x 2
  6. yeah @JMcGD i like your vision. i think there's a niche to fill in chef kitchens and a great (not just good) winter tomato is worth the extra $$$'s even for the average customer. i think it would be a good idea to pursue for myself but i'm not in a 420-friendly state and i dont want any word on the street to be that i'm the go-to guy for winter tomatoes lol. i already freak out when someone turns around in my driveway.

good fortune with your visions and seriously consider a pole barn even with just a gravel floor. you could grow many, many, harvests of "winter tomatoes" all year long.

7. Hmmm... I’m not sure I can wrap my head around the gravel floor. MT winters are long and brutal. We saw negative 15 to 30 for three straight weeks this year. I know it’s abig up front expense, but in floor radiant heat seems like the way to go. I heat my home this way and it’s really efficient once installed. Any ideas on passive heating in the winter are welcome!