Does my MH light need an exhaust fan? Site doesnt mention it.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by wunschshrek, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I purchased a 'complete' grow system. It is a 250 Watt MH Light. Nowhere in the instructions does it mention hooking up an exhaust fan, and on the website i bought it from, the item mentions no need for an exhaust fan (on other items in the website it says you will need one).

However I just hooked it all up, after about 2 minutes of it being on I touched the lightbulb and it was very hot, after about a second it was to hot for comfort. Do I need an ehaust fan for this? I plan on having a small 12 inch or so fan on blowing towards the wall to circulate and simulate a breeze inside the grow closet. What do you think?

Here is a link to the lighting system I purchased.

http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/customkititems.asp?kc=HLMH02MAX&eq=

Sorry about asking so many questions, but this could potentially be a fire hazard if I was wrong and it does need an exhaust fan, but atm I am leaning towards it not needing one.

Thanks.

Joe.

2. MH and HPS lamps put out a lot of heat but you shouldn't need an exhaust fan unless your growspace gets too hot.

3. Dude. Don't touch the bulb. Now, when the light has turned off and cooled (at least 15 minutes after being turned off), you are going to have to take a soft cloth and GENTLY clean off the finger prints that you left on the bulb. Next, how big is your grow space? This is very important if we are to determine your exhaust needs. Your 12 inch fan is a necessary thing to have as well.

4. Ahh ok, woops! Going to have to wipe off the bulb. I didn't realize that could damage it. The growing space is my walk in closet, which is about 6 feet long x 3.5 - 4 feet wide and around 12 feet high. I have the light hanging right down the middle of it, 3 pots forming a triangle shape underneath it.

Also as of right now I have my clothes hanging on one side of the cloest, I know that is not best for reflection purposes, but I moved as much as I could out I pretty much ran out of dresser space, I have two and they were already pretty full before I started unloaded the closet.

Joe

5. Hi Joe,
    Don't worry about it. Now you know not to touch it. As for exhaust, in my opinion your room will be ok temperature wise without the exhaust but with the fan. An exhaust is always best to get stale air out but, I think your fan blowing the air around in that space shold be fine. Good luck, Matt