Does my flowering room have to be completely dark?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Soomka, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Like the title says, my flowering room hasn't been getting totally dark, just enough so you can see a little..

IMO i don't think having a little light is doing any harm, so far.. Anyways, some advice would be great

2. Yes it needs to be totally dark, it can stress the plants.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. not only does it need to be completely dark, but it also needs to be UNINTERUPTED dark.

4. What about the moon and stars, they provide some light when its dark to outside plants.

I also recall my dad telling me he just put an umbrella by one of his plants and the shade made it bud.

Does stress always turn them male?

5. It can make them hermi and can also slow down growth. The moon is basically the same as having a light leak.

6. adhere to this guys words,,,, 100%,,, or youll wish youd had,,,,, growing inside is nothing like outside growing,,, so quit trying to compare the 2.....

COMPLETE, UNITERRUPTED DARKNESS.....:devious:

• Like Like x 1
  7. ^^^^ what he said, nomatter what, you will never be able to completely replicate the moon, or sunlight for that matter.

There is nothing magic about the dark periods, but it is these peiords that the plant can switch from photosynthesis mode and make its sugars and get itself ready to grow/flower during the next day. Like sleep for the plant. When you interupped this "sleep" you interfear with the plants ability to grow/flower.

Think about it, its not like at 2 in the morning the sun flashes up for a few seconds filling the sky with light.

And no, lightning doest count.

What you are trying to do is "mimic" conditions. You have no stars or planets in your cab/growroom, so comparing the two is like aplles to oranges.

I assume( dont quote me on this ) that is is not so much the amount of darkness, more the light/dark patterns you get your plant accustom too. If you were sleeping in a dark room, and some asshole turned on the lights, you would wake up, come out of your R.E.M. sleep which is when your body produces chemicals to get you ready for the next day. Thus disturbing your natural pattern, and interfearing with your growth/health/cell productivity. The plant is no different.

GJ

• Like Like x 1
  8. I wouldnt worry if your grow room wasnt 100% light proofed. I believe that more than anything it is the consistency of the light that is important. As long as there is no sudden interruption to that pattern, I think your plants will be nice and relaxed. I have mine in a walk in closet with sliding doors and there are slight light cracks and its fine.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Good to hear I build a wall and put a curtain up was worried because I can see a little ambient light is present. 1540297215827.jpg

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Seal it up. Light leaks lead to hermies, especially on plants that have been stressed already

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. I won't accept any light leaks in my tent. Though I do question how all my neighbors plants growing on a patio that gets light interruptions every night grow just fine. No hermies, no plants reverting back to veg.

12. During the veg cycle it wont matter if the area has light leaks, any light cycle with more than 14.5 hours light will keep the plants growing in the vegetative state. When the plant goes into the flower cycle, it must be kept in uninterrupted dark period to initiate flowering. Any light source that emits more than 2 ft-candles of light will inhibit or stop flower initiation if repeated for several days.

The moon has no effect on photoperiod because it is not as intense as a 100W light. A full moon only emits about 0.02-0.03 ft-candles of light because the light intensity is directly proportional to the distance traveled, so it will not cause the plant to stop flowering. A 100W light is hundreds of times more intense lighting than the full moon. Some of the pilot lights on switches of other electric appliances in the grow room can even slow flowering.

This lighting interruption can be noticed in some of the large plants in Calif. which grow above the fence and the neighbor continually leaves the porch light on. The side of the plant with light interruption stays in vegetative growth while the dark side flowers normally.

PW

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 Bravedave, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Light leaks do NOT cause Hermies. No much Bullshit abounds. Yes, you should strive for 100% darkness but many have successful grows in less than perfect darkness. RM3 is probably the most famous and successful grower on the RIU site and he has spoken much about his less than dark grow area.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. @Soil2Coco Disagree all you want but Old wives tales are not science. Go check out RM3 on RIU. The guy who got me started also simply has a cloth curtain over a window in his grow room...for the last 30 years. For going on 5 years, I have had a clone cabinet in my grow room that uses a canvas cover with a velcro edge...light comes through that edge all day, everyday. Never had a hermie in my life...nor has my mentor. Just another scare tactic used on newbies to push optimal behavior. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  15. With today’s fem seeds created with stress and those growing from bag seed, is it advisable to take that chance? Obviously you know it takes some pretty extenuating circumstances to full on herm from light leaks but the other problems of reveging, extended flower time, airy buds, etc are all avoidable if one practices good lightproofing. Didn’t think it was worth a debate though.

• Like Like x 2
  16. I got a tent in a room that has serious light leaks and we use the room a lot. Never had an issue. Some times the rooms lights stay on the whole 12hr lights off in the tent period. A buddy of mine has a laundry room on the other side of his grow room. His wife is in and out of it several times a day and takes no precautions and has never had an issue in the 15 years or so I've known him.

17. i prefer a sealed area. if light can get in then so can unwanted inscets....
    im in the process right now of a remodel of my growroom..and id label it supersealed

IMG_20181012_182908213.jpg IMG_20181012_182724979.jpg IMG_20181012_182715422.jpg IMG_20181012_182656706.jpg

18. not to mention it will be soundproof...things make noise in a g-room....

my room light leak proof.....smell proof.....and sound-proof....

you could stand beside it and have no clue whats going on behind the ''master-door''

• Like Like x 1
  19. What the heck is going on in that picture with windows and the pvc like structure?

20. Good to know bro. At least it's only 8 or so weeks

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1