does marijuana weaken your immune system?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Ryan7926, May 27, 2009.

1. Yeah, that really is true because this whole Phoenix Tear stuff i've read about with that Rick Simpson guy... It sounds interesting, and I read a lot of the so-called 'customer reviews'.. I'd like to see it properly tested though, because that would be cool if it was true.

2. I am a person who is always sick. Typically I will get sick first and then catch it again on the tail end. It sucks. But since I have been smoking daily I won't say that I never get sick but it is rare, certainly for me.

3. I'm at the 5th day of having a cold and I've smoked weed every day and last night I smoke resin, has it made my cold worse no in fact my cold has never gone further than a cough and a runny nose, if anything marijuana is making my illness much easier to handle. Weed IS the answer to everything. :smoking:

4. I get sick once MAYBE twice a year.

5. (I know this thread is old, but the content is important.)

I am volunteering to be a guinea pig for this experiment. (obviously, my findings are going to be completely useless in any real scientific study, but hey, what the hell.)

Here's the deal. I'm a vaporist. I vaporize usually 3-4 times a day. I'm also (usually) healthy as an ox. I work out regularly, even run marathons, and haven't been sick in ages. However, recently, I started coming down with some respiratory congestion, a sore throat and a fever. Yesterday I vaped, and I noticed it got harder to talk because the vapor dried out my throat (this doesn't say anything about my immune system, though.) I also woke up sicker this morning, but I stayed in bed all day, took some ibuprofen and I feel better. I havent vaped once today - but I am curious to see how it helps/hurts my condition.

Therefore, I am going to load up a couple of stems in my MyrtleZap, and report my findings here to Grasscity.

HOORAH!

6. You need to filter your vapor through a bong or something. It's the only way I vape.

7. Alright well, I vaped two stems last night after I posted this, and boy did I end up feeling worse.

I went to bed shivering violently, and I had a hard time falling asleep because I felt so crappy. I don't know if the weed made me feel like this, or it was just a coincidence with timing.

Either way, I won't be vaping again until I'm healthy.

8. from what iv heard it weakens part of it but strengthens some other parts. if you have a cold it wont pay to smoke cuz you need the part it weakens. however i currently have this respitory cough and im about to toke up. what ev

9. No idiot, it's because you vaped stems.:rolleyes:

If marijuana weakened your immune system they would have never used it as medicine for the past 5,000 years.

10. graveeedig

11. #72 Xmurf732X, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011

My opinion everyone reacts differently to different things in your system.. While iv'e never heard any talk about this, and i do not think it is true. If you feel this way, maybe smoking is not for you, or your sharing bongs with to many homeless people.

12. You definetly get sick more if you share bongs with a lot of people. or any smokables.

13. I usually suffer from asthma attacks, backpains and colds, but since I started smoking, I feel like my backpains went away and no asthma attack since 2009. Then one time, I ran out of weed for about 2 months, my backpains came back and so was my asthma. TRUE STORY. ;)

14. I haven't been to a hospital in 8 years...because Dr. Mary Jane is a damn good doctor.

15. #76 s0238640, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
    Speaking from a scientific/medical background.

Cannabis does not have a very big effect on our immune system. In general very little we do generally has much less affect on our immune system, that we think it does. Our immune system is incredibly complex and is active all the time (usually in the background), the biggest issue impacting it, is the genetics we are born with.
    Just because we smoked a spliff, doesn't mean all those million of millions, of immune cells are about to give up the fight.

Cannabis modulates our immune system in a few specific different and complex ways (still very far from understood). Also its very complex as sometimes dampening down the immune response (inflammation) is an essential key to the treatment of many diseases. This will have minor affects; but for most of us, the effects will be irrelevant. Smoking a spliff or two will neither make us get a cold, prevent us getting a cold nor slow down our recovery. The act of smoking however does increase the risk for respiratory infections; so if smoking worries you, then just vape or edibles.

@ Rhythm of Life
    I respect your brothers choice. But the article you cite, actually exemplifies how complex and little understood the effects of certain cannabis compounds have. The article presents evidence (mainly with mouse models) that show cannabis may inhibit some tumours but may not help with other tumours, from a clinical perspective, its extremely preliminary and contradictory data to say the least. Also cannabis has been used in cancer patients to help them successfully with putting on weight and dealing with the nausea of chemotherapy.
    To quote a very recent study review: "Cannabinoids....have some clinical merit both as an anti-emetic and appetite stimulant in cachexic patients. Recently, interest in developing cannabinoids as therapies has increased following reports that they possess anti-tumour properties. Research into cannabinoids as anti-cancer agents is in its infancy.... Impressive anti-cancer activities have been reported.... recent developments have highlighted a putative role for cannabinoids as anti-inflammatory agents. Chronic inflammation has been associated with neoplasia (cancer) for sometime, and as a consequence, reducing inflammation as a way of impacting cancer presents a new role for these compounds."

16. I'm not sure how old this thread is because I'm on my phone, sick, and high (checking = too much work lol)
    But yes, I vaporized last night (I have the flu) and my body aches went away and my head didn't hurt as bad
    (Thank god its an indica)

17. if you smoke while your sick, It probley will make you alot more sick.

Who smokes when there sick anyways? hahaha thats when you know you gotta take a break bro.

18. Yes, that makes so much sense, why VAPORIZE (not smoke) when your sick? (And just comming out of a \t10 day tbreak) when you can just pop a few tylenol's.... tamiflu's...Advills, and then STILL be in pain.

19. not sure if anyone's said this one about the 'flat earth' thing, but it's kind of funny that it's a popular misconception that people once thought the earth was flat..no society (or one that's had an impact on the world) has ever thought the earth was flat, those that did in ye olde times were laughed at like they were insane, probably just as they would today if they made such claims...thanks q.i. (bloody good show for ignorance that might have mmj info on it one day)