does low wattage need a ballast

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mary.reef1, Mar 31, 2014.

1. im still in the process of getting all of my materials ....luckily im pretty handy with electrical stuff so I can set up a lot of it im planning on getting a jardin twin 2.5 and fit it with the lights and fans as needed anywhays here is my question.....my lighting will consist of one 200 watt cfl (true wattage 600+ watt equivalent) 6 t5 florescent tubes on 3 of the wallz...in my cfl fixture I want to outfit it with 2 12 wat led lights and 2 50 watt HPS lights.....when I calculated it it was about 40,000 lumens I wold 1st grow 5 plants in a soil base.....my question is simple do 50 watt hps (for that matter 5o watt hid lights) need a ballast? I just want to make sure I don't want my light to explode or not work correctly......

questions

1.do 50 watt HPS need a ballast to work??

2. is my lightin construct inough for 5 plants should I put more lights less
    etc ?

2. I'm trying to figure out how you're going to get a high pressure sodium light in a compact fluorescent light fixture...

3. I'm trying to figure out how you're going to get a high pressure sodium light in a compact fluorescent light fixture...

im pretty sufficient with a drill and and screws all I need to do is keep the cfl in place and put the hps light socket on the corner

4. Any hps, metal halide, or floro light requires a ballast.

5. Have you price checked all those parts and time to put them together against a standard Hid light? For example in currently using in my veg area a single 400 watt mh light in a hood with a ballast. It was approximately 120$

I've also got a hps light that would be used for a light post or something like that. Its a small bulb inside a box with a glass shield. Anyways I just wire nutted the connections to the end of a heavy duty extension cord. It works plugged right into the wall socket.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1290525-400w-MH/HPS-mixed

6. the price im looking at for my set up is currently 556 that includes everyhthing i need minus miscellaneous stuff i might have over looked so maybe 610

7. THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU