Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Does it always give you the munchies?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Donna7619, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Hi, I am new here and am going to get my card next week. I am a smoker from the 70's but now I am using it to replace my meds, that I have trouble getting now that I have no health insurance due to an error on my husbands paperwork.

Anyway, my question is, I do not want to gain anymore weight and am afraid if I start using on a regular basis I will. Does anyone know if there is weed out there that doesnt make you have the munchies? My husband says there is and the despensaries will have it listed that way. True or no?

PS This is a great great website. It is very hard to find up to date information.
    Thank you;)

2. If you THINK you will have the munchies, then you will suddenly SNAP and crave food.
    Its not really that your body is hungry, its just taht everything is better, sex food activities, but food is the stereotype and is most easily available because its our fuel.

3. I dont get munchies, some weed will make me want to just have some sweets and stuff, but its not like I take a puff and run to my kitchen. im going to huntington beach very soon lol

4. Welcome to the City! I've got no knowledge of how the legal ganj world works...the east coast is lacking in that regard. However, I know I rarely get'em at all...and I'm sure there's more than a few strains/phenotypes that don't emphasize that quality.

5. there are strains that don't stimulate your appetite but i don't know what they're called, and if the dispensaries might know if they don't i guess just start trying them til you find one that you like

6. I dont get the munchies immediately after smoking like everybody else does which leads me to believe that most people think they are hungry when they are not, a placebo if you will. In fact, I can barely take a bite outta food right after I smoke for some reason.

The hunger comes after about an hour or so for me.

7. Im sorry, i ddint read that correctly, i just want o add to what i said before. There is Sativa and Indica. GENERALLY speaking, indica will give a heavu body stone where you will want to sit around and snack, its what most patienst use for body ailments. Sativa, on the complete other hand, gives a euphoric head high and makes you want to get up and do shit

8. When i smoke indica, i get the munchies. If i have a real body high, all I do is eat, alottt. If its a body high, i listen to music and chill out.

9. yeah most of the time you will but i think it fastens you motabolism so im not sure if you will gain weight. maybe you will be lucky and crave something healthy liek carrots

10. It kind of depends on your ailment. If you're looking to reduce pain, you'll probably get an indica strain which is more of a body high and also causes munchies. Sativas give you more of a head high along with more energy as opposed to if you smoked indica. Of course it can all come down to self control. If you cant, eat healthier foods like fruits or vegetables. I've heard that those slimquick drinks/bars really fill you up so maybe even give that a try.

11. Wow. How did so many people see this so fast? Thank you for your responses. So it looks like the Sativa is the kind for me. The street weed that I have ever gotten just about always makes me want to eat right away. Which, I have also heard takes the high away. But I could sit and eat an entire bag of m and m's. I already have an addictive personality and look for chocolate when I am down, bored, or high.

;)

12. one drug at a time, chocolate included. lol
    Most ['street weed']is indica dominent. You can also get a head high from almost any bud with a vaporizer.

13. Good to know....Very helpful. Thanks a bunch.
    ;)

14. You can learn to control your munchies. If you get hungry when you're high, just don't eat. You'll get munchies less and less. One of the reasons munchies affect people so much is they eat every time they get high, connecting the two in their brain. It just takes a little self control to disconnect them and after that you should be fine.

I no longer get munchies when I'm high. :hello:

15. i never get the munchies, but if i start eating i cant really stop till i get a decent amount of food in me

16. Woah, like the only person that formats text beyond bolding. lol

17. I try to not eat anything when I'm high because I know that once I do I won't be able to stop eating.

18. Your body contains specialized proteins called cannabinoid receptors. (Broadly speaking, receptors react to certain stimuli and produce certain results.) The best-known cannabinoid is delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, the principal psychoactive ingredient of weed (aka cannabis). Far more important from the body's standpoint, however, are the endogenous (i.e., internally synthesized) cannabinoids, endocannabinoids for short, which work like neurotransmitters and are produced as part of the built-in apparatus by which peripheral parts of the body inform the brain that it's lunchtime. Endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors are abundant in the hypothalamus, the region of the brain that plays a pivotal role in appetite regulation. In 1992 researchers identified the first endocannabinoid and named it anandamide, from the Sanskrit ananda, meaning inner bliss. In other words, when you smoke dope, you're replicating (albeit with much greater intensity) an effect the body produces naturally for itself. You will always have the inclination to eat when you are high, however one can abstain from these urges by practicing a little self-control.

Also,

"The researchers concluded that their findings "are consistent with the hypothesis that the integration of endocannabinoid and leptin signaling regulates the excitability of neurons on appetite-related circuits."

They also wrote that "the cellular mechanisms of recently developed antiobesity drugs, such as rimonabant, may include decreased endocannabinoid signaling and hence decreased excitability of LH circuits related to appetite, even in the context of leptin insufficiency or resistance."

Machinery Of The 'Marijuana Munchies'

19. Wow that was a lot to take in. I think I get the picture......self control. I have little or no self control and will concentrate on getting the Sativa type of weed as well as making sure I eat before I vaporize. Thanks!;)

20. Like alot of these peeps have said, it's all a matter of willpower.

I used to get the munchies alot when I first started smoking, and learned over time that eating kills the buzz and painkilling properties. So I forcibly cut out the munching. It's worked over time and now I don't get the munchies very often, and when I do it's because I've not eaten.

So, I tend to pre-eat when I know I haven't had anything and am ready to smoke a bowl.

Otherwise, if the hunger isn't making me feel ill, I wait for awhile and then eat and smoke some more. Also counts as pre-eating, I think...

Good luck!