Does LST really speed up veg?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by jordan81795, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Title says it all

Thankyou

2. How about the complex answer? you think tying the plant down would increase your time in veg as the plant grows horizontally, not make it grow faster

3. No, lst is not going to speed up growth and topping certainly doesn't cause hermaphroditic plants. It is just another method of plant training, it doesn't speed up the growth.

PW

4. You don't have a clue, this is nothing but 9th grade chat room misinformation. I top my plants dozens of times each grow and have never hermied a plant in 45 years of growing.

PW

5. #5 RiZL, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
    I tend to agree...
    Topping during veg shouldn't cause a hermie. Stress-induced hermaphroditism happens when male flowers pop up on a flowering female when stress is applied.

All 5 of my current plants have been topped multiple times and haven't herm'd on me

6. I'm not disagreeing with you on the LST, I'm a fan of both methods mate :D

Alot of growers have different techniques that work best for them.

7. Dude, his original question wasnt "is topping faster then lst" it literally was, "does LTS speed up vegging" which it doesnt.

8. The rate of growth is dependent upon nutrient and water availability, temperatures conducive to growth, and intensity of the light source, not the style of training. Different pruning techniques do not speed up growth, it only transfers growth hormones to other plant parts, This is the same effect as tying the branch down horizontal to encourage the lower nodes to elongate. The hormones are then spread among the nodes creating new branches competing for dominance. This is the resulting effect, whether topping, fimming, lst, or using suppercropping techniques.

PW

9. The problem is the question itself -- LST does not "speed up" veg, it makes the plant veg in a very different way. "Veg" is just a plant life stage, it isn't something measurable that can be decided if it has been "sped up" or not.

It is very, very beneficial to us growers, that's what matters.

10. #11 CL4P-TP, Feb 24, 2013
    NO TRAINING REGIMENT SPEEDS UP GROWTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets just get that clear, off the top.

As per topping causing hermaphrodites .........Learn to grow better man.

11. LOL. I'll bet I've topped more pot plants then you've ever seen.

I don't get hermies.......

12. #13 CL4P-TP, Feb 24, 2013
    True....

So hows about you spend some time in my photo gallery, and show me the hermies in my topped/supercropped plants.:wave:

EDIT: between Pointswest and I, you are dealing with damn near 75 years of combined growing experience..... doesn't that set off warning bells about your assumptions.

13. Ummm no. The damage is happening in veg.

Damage during flower sets off the "ohh shit" alarm that causes sexual reversal, almost never does it happen in vegative cycle.

• Like Like x 1

14. If you have to keep low plant numbers LST rocks, no doubt.:cool:

When you start counting em by the dozen...you just pop the tops off with a flick of the thumb against your forefinger.

I can see where some might confuse the stretch that happens when you shift auxin production as speeding up growth. But it is only a stretch, not more nodes.

15. Well here evidence topping does not cause male or herm

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

16. Posts with false information removed, thread moved to plant training.